Nikon D750 oil issues

adrianlewadrianlew Posts: 1Member
edited April 2015 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I only have the D750 camera for 3 months.. shooting interiors only inside.. Spots start to appear on the sensor.
I thought it was maybe dust, but why try to clean those off with pro fluid and swabs the smear :(
Can't get my sensor clean.. Is it similar issue to the D600 problem?

Anybody else experiencing this? What are the solutions?
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    A proper wet cleaning would clean oil spots, if that indeed is what they are. Have it professionally cleaned and go take some photos. How did you notice these spots and do you have any photos of them?
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    good question... would like to see the pictures too... i have not notice anything in my D750...
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Same here, no oil spots on mine. Got it the end of November and have over 3,500 pictures on it. Going on vacation next Sunday and expect to shoot over 1,000 images so I will watch for issues. Sorry to hear about your issue.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    send it to Nikon. Cleaning should be covered under warranty. They should get the oil off.
    send it to Nikon. Cleaning should be covered under warranty. They should get the oil off.
    Agree. The advantage is that they will confirm that your D750 still meets manufacturers specs