Nikon D4 rear focuses in manual focusing mode

challydeanochallydeano Posts: 28Member
edited June 2015 in D3/D4/D5
I am not sure what is going on and how I can fix this problem. My D4 is acting weird. I recently went from canon to Nikon - and I am still happy I did however I am having a strange problem. When I autofocus, it focuses perfectly even though the screen looks a little soft - but then when I switch to manual focus and get the image tack sharp in the viewfinder, the result is soft. This happens with all my lenses so I know it's a camera thing. I called Nikon and they said to adjust the AF micro adjustment and they said that wouldn't affect the AF and only affect the manual focus. This doesn't sound correct to me. Anybody else having this problem !?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The only way to adjust the manual focus is by shimming the mirror, or another manual adjust. The AF fine tune will only adjust the AF. You will have to send it in, for this adjustment. The person you spoke to was likely just confused, I would call back.
  • challydeanochallydeano Posts: 28Member

Is anyone else experiencing this problem out there? There are a few posts online about this - and I'm surprised it's not a bigger issue as professional photographers find manual focus just as important as auto focus - especially when shooting through foliage as a framing device on a subject in the background where autofocus will not work - manually focusing is the only solution.
    I am one product short of a nikon professional service membership -- Can someone give me an address to Nikon that will address this problem. I paid quite a bit for this camera and I'm shocked i am having this problem with a pro camera and I shoot professionally.
    Most pros will periodically send all their gear in for an adjustment. If you live near a Nikon service facility you can do it over the counter. All SLR camera systems require periodic CLA (Cleaning Lubrication Adjustment) to work at optimal levels; this is not unique to Nikon. The higher level of utilization of the gear by a pro will drive the frequency of such adjustments. The addresses of the service centers are found on the various Nikon country web sites. Since I don't know what country you are in, it would be difficult to provide the correct address.
    I have been in the business for over 30 years - make my living from it - and I understand about the pro services available to Canon users but I am not familiar with the Nikon side of this. I just switched systems so I'm building quickly. What I didn't expect is a camera that isn't accurate in manual mode - it's usually the other way around. You would think a $3500 camera would be fairly accurate. I must have gotten a lemon, which is why somebody traded it in. I hope there an easy fix. It seems the Nikon customer service read out of a manual and don't even know how to respond to someone who is a professional. I live in the United States, so I will start doing some research to see where I can find a location and a quick turnaround. It looks like I will be going back to my Canon 1Ds Mark 2 for the time being until this camera gets the bugs worked out ! UGH..
    Is there a shop within a few hours from northeast indiana that can service this camera the same day? There is one place in Detroit, Mi, which I am about 3 hours from.....
    Nikon service can put your camera back to 100% spec, no prob. The Nikon D4 is a $6000 camera brand new, so if you got it for $3500, you got a good deal. All it needs is a quick adjustment by the service center. If you live in NY or LA you can bring it right to the service center. If not, go to http://nikonusa.com/, create an account, and open a service ticket. You will get an RMA number and instructions for shipping it in.
    Is there a shop within a few hours from northeast indiana that can service this camera the same day? There is one place in Detroit, Mi, which I am about 3 hours from.....
    Personally, I would only deal with Nikon. The third party shops can be great or not depending. Give them a call and see if you like what you hear.

Thanks Ironheart !
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I would like to say, "Welcome to NRF and Nikon", but let's see how it all works out. My D4 does not have the issue, even with lenses about fifty years old. And, I like to focus on ground glass.... as one can instantly choose the focus point, not have to fiddle with the little red box....

Good luck with getting this resolved.
    Msmoto, mod
    Yes, this has been a frustrating experience. I manually focus about 70% of the time, so I want to get this resolved. It's weird. In autofocus,focusing screen is a tad soft, but I get tack sharp images. When I'm in manual mode, focusing screen is tack sharp but images come out soft. UGH.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Challydeano, From what you have written you are not the first owner so under Nikon rules you do not have any warranty with Nikon, If I were you, I would send the camera back and ask Nikon to check the camera out. They will give you a costing first, but at least it should come back from Nikon working properly. Like Msmoto I have not had any focus problems with my D4 and I use Schneider and Zeiss lenses, which are both manual without any problems along with my auto Nikon lenses.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    The softness on screen of properly autofocused images, and softness on sensor of images sharp on the screen indicate a mis alignment of the focusing screen. A proper hop will fix this very quickly.

Welcome to Nikon and the forum, and may your future experiences be better.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Swapped camera for another used copy. Problem solved ! Nikon was going to charge me $450 to fix this. No thanks.
    Didn't know you had the option of swapping. Glad they made it right, happy shooting!
    Yeah, Ironheart - I work with a camera store in Indianapolis IN that is extraordinary with customer support. If you ever need some good hoosier hospitality, contact Robert's Camera Store. They have an amazing used camera shop !!
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @challydeano, I bought my D4 from Roberts. Good folks. Question about your name, "chally?" Just curious to see if it's car related.
    Hey autofocus - yes, it is. I have a 2010 baseline challenger ! Phil Gibson was my sales person ! Exceptional person ! Very helpful ! So how do u like your D4 !? I love it but wish it was a bigger file size !!
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    You are not alone, My D800 does the same thing and has obviously since new. Its just I am manual focussing more now so its more obvious.

Suppose that will cost just like all other things I ask Nikon to fix..... :(
    $450 is what they quoted me. Seems to me it should be a free repair since they sent it out the door bad - not good as it is a pro camera.
    Luckily i switched mine out for a body that was aligned well.
    edited July 2015
    $450 is what they quoted me. Seems to me it should be a free repair since they sent it out the door bad - not good as it is a pro camera.
    Was it new in box or used? If new, it has a 1 year warranty and would be covered. If used, it could have been bonked.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Mine was $2499 used.
    edited July 2015
    So nikon didn't "send it out the door bad", your local dealer diid.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    The softness on screen of properly autofocused images, and softness on sensor of images sharp on the screen indicate a mis alignment of the focusing screen. A proper hop will fix this very quickly.

Welcome to Nikon and the forum, and may your future experiences be better.

... H
    I think Harold nailed this one. This might have been something you could do yourself. I'm glad you got it worked out, though. You probably don't have to be okay with even small issues like that in a camera at that price.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.