Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015
    Ken Rockwell
    I don't use Lightroom, which is too casual for me

???? what is he on ????
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @sevencrossing: Pot is now legal in many US states - that might be it?
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    On my old machine everything seems to run a lot faster, but the Facial Recognition feature does take a long, long time. I quickly found out it was better to take one shoot at a time, as the stacks that Lightroom suggested had quite a lot of errors at first, but got better as I went along. Not nearly done by far though, this will take a while until I got all known faces tagged :-)
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Apologies for hijacking this, but I think a few of you on this thread may have some experience. With Aperture's days winding down, I believe I will now migrate my library (17k+ images) to LR and PS in the cloud. How much pain am I looking at (in terms of both the migration and the learning of the new interface)? I've been dreading it, but given the sneak peeks of the Photos app, I don't believe I can stay with Apple.
    edited April 2015
    How much pain am I looking at (in terms of both the migration and the learning of the new interface)? .
    If you have a fast computer, not too much
    a fast internet connection will be good for looking at all the online help

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited April 2015
    If you like me have identified faces on your entire Aperture library, it is a BIG deal.

However, you can choose to either a) import from scratch, in which case 17K images is not that bad, or b) install the LR plug-in for importing from Aperture, and use that. That is painless, and it explains what you can take with you.
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yup, tried that, it starts at the correct page for about 1/2 second then flips to 404 page not found. I have three machines and it is the same on all three which is why I asked the question here.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Ken Rockwell
    I don't use Lightroom, which is too casual for me

???? what is he on ????
    Didn't you know, KR only uses a D40 on default jpeg settings. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2015
    Yup, tried that, it starts at the correct page for about 1/2 second then flips to 404 page not found. I have three machines and it is the same on all three which is why I asked the question here.
    works for me on my laptop win 8. My desktop win 7. my Kindle and my Samsung phone all using chrome
    Wow, don't you love technology.

Thanks Seven, I take for sure then that it doesn't want me to upgrade. X(
    Always learning.
    At the risk a teaching my granny ...Have you scanned for malware
    with something like avast grime fighter ?
    could your ISP be blocking it
    have you tried a different browser
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    Excuse my ignorance but would having Lightroom CC cause any issues using tether capture if you do not have internet access at the location you are shooting? Is the locally installed program all you need for this?
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
    @sevencrossing: It is wierd because all other links to other products work as they should, it is only LR that doesn't - whatever way I try to get it. I had the pop-up telling me an upgrade is available and it even 404'd me then! Whatever, I give up.

@dpidude: From what I unnerstan about shooting tethered in lightroom, I don't expect you to have any problem at all using CC tethered off-line. I do shoot tethered myself.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Excuse my ignorance but would having Lightroom CC cause any issues using tether capture if you do not have internet access at the location you are shooting? Is the locally installed program all you need for this?
    There shouldn't be any problem. The internet access is only required for registration checks every 30 days, IIRC.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @spray, have you cleared your cache and reset your cookies? Do you allow cookies from Adobe?
  • MiniD3MiniD3 Posts: 2Member
    Hi spraynpray,
    Just log out of CC, then log back in again, that launches the upgrade
    A note from Adobe prior to launch would have made it a whole lot easier
    ......Gary
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Just to clarify what MiniD3 says, You have to go into the iCloud menu There is a small gearwheel on the top right hand side, press this and you will see preferences in the menu, press this and you then be able to to sign out Re-sign in and all works Hopefully I agree with Mini D3 Adobe could have made it clearer.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    Right, now I am starting to maybe see a possible problem: I don't have CC, I have LR5.7 installed but I got an upgrade pop-up. When I clicked on that I got 404'd. I then tried every other way of getting the upgrade and got the same result - error 404. If the problem is that the upgrade is only for CC users (I thought CC upgraded silently in the background), then why am I able to use PS (and other program) links normally?
    Always learning.
    edited May 2015
    Sorry S&P
    I also have LR5.7 and the pop up works
    I don't have LR on my phone or my Kindle

Yeah, beats me. I'll try what @Ironheart suggests as he usually knows his onions.
    Always learning.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited May 2015
    Wow scary to hear Lightroom CC is such a RAM pig. Everyone is okay using 16GB of RAM then? Can't wait to upgrade my computer I've been saving up for months now.... :(
    Post edited by kanuck on
    Wow scary to hear Lightroom CC is such a RAM pig. Everyone is okay using 16GB of RAM then? Can't wait to upgrade my computer I've been saving up for months now.... :(
    Looks like I'll be sticking to my old LR5.7 for a good while then.
    Always learning.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    If I keep using Lightroom I'll be switching off the GPU acceleration. It takes forever to load D810 RAWs. I'm not sure why this was deemed acceptable for launch. Because of this I'm testing out Capture One instead and it loads D810 files like a champ. The RAW processing seems to be pretty stellar, although I've only edited a handful of images so far right now. I do like the interface of Lightroom better, especially the brushes I feel like I can tell what's going on better when I'm applying them. I'm sure once I'm more comfortable with C1 it will be less of an issue. Unless they fix the file loading issue, I may have to make the switch.
    It takes forever to load D810 RAWs.
    Is this when importing or when editing a file that has already been imported

what is your computer spec?

( perhaps everyone could their computer spec when commenting on LR speed)

It takes forever to load D810 RAWs.
    Is this when importing or when editing a file that has already been imported

what is your computer spec?

( perhaps everyone could their computer spec when commenting on LR speed)

Mine would say 'steam'...
    Always learning.