shooting without vibrations for the NikonD7000

zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
edited August 2015 in D90/D7x00
What remote controls are there for the Nikon D7000 in order to shoot without any vibrations or movement?

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I use quiet mode and 2 sec delay .. works well if you don't want to pay for a remote.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There is an infrared remote, ML-L3 for $18. There is the wired MC-DC2 for $25. There are about 1 zillion 3rd party remotes that will work. Google is your little friend.
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    And don't forget to use the mirror-up function along with the remote or timer.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    Ironheart:
    1. What exactly are the differences between the ML-L3 and the MC-DC2?
    2. Are the 3rd party remotes any good?

cbg
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    The ML-L3 is infrared. you kind of have to stick your hand out or off to the side of the camera. Depending on the lens you use you could get your hand in the frame. The MC-DC2 plugs into your camera with maybe a 3ft cord. You can also lock the shutter open. If I remember right that how they work. B-)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    On the self timer, it's really useful to set the timer to take two or more photos. I set it to 10 second timer and then take 2 shots. I don't know if you can take more, but it's a really good poor man's remote release.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You can have the self-timer start the intervalometer and take 999 or 9999 photos depending on the camera model :-)
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I use the timer on mine but the ML-L3 works... You can set the timer to 2 seconds and sequence shots
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think the best way to shoot without vibrations is a very good tripod and head. You would be surprised how little vibration gets through to the image if the camera body is held rock solid. If you can't spring for one, then the built in exposure delay feature is as good as anything, but it will not stop the wind shaking your camera.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 on what spraynpray said about the very good tripod and ball head.

About one month ago I got the Vello Freewave Plus Remote, VERWIIN, which works on my D7100 and D750. It's excellent and has lots of flexibility. I checked Amazon, B&H, and Adorama and got mine at B&H. I am extremely pleased with the operation and it doesn't cost and arm & a leg.

I honestly like the AAA batteries so you don't have to go find a CR2 battery like many use. :D

I just got back from 2 weeks vacation and will start posting next week. The pictures from Mount Rushmore at night were all with the Vello remote.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Wind shake....very difficult to assess. I had a night shot with D800E, about 25 second light painting of a statue, wind maybe 10 - 15 mph, camera on tripod at 24" high. Absolutely no issues with vibration, the image went to 65" x 30" on aluminum, sharp as a tack.

Of course, the shutter delay was used as well.

In the above situation, shooting multiple trials was the way to achieve an acceptable image. Oh, maybe this is what "spraynpray" means....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    Wind shake....very difficult to assess.
    Not always: One memorable occasion some years back had me with a death grip on the neck of the tripod honestly concerned that one huge gust of wind during a gale was going to blow me and the tripod/camera right over in a cartwheel! That long exposure still came out OK because the legs were well spread (tripods and mine!), I had weight on the tripod and we were on concrete.

That taught me that a good tripod and head contributes a lot to the sharpness of a shot. This is that shot. I can still feel my eyes watering and the tears making the hair on the back of my head wet when I look at it!

Barrier B&W
    Always learning.
    edited September 2015
    Yup, this was shot during the NRF get together in Maine, last year...wind so strong it literally picked up the tripod with the D4, 400/2.8 and nearly blew me over.

But in other situations I have had as much as 30 lbs (14 kg) of sand bags hanging from the tripod center post. This makes me feel better at least, as I really do not want the 400 hitting the ground...

I think a high shutter speed is always the best solution to very windy conditions, but in some long exposures I have even had a sand bag hanging over the the lens to add mass, dampen vibration. The one issue I cannot predict is the potential for the wind to set up a harmonic vibration in the camera/lens/tripod set up. Harmonics led to this disaster in the 1940's on the Tacoma Narrows

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Whoa! great vid!

@Msmoto said: "Yup, this was shot during the NRF get together in Maine, last year...wind so strong it literally picked up the tripod with the D4, 400/2.8 and nearly blew me over."

Did you mean to post a shot there Tommie?

BTW I had no sandbags with me, just my bag hanging on it - probably 20lb total (plus little old 180lb me)! I do intend to get some sandbags and carry them in the car for such an occasion, but I've not got any yet.

Always learning.
    And, the answer is.......
    NRF_Hampton_III_03.26.14
    Msmoto, mod