Why I want a 50 MP FX Nikon

13»

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think Nikon will go for fast cameras in the next generation, so my guess is D830, and my wild quess is that it will be 72 mp.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think Nikon will go for fast cameras in the next generation,
    I think we have a slightly different definition of fast
    It can be ISO
    It can be pfs
    It can be shutter speed
    It can be focussing speed
    or a combination of the above
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Well, if it is 50 mp or even more, I'd say the fps will be pedestrian so it isn't that interpretation. Lower mp's are always better for hi ISO noise, so it isn't that either.
    Always learning.
    edited June 2015
    Well, if it is 50 mp or even more, I'd say the fps will be pedestrian
    I think a lot of us will have different definitions of pedestrian

In the 60s I used to think 4 fps was fast, and still do

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Sorry, I meant fast as in lots of fps.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Well, if it is 50 mp or even more, I'd say the fps will be pedestrian
    I think a lot of us will have different definitions of pedestrian

4 fps was still fast in the '70's but we are in the here and now where 11-14 fps is possible so 4 fps is very pedestrian. If Snakebunk's wild guess (hope) of 72mp comes true, then even 4 fps would be amazing.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited June 2015

Still living in the 60s? ;-) I live in the 60s too, 60fps. I was shooting an event the other day, and I was wondering why I was filling my memory card so fast, turns out I left it in 60fps mode. Dumped it down to 20fps and it was all good. No worries about closed eyes or open mouths at 20fps you can always find a good one.

To answer your earlier question, I think the 5Ds killer will be a D810x, or a D820
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    It does not seem that long ago, people were moaning about 36 mp filling up their hard drive etc
    and the time it takes to edit and pp a wedding
    Now people are hinting at 72 mp and 60 fps That's nearly 2 rolls of kodachrome a second

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    So what do people think Nikon's "answer" to the 5DS is likely to be

D750x
    D810x
    D900
    D4x
    D5
    FX mirrorless

Place your bets please

D900
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    D5x or FX mirrorless
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Maybe they will just use the newly announced 42MP Sony sensor in the A7rII. It has some new back-side illuminated technology that is supposed to enhance the sensors low-light capability without sacrificing the high mega-pixel count.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    and PDAF elements on the sensor, and sensor based VR.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    PDAF is built in on the sensor so yes that is possible and looks good. But sensor based VR that Sony has is not built in the sensor. The VR sensor housing was acquired from Olympus which Sony partly owns. Nikon does not have that technology.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    PDAF is built in on the sensor so yes that is possible and looks good. But sensor based VR that Sony has is not built in the sensor. The VR sensor housing was acquired from Olympus which Sony partly owns. Nikon does not have that technology.
    Yeah, its really interesting how much Sony is progressing. The sad part is also how much the price is progressing upwards. I think if they kept it at the old camera's price, a TON of Canon camera owners would have bitten and ordered it. At >$3K its a tougher sell. If Sony were really smart they would have released 2 versions: one camera at the $2K range that works with Sony lenses, and one camera more expensive in the $3K range that costs more because you can natively attach Canon lenses... that would have been huge and possibly a death blow to Canon's new 5DS.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2015
    Not anymore, Sony withdrew their holdings in Olympus a short time ago. In addition, if you look at the patients the Sony and Olympus in camera stabilization are not working on the same principal. Similar, but not the same.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Sony's biggest weakness is the lack of lenses in FE mount. Even the available Zeiss lenses are very expensive and not up to their Nikon or Canon counterparts.

An adapter that would couple the electrical connections and enable sensor PDAF for Nikon or Canon lenses would be a killer product.

Sigma has announced but not yet delivered their lenses in FE mount.

I am using a Sony A7II exclusively with MF Leica lenses, for which I considerit to be a superior mount to the Leica M240 at 1/4 the price.

The sensor, and EVF are much better than Leica's as well as AF aids.

Adding VR and a sensor capable of decent ISO performance to Leica's stunning F2 and F1.4 primes is amazing.

.... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.