Comparing cameras using DXO

A friend of mine loves his D700 and wont change to a 800/810....so I took a fit all lens a Samyang 14mm and looked at the sharpness ratings with a 700/800/810

The D700 rated at 11MP ..well its only 12 so you cannot go over that ....
The D800 rated at 20MP ( thats the camera I use the 14mm on)
The D810 rated at 27MP so that shows the effect of better processing and no alaising filter..

Same lens on a 22 MP Canon 5D 111 ..15 MP so we are not changing to canon are we . No figures yet for the 50MP Canon.

Doing the same test with a D600/610 gives identical figures for each which might tell you something.

Similar results if you try this with a 50mm f1.8 Nikon but clearly not able to check out canon.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Maybe it's because the D700 still does all he needs and is a rugged and durable camera. let's face it for most things it is still fine.

I am looking forward to proper tests on the 50mp Canon too. Somebody told me that they are buying their sensors from Sony now. I don't know - does anybody here?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2015
    Just because something is technically superior doesn't make everything that proceeded it instantly inferior.

The D7200 is technically superior to my D7000, that doesn't justify me purchasing a D7200.

What's the reasoning behind you trying to convince your friend to get a D810? Are you trying to get commission on selling a camera?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator

I am looking forward to proper tests on the 50mp Canon too. Somebody told me that they are buying their sensors from Sony now. I don't know - does anybody here?
    http://photorumors.com/2015/02/06/the-new-50mp-sensor-inside-the-canon-eos-5ds-camera-is-not-made-by-sony/

"Prior to the Canon EOS 5Ds announcement, several websites reported that the new 50MP sensor was developed with/by Sony. Apparently this is not the case - the sensor was developed and produced "completely in-house" by Canon. Here is the quote from Chuck Westfall:

Despite some rumors to the contrary, Westfall said the 50.6MP CMOS sensors in the 5DS and 5DS R are developed and produced by Canon. When asked whether they were created in collaboration with Sony as some rumors indicated, Westfall responded by saying: “Absolutely not. The sensors were developed completely in-house, by Canon.”

The new 50MP sensor offers no dynamic range improvements over the previous 5D Mark III sensor"
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That is great because it is what I told him when he said I was wrong. He said Canon have been using other peoples sensors for a while now. If that was the case, I am sure their IQ would have improved and they would all be crowing about it.

Can't wait until I see him next >:)
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I just thought it was an interesting way of comparing cameras which I had not seen before (sharpness same lens different cameras)..I have another friend thinking of changing to canon which I dont like simply because you need two hands to turn it on ...lets hope that comparision I quoted helps him change his mind.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I agree with the comments on 12MP cameras being fine for most shooting situations. I still rely on a pair of D3S for anything mission critical.

My D7200, and the D800 are special purpose cameras I use as appropriate for when the subject requires more MP to capture it as in wide angle landscapes, night astro, and birds at very long distances.