What's up in Rockwell Land?

niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
edited July 2015 in Fun & Weird
Not sure whether he has broken an embargoed news item or if he is just in his own world - but Ken's announcements are currently for Wednesday 15th July! (although he may quickly change it if he reads this forum)

So come on NR - keep up! Can we have August's rumours tomorrow please?

Comments

• CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    I saw the future and it burned my eyes! Enough! Enough!
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    People still visit his website? What is this, 2005?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    It is not a 'Land", it is another dimensional plane, an alternate reality.

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'Alternate reality' - I like that!
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2015
    In defense.....for those of us who have new daily pages on a website, it is easy to make an error and post the incorrect page or date. Now, having said that, I thought his name was Krockwell..... As in Ren Krockwell...or Kockwell.....or...

Is there any useful information coming from his site? Or, is it primarily opinion, his, based upon deep seated psychological conflicts...LOL :)) ?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod

Is there any useful information coming from his site? Or, is it primarily opinion, his, based upon deep seated psychological conflicts...LOL :)) ?
    There is both technically accurate info, and wild broad based conclusions not supported by the info, on his site.
    The problem is that the most vulnerable, least knowledgeable among us cannot tell the two apart or where the border is and make some dumb choices.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Some of his stuff is quite good. He probably should be very careful not to add more children to support as you can put as much love in two children as you can 20. After all we only have so much love we can give.....or cameras we can buy. I also think Ken Rockwell has a Canon lean. I have used most Canons out there. I also am far more taken with zoom lens than Ken Rockwell and can say he DOES not live and work where we do. One more step is often off a set of scaffolding and in big time trouble. Certainly Haroldp's post above tells a lot about how many of us view his website. Still I must say carefully thought out perspectives mixed with wild statements often quite reveals the wide berth we can each take on life. I like Nikon Rumors in that I get to see some serious input from folks who have gear and have put it to the test. Way better than buying it all yourself.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Yes, DaveyJ, I think you've hit it on the head there.
    I like Nikon Rumors in that I get to see some serious input from folks who have gear and have put it to the test.
    He can formulate and share an opinion on a new piece of gear before it's released just based on the specs.

Now to be fair, I have often formulated and shared an opinion based on rumored specs here on this very forum, but I'm not supporting my growing family with those opinions!

Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    I was on a tour in Germany several years ago which went into some caves. One of the folks on the tour was using an SB-600 flash on otherwise expensive gear, and I asked why not something stronger (I was using an SB-800 and wished I had brought my old 400ws ultrablitz), and he responded that KR had said that the SB-600 was just as good, or better because it recycled faster (leaving out for half the output). This is perhaps true taking pictures of grandchildren in your living room, but certainly not in a cave.

The point to this dreary story is that he made no effort to explain under which kind of conditions one was more appropriate, and simply pronounced one as 'best'.

I do read his blog regularly because there is often some useful info, but after doing this for 50 years, I can sift through it.

When you are considered an 'authority', you need to speak carefully.

... H

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited July 2015
    Anytime someone gives their opinion on things, I am careful with what they say. That goes to say whether you're Thom Hogan, Chase Jarvis, Fro Knows Photo, Ken Rockwell, Tony Northrup, or Kai from Digital Rev. And you know what? From those names I've listed, for those who have Youtube channels, I've all unsubscribed from. Completely. I do watch the occasional video from The Camera Store TV, mostly because they're informational, enjoyable, and generally unbiased with some useful information on new gear. Note, although they are a camera store, they don't seem to push their crappy opinions on you either.

I'm tired of hearing what they think I should buy next. I'm tired of hearing them scream at the top of their lungs- "This is the next 35mm lens you should get!", or "This is why you absolutely need to get a 50mm lens, on DX or FX!!!!". They all try so hard to get your attention, some more so than others. Some will throw some arbitrary numbers around, or try to give their opinion on things (Fro Knows Photo and Ken Rockwell in my opinion do more of that than others, while others try gimmicks like setting cameras on fire to catch your attention (Digital Rev).

And you know what? I really don't care anymore. First off, I don't have time to watch every video they come out with, so there's that. Then there's the issue of I'm not rich enough to buy equipment anyway, so there's no point in keeping up with all that new gear anyway. So... there's no need for me to watch those videos anymore.

Besides, what I like most about photography is... photography. Not the opinion of some self righteous self-made Youtube celebrity. I've only watched one or two of Tony Northrup's videos, but he comes off as a pretentious little snot to me.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'll take the precious time I have to use what gear I actually have in my closet and actually do some (mediocre) photography, thank you very much; rather than sit around some make believe campfire and argue arbitrarily over some gear you happen to run across before it's even released and some fancy curves on graphs that isn't standardized between manufacturers.

