Coolpix A

124»

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Yes Ade you are correct. I confirmed that after pulling out my Coolpix A.

Bluesman, did your P7800 work the way you are hoping your Coolpix A works?
    So they are discontinuing this camera it seems.

I have really enjoyed mine. Even 1 year after release, it is the best IQ that fits in a shirt pocket - the closest competitor being the Ricoh GR (which I admit is pretty close). Flexible, no.......you can have any focal length you want as long as it is 28mm (FX Equivalent). But if they put a zoom on it, then it wouldn't have the best wide angle lens available in a sub-FX format. It is a brilliant pocketable landscape camera that has occasionally made me wonder if I overpaid for my D800 (but only for a few seconds).

I find the discussion in this thread quite interesting. Lot's of discussion about price, the sensor, lack of zoom.....but little about where this camera really shines, the lens.

So I wonder if they will bring out a replacement and what will it look like?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    An update seems likely, and hopefully they can find a way to make the body more compact, like the Ricoh GR. What I'm really hoping for would the release several models, like Sigma did with the DP series, that would offer alternative focal lengths. I'd rather having one with a 35mm or 50mm equivalent than 28mm.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    If they made a 20 and 50, I would buy both to complement my 28.

The size is OK for me. I don't own a shirt with a pocket to small for the Coolpix A.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I also think that Nikon will update the Colpix A. Though honestly, I would love to see a 35mm 1.8 lens on it.
    I see the appeal of a 35 1.8. However, if it no longer fits in my shirt pocket, then no. Let me hope that a 28 or 35 that fits in a shirt pocket, is as fast as possible, all without sacrificing lens IQ is Nikon's objective. I assume that it would also have the D7100's 24 megapixel sensor.

And perhaps a few years down the road this will evolve into a mirror less DX inter-changeable lens format. However, I don't think that Nikon will be ready to abandon the DX/f-mount combo for a while.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I also think that Nikon will update the Colpix A. Though honestly, I would love to see a 35mm 1.8 lens on it.
    If they sell it at $1000 though, why would I buy one? I could get a D3300 with a 35mm 1.8. Size is a small price to pay for interchangeable lenses.

They need to drop it down to at least around $800.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    size and image quality is all that matters for me in this class. try to fit D3300 + 35/1.8 in your pocket :)
    edited July 2014
    No kidding.

Also, let's look at it from the perspective of the lens. Let's consider that the Coolpix A is an 18.5mm DX (equivalent to 28mm FX). What are your lens options?

DX:
    10-24 3.5-5.6. This lens is a thousand, slower and almost certainly inferior IQ.
    12-24 4.0. Same as above except $1,300.
    16-85 3.5. Same as above except $750. The cheapest of the bunch.
    17-55 2.8. Finally a 2.8! But $1,700 and likely inferior IQ.
    18-x zooms of various f-stops. These range in price from a bit over a hundred to a bit over a thousand. All will have inferior IQ. None are faster than f/3.5.
    35mm 1.8 as mentioned above. This is the wrong focal length.
    Sigma 18-35. This might do it and it is faster (f/1.8, which is about f/2.8 in FX). It is about $800. This won't fit in your shirt pocket though and it is even big and heavy for a DSLR.

Conclusion:
    With the possible exception of the Sigma, no competitors to the Coolpix A on IQ (maybe the 17-55 2.8 if you are not too fussy) and the closest competitors are much more costly once you add the camera to the lens.

FX:
    20 mm 2.8 (AF or MF). Maybe. I have the MF version. I think that the Coolpix A has less distortion and what there is is easier to correct. This lens is in the $600 to $700 range. Let's stipulate that it is close enough in IQ not to matter. But it won't fit in your shirt pocket.
    There is the 16-35 f/4 and 17-35 f/2.8. Both are way over $1,000 and likely do not have superior IQ. Through in the cost of the camera and get a REALLY BIG POCKET.

This is why I think that the Coolpix A is such a great camera and why I snapped it up as soon as it came out.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2014
    One thing that gets overlooked and probably contributes to the 'lense quality' is the offset micro lense on the sensor which reduces vignetting.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

So the Blog says the Coolpix A has dropped in price to $699.00. I would be curious what people think of this camera for that price.
    i am looking at it again.. I have been needing a 28mm FOV to complement my 70-200 which is welded on to my D610.. dunno.. i think i NEED a D750 more !! ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    i am looking at it again.. I have been needing a 28mm FOV to complement my 70-200 which is welded on to my D610.. dunno.. i think i NEED a D750 more !! ;-)
    Go for it. The improved spread of the AF points, 51 instead of 39, and low light sensitivity makes this an easy decision.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited October 2014
    So the Blog says the Coolpix A has dropped in price to $699.00. I would be curious what people think of this camera for that price.
    Most dealers seem to be pushing it even lower to $599. One shop in Greater Vancouver even has them on sale for $539.

Got to say that even at that price it's hard to justify when you can get a far more capable D3200 and use any lens you want with it for $100 less. I'll stick with my original thoughts about the camera, 1) too expensive (yes even now) and 2) If it had a more useful focal length equivalent (35mm or 50mm) lens it would be more interesting.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    Most dealers seem to be pushing it even lower to $599. One shop in Greater Vancouver even has them on sale for $539.

Got to say that even at that price it's hard to justify when you can get a far more capable D3200 and use any lens you want with it for $100 less. I'll stick with my original thoughts about the camera, 1) too expensive (yes even now) and 2) If it had a more useful focal length equivalent (35mm or 50mm) lens it would be more interesting.
    Sure you could get a D3200 for less, but isn't that 18mm lens pretty good? I don't recall exactly, but I thought it was supposed to be extremely sharp - even wide open. So, the Coolpix A would have a better lens than you can get for the D3200 (I don't think you can get an 18mm prime) - and the Coolpix A is more portable.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I'm going to take a look at it this weekend at my local dealer. I am intrigued by some of the tech like the offset micro-lenses
    edited October 2014
    uld get a D3200 for less, but isn't that 18mm lens pretty good? I don't recall exactly, but I thought it was supposed to be extremely sharp - even wide open. So, the Coolpix A would have a better lens than you can get for the D3200 (I don't think you can get an 18mm prime) - and the Coolpix A is more portable.
    Guess you missed the part where I commented the 18mm lens (aka 28mm equivalent) isn't a selling point, from my point of view. While a D3200 with a 35mm F1.8G DX lens isn't as compact, it's about the same price and most likely will perform better in terms of auto focus, have better battery life, and has an optical viewfinder.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    CoolpixA price drop again on the main blog $329 refurbished.

• HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    And it is ridiculous that eBay has them from $450 and up...
    $299.95 from the main blog ! Replacement coming ? Mirrorless Nikon DX system ?

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That would be nice. Though I am a little sad if they don't replace it. I own the silver version. The Coolpix A is the best camera money can buy that fits in my shirt or suit pocket, even after two years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    Think so too, but last week I had the new Canon M3 in my hands on a photo fair. As small as the Coolpix A, 24mp APS-C, can change lenses and is priced € 629.-(body only). No viewfinder (€ 250.- extra). Nikon please ..... I look out for tests.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!