D 810 Mode Dial Repair declined by Nikon under warranty

petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
My D810 is under warranty. After sending it in to Nikon UK to have the bright spot problem fixed some time ago, on return, the mode dial was always a little loose but worked. On a recent photo trip it came away from the body and I could no longer "push" it back into place so WB and ISO etc could not be altered. I could just about change the shooting mode. The mode dial has not been subject to any particular damage other than just hanging on and eventually damaging the tiny cables underneath. I look after the D810 with great care! However, Nikon are declining to repair this problem under warranty stating that physical damage is not covered under the warranty. If a part has fallen off, become loose or no longer functions, is this physical damage or something else? Should I make a fuss or accept this decision. I confirm that the item slowly become loose and was not the result, as far as I am aware, of some sudden event - there has not been any.

Any advice would be gratefully received. (Meanwhile I use my retired but solid, dependable, built like a tank D3X!!)

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I would ask, and they would too, why didn't you send it back while it was still loose and not damaged? From one perspective, you did cause the damage, because you continued to use it. If a wheel was loose on your car under warranty, would you not take it in before it completely fell off and caused even more damage?

All that being said, I would politely push back, ask to speak with a manager, etc... they should make it right.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suspect the fact it was loose after return from Nikon should have been mentioned to them immediately after return from its first repair trip. After several months Nikon no doubts believe you damaged it
    Msmoto, mod
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss a weakness in the D810 that was effected by repair. If you look at the tiny screw above the viewfinder, it alone holds the eyepiece in place at the top. I'm not going to disassemble mine to look for other weaknesses, but I no longer look at my D810 as robust. I also don't believe Nikon stands behind there products in the way they should.
    pictureted at flickr
    I also don't believe Nikon stands behind there products in the way they should.
    What causes you to believe this? So far I haven't seen an issue they haven't made right. Now sometimes it takes them a while, and a bit of a cattle prod (D600) but they eventually do the right thing.

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    This has not been my experience at all. In fact, last fall I sent a D800 in with a broken aperture arm that any idiot could have figured out was the result of "pilot error." Usually something like this costs $250-$300. Unfortunately, my warranty had expired 3 weeks prior. They fixed it free of charge, with the following message:

"Thank you for responding with the requested information. We have gone ahead and made service to your D800 under service order xxxxxx, a one time complimentary service for good customer relations. Your new estimate total is $0.00"

If that's not standing behind THEIR products I'm not sure what is.
    This has not been my experience at all. In fact, last fall I sent a D800 in with a broken aperture arm that any idiot could have figured out was the result of "pilot error." Usually something like this costs $250-$300. Unfortunately, my warranty had expired 3 weeks prior. They fixed it free of charge, with the following message:

"Thank you for responding with the requested information. We have gone ahead and made service to your D800 under service order xxxxxx, a one time complimentary service for good customer relations. Your new estimate total is $0.00"

If that's not standing behind THEIR products I'm not sure what is.
    I'm glad they did right by you. Try a DR-5 on your D810 and see what happens to you. I hope you fare better there than I did.
    pictureted at flickr
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    i need to agree with everyone else in here... Sadly you took too long to report a damage.. and if the wheel was weak, of course it will damage with the usage... I wish you luck about the repair.. even if you have to pay for it...

now.. looking at the other inside topic about the "I also don't believe Nikon stands behind there products in the way they should." I have to strongly disagree... In Panama there is no Nikon authorize repair center... and the recently open Nikon office in here, who only has like 12 people working on it, pick up my D750 camera... delivered to NY... fixed and return it using UPS without any doubt.... everything in less than 2 weeks....
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
    I had an extended discussion with a Nikon Service supervisor. She took all info regarding my D810 concerns and assured me she would look into it further. Regarding the repair of my camera she indicated she would look into that too and get back to me.

She call less than 1 hour later to let me know my camera would ship out today. Thanks Nikon - that was excellent customer service!
    My how your views have changed in 20 days since you posted this ;-) Did they not fix your camera?
    They repaired the camera but didn't address my D810 issue at all, but I was glad to get my camera back after a parts backorder. The D810 should never be used with the DR-5, they are not reliably compatible. Try it if you dare. It also cost a total of almost $400 for the repair including shipping for what I consider a design defect.
    pictureted at flickr
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    FWIW...I use a DR-4 on both my D-800E and D4, no problems.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Interesting I use a DR-5 on a D800 and have had no problems. I don't use it every day but it's been on and off a number of times in the last year.