Life's too short to take one person's opinion to heart.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    edited July 2015
    If you follow Ken's advice you can get a Leica M3 and Summilux lens for $1,100 if you know how to win at EBAY !

Please give me some money for me and my growing lens collection.

JK - my blog has no panhandling or affiliate $hill links
    Post edited by MaxBerlin on
    My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I went there WAY back when I was interested in D50, remember D50 people?! :)) Anyway I even sent an email asking him if the D50 is a good buy and you know what? I got a reply, He said D50 is a "great buy". At the time I was thrilled to get a reply from a "Pro" but now, I know He's not even worth talking to and stuff that he says boggles mind.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I went there WAY back when I was interested in D50, remember D50 people?! :)) Anyway I even sent an email asking him if the D50 is a good buy and you know what? I got a reply, He said D50 is a "great buy". At the time I was thrilled to get a reply from a "Pro" but now, I know He's not even worth talking to and stuff that he says boggles mind.
    I started digital photography with the D50, and I purchased the D40 soon after... based on his recommendations.

Not that I visit his site anymore, but I take anyone I read online with a big grain of salt now.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WaxedSatsumaWaxedSatsuma Posts: 1Member
    A lot of anti-Rockwell comments and vitriol amounts to simple bullying. Oh, and of course there really isn't all that much wrong with the info he puts out. As evidenced by this thread.

So someone called "nukuEX2" bought a camera on his recommendation. And nothing... no mention of any bad advice handed out. Yet he knows "better".

You are simple online bully.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Bullying who? Ken can defend himself, don't worry.
    edited July 2015
    OK guys, I think this thread has more than run it's course now in its current form. The internet is a big place - even big enough for Ken Rockwell's unusual advice. Personally I see Ken's site as a right of passage for newbies and as such serves a purpose.

This thread is actually serving no purpose now and maybe damaging the reputation of NR so if the comments on it cannot be kept constructive i.e. discussing the recommendations Ken makes as if he were sitting across the table from you, I will close it.

The hammer of the closing gun is cocked, don't make me pull the trigger LOL!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2015

I the like the idea of giving notice of closure . Lets everyone have one last post. I find him quite useful, he was one reason I traded my D70 to a D90

This what he said in 2014 about my current Camera

The Nikon D800 is the world's highest technical performance DSLR for outdoor, nature, landscape and many other kinds of precision photography.

This what he said about the D810

I'm really impressed with my Nikon D810. Unlike most "new" cameras that are pretty much the same as last year's models, my D810 is significantly better than my old D800e

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2015
    So I have a post flagged for moderation :-) lol oh well

http://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00Kukp

All I said was welcome to @WaxedSatsuma and asked him to google "Ken Rockwell wrong"..

oh well .. I have said all I said in that other post lol :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• I_ROUTEI_ROUTE Posts: 5Member

Is there one in the chamber? That is the question...hahaha

I get the reference but a camera themed threat would have been more cleaver... ;;)

I have been to Ken's site when I was first starting. I guess I have a good BS meter because it was going off from the first paragraph I read. It was fairly easy to tell which was fact and what was Mr. Rockwell's over the top, gushing bologna. When I go back now, it is to get a chuckle or two when life has me down. So it still serves a purpose...

Later,
    Jeff
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Sometimes his site is very usefull for reviews on older gear as he does not update it very often/just leaves the old stuff..you just have to take the information you want land leave the rest.
    I did have a conversation with Hogan about wanting a 56 MP camera and not playing god and got my head blown off ....then he did a survey and guess what lots of us wanted a 56MP camera ....

Is there one in the chamber? That is the question...hahaha
    I suppose the question I have to ask, is 'Are you feeling lucky punk?' LOL!
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    One in the chamber of a revolver perhaps. Russian roulette anyone?
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I went through the KR phase as well. While these days I don't appreciate the the eye-popping exaggeration, or his super-saturated color choices - I have always appreciated his certain no-nonsense view of the industry and agree that most people don't need x-y-z gear, instead need to learn how to do a-b-c. His earlier how-to guides are pretty good. How am I doing here? :-) I tire of the "this is the best" headlines. Guess I'll stop there.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    edited July 2015
    @WaxedSatsuma Ken has a well documented history of deliberately putting in "errors" just for his own entertainment ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited July 2015
    @WaxedSatsuma .. welcome to NR .. we are not bullying Ken .. just google "Ken Rockwell wrong"