Lightroom CC

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Mine would say 'steam'..

1956, 5 MB hard drive

• nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    It's when I select an image in the develop module. From the time I click the image until the time the image is viewable at full sharpness and all develop adjustments are applied is extremely slow. I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro quad core 3.0GHz processor with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5. I'm also running Mavericks. I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. Turning off the GPU acceleration loads images exactly like LR5 although C1 still seems much faster regardless.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    IMO, unless you have a 2GB or higher dedicated graphics card, you should turn off the acceleration.

Once I turned it off on my MBP (running the Intel Iris Graphics), it sped up considerably.

Also, based on what I have read, the import process is not using the graphics acceleration, only a few things in the Develop module. However, I feel that there is a bug or other tasks are being affected by that "feature" in the new software.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Wow scary to hear Lightroom CC is such a RAM pig. Everyone is okay using 16GB of RAM then? Can't wait to upgrade my computer I've been saving up for months now.... :(
    16gb is good but not enough. I find my MBP using up almost all of it down to maybe a few megs free. I have an app that relocates the memory and frees it up a bit.

I actually like the upgrade. I do get more beach balls then before but I don't see much of a slow down and I'm not sure that I see a speed increase either. I do see that it doesn't lag as much when using the brush or multiple brushes which was very annoying in the previous version.

What I have been doing is importing the photos depending how many per shoot on the SSD main drive and viewing them at a glance just so that it generates what needs to be generated. Then I move them via lightroom to the Hard drive. Then I make a collection and sync it with lighroom mobile where on the ipad and iphone I am able to flag, star, basic edit the photos. Once that is done I come back to the Mac and start editing. This seems to help a bit at least going from one image to another there is no more lag in loading the photo.
    @hammie I'm going to check my mac i think i maxed it out its a 2012 mbp. How do you turn on/off accelaration?

Also this might be some use to some of you to get the previews quickly and the starring transfers to lightroom
    Link to fstoppers on1 free software
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @Vipmediastar_JZ --

Go to the top menu... Lightroom>Preferences. Then select Performance. Uncheck the box Done.
    edited May 2015
    Thanks.

Edit: I checked mine is 1gb of VRAM so i turned it off. Thanks for the tip.

Also after upgrading to Lighrtoom CC the backup location was changed to a default location. I changed it back to my place of choice.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Agreed I would like to know the specs people are running especially D800 owners. Surely Lightroom CC runs alright with 16 GB RAM. God I won't seriously need 24GB+ already will I? I thought only Canon 5D R owners would be needing it :D
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    LR CC is definitely faster than LR 5. I couldn't even import my files in LR 5, and now with LR CC it is smooth importing. If I select a picture in "Library", and then select "Developer", it takes about 1 sec. and the picture is fully loaded, color and details. It doesn't matter if I turn off or on the graphics acceleration.

I am using a Mac Pro 2013, 6-core, 2xD700 graphicscards, 64GB RAM. All files are stored on my ReadyNAS, and I am using LR CC on Yosemite.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Agreed I would like to know the specs people are running especially D800 owners. Surely Lightroom CC runs alright with 16 GB RAM. God I won't seriously need 24GB+ already will I? I thought only Canon 5D R owners would be needing it :D
    16GB of RAM should be fine. Even marking panos in LR CC with a large number of images seems to only take 6-8GB of RAM. CPU and GPU speed seem to matter more. I honestly cannot say that LR CC is any faster or slower than LR5, other than that exports seem quicker.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Wow, such wildly varying experiences of computers performance using the same software.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suspect I will purchase the latest from Adobe, the subscription, possibly, but will wait until I have my Mac with the fancy display, and use it primarily for photos and graphics.

The power of all these new programs is rather overwhelming for me. But, at least i can use some of the tools they offer.
    Msmoto, mod
  • nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    @Msmoto, I know how you feel! I was overwhelmed too at first. I had only used aperture and I'm not so computer savvy. Just get the subscription and and subscribe to adobe's you tube channel. Now I'm starting to get the hang of it and love it.
    Wow, such wildly varying experiences of computers performance using the same software.
    Not suprising, Adobe has likley optimized the software to better take advantage of newer hardware. Not just raw speed of newer hardware, but the more advanced algorithms that it can handle. As a result users of newer hardware should see a big leap in performance, as @Killerbob has. Users of higher end older hardware, like myself, see almost no change, and users of older lower end hardware likely see a drop in performance. Software has always behaved this way, and will continue to do so as long as the hardware advances.
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    I have a relatively new MacBook Pro with 750 GB solid state drive and 16GB of RAM. My D800 images are just fine...and faster than LR 5
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    given the wildly varying specification of our computers, probably not too surprising
    Be carefull updating to the latest CC update.

Several reports include D810 camera profiles changing and third party Plugin's not working.
    There are some fixes for those issues but I haven't looked much into them since I haven't updated it myself.
    I upgraded yesterday, and haven't had any problems. My NIK and Topaz plugins seemed to work just fine. I just had to copy the plugin folder from the "old" folder...

As for the D810 profile, what is supposed to be the problem?
    edited June 2015
    from DPR
    Do not install the latest update yet! There is a bug in it, as the Adobe Standard camera profile is missing and, when you open an existing image in Develop that you already have worked on, LR will immediately apply the Camera Flat profile to it (messing up your work). The problem applies to the D810, I'm not sure about any other cameras.
    Your fix of the plugins seems to be the current work around. I use NIK as well but I'm in no hurry to update until I finish my current work. Once I'm done I'll update or if there is newer update i'll do that.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    You're right, the Camera Profiles are screwed up in the new LR/PS/ARC... It only affects RAW files, but it does affect edited ones as well... I am sure Adobe is going to be quick with a fix, but I wonder what will happen to files which have been affected? It might be a non-issue, and let's hope it is soon. I am definately not going to reinstall the old LR.
    No problems with camera profiles and the D750, edited or not.
    If you were holding off on installing LR CC for the D810 it has been fixed according to Adobe.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/lightroom-6-1-1-is-now-available.html
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    Are all of you guys MAC people? I'm running LR4 (yes, old I know) on a PC. Its a core i7-4770k overclocked to 5 Ghz on water plus an overclocked GTX 780Ti videocard. I've never had a problem with the speed of LR. I also work off an SSD, not an HD, then move to archive when I'm done post processing. But I only have 8 GB ram. I really don't think ram is an issue with LR4. At least my old version, and I have a D800 and shoot raw, so my files are plently large. What type of processors are your MACs and do you have dedicated video cards? I think that's far more of an issue than RAM. is RAM really a limiting factor for lightroom CC? I'll be getting CC when I upgrade to a D5 (if my wife lets me get one) since I'm sure LR4 won't support the D5.
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
    For reference I can tell you that anything Adobe throws at my Mac Pro is a walk in the park. My nMP is kitted with the 6c 3,5GHz Intel Xeon, 64GB RAM, internal PCIe based 1TB storage (as well as externally housed SSDs in Raid0 using Thunderbolt2), 2 x AMD FirePro D700 6GB videocards, running on 2 x 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays. All-in-all a decent package for photography apps, as well as any other prosumer things I run on it. For storage I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6:)