NRF Getogether 2016 St. Augustine, Florida April 28 - May 1, 2016

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited October 2015 in General Discussions
Finally, we have decided upon next years gathering.

While I will be camping at Anastasia State Park in my Airstream, others will find many motels in the area. However, reservations should be made fairly quickly as we have scheduled this NRF event to coordinate with the Ponte Vedra, Florida Birding and Photo Fest from April 27 - May 1, 2016.

http://www.floridasbirdingandphotofest.com

I will be in the area from April 26th - May 2nd, and have excellent espresso….LOL.

I think this can be a great photo opportunity and a time some of us can meet each other and find out who we are face to face. My guess at this time is we will have at least a couple dinners together, breakfast on some days, and other activities will be arranged as details are worked out.

So, for those who know of more photo ops in this area, other activities of interest, please let us all know here on the Forum.
Post edited by Msmoto on
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    This is on my calendar. I could leave now and be there before dark.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    You be just a tiny bit early. :-B
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Count me in!
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited October 2015
    It's a hop, skip, and a jump from where I live. Excellent location for landscape, history, people, and wildlife. I was there with my family last August and don't really know if I can make it back up for the gatherin' (kids are still middle-school aged so I tend to not go off alone on trips like this). We'll see though. You'll also be a mere 57 miles from Daytona and we all know what that means.... road trip!!

Wake up early for some beautiful views.
    St. Augustine, Florida Sunrise
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    so, who is coming and who's not? I'll be in US during that period of year, so if I find good connection to St.Augustine from NYC I'll be there. Tommie, do we have a one hotel like last time, or will it be more like Colorado?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, in a few days I will get more info on the Florida Birding and Photo Fest sessions at Ponta Verda, about 20 miles north of St Augustine.

This will be similar to Colorado as i will be in the Anastasia State Park in my Airstream but anticipate we can meet for breakfast on Friday and Saturday, maybe work out plans for an early dinner on those evenings so as to beat the rush of all the folks attending the bird fest.

In a day or so I will be calling the Florida Birding and Photo Fest for more details and I think we will attempt to have a day or two scheduled. I suggest anyone attending needs to get their rooms quickly. And, my suggestion would be to Google this: "motels near Anastasia State Park, St Augustine, FL" and one will see the map with many potential lodging places.

My plans have me arriving at Anastasia State Park late Tuesday the 26th of April, departing early on May 3rd.
    Msmoto, mod
    The latest....I have communicated with the Florida's Birding & Photo Fest director and the final schedule and registration information will be on the website by Monday the 11th. Tentative plans are to have our "official" birding outing on Friday, the 29th, Saturday the 30th, but this is as usual only a thinking process at present.

Most likely we will try to get together and tell photo stories (like fish stories) over dinner on possibly Thursday, Friday and Saturday, maybe have breakfast together on these days as well. Once I am in St Augustine i will do my reconnaissance on the morning and evening meal opportunities and we will go from there.

If folks want to contact me and let me know they will be there, please send a PM with your name, email, and phone number so I can send out information to those who are actually attending.
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I will be attending the first two days.
    I see they are saying they have "the confirmed return of perhaps the greatest collection of upper echelon international nature and wildlife photographers in the world." Looks interesting.
    Must be talking about the Forum folks who will be attending.... :))
    Msmoto, mod
    Should we expect to see KR there? LOL
    Still hoping my wife's vacation time off will be approved. She has had that request in since day 3. I have a ? that can be answered with just a few words. Does anyone know how much walking is involved with the birding events?
    edited January 2016
    I'm in, I fly to Miami on 27th, and will go up with Peter on 28th early morning (maybe even very early, so we could meet you Tommie :) ). I'll be staying at Best Western Seaside Inn - they have currently a promotion on hotwire - rooms for +/- 40usd, just select the cheapest deal in the anastasia state park area (st augustine beach). unfortunately, I have to fly out on Saturday morning (early morning, like 6am from JAX).
    Post edited by adamz on
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I am booking now... do we have to register for this Florida Birding and Photo Fest?
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Once the website is active then one can register. It was supposed to be active this week, but I have not had this confirmed from Erin Masters the director as of yet.
    Msmoto, mod
    Arriving the 28th and leaving at the end of the day Saturday. Seaside Best Western.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I have family in Orlando, but it is is a 10 hour drive for me to get down there.... not sure if I can make it even being that close....

On a separate note, looking at the sponsors..... Nikon is no where to be seen again..... I guess Nikon does not set a budget for events like this.... very disappointing. Tired of seeing Canon reps plastered everywhere at events.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    I noticed that too. A real shame not to see them. 13 years ago a Canon rep loaned me a 70-200 2.8L long white and it made a lot of sales then for Canon. I'd love to talk shop with Nikon somewhere at events like this instead of the internet chat box.
    @snowleopard - it's a 14+ h fly for me, so no excuses please :)
    edited January 2016
    I have just received this email from the folks in Florida:

Registration is now open for the 14th Annual Florida's Birding & Photo Fest, April 27-May 1, one of the most popular events among nature and photography enthusiasts in the southeast. There are more than 140 birding and photography events, field workshops and classroom sessions with expert and acclaimed photographers this year.

Instructors are a "Who's Who" of photographers including Mac Stone, Kevin Karlson, Chas Glatzer, Joe Brady, Maxis Gamez, Vinny Colucci, Roman Kurywczak, Jack Rogers, Jackie Kramer, Kevin Loughlin and Mike Matthews.

Whether you're a beginner photographer, advanced or somewhere in between, there are hands-on workshops at locations around Florida's Historic Coast - St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra and The Beaches - for you. So don't delay, register today.

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    I just registered.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Tommie, let me check into this and I'll let you know.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I'm rather not registering for the bird festival, don't see a reason for that. So unless I'll find a reason I'm out of the birding part. Still be in St.Augustine and I'm happy to shoot some pics with you. Maybe we could do the lighthouse chase #2 :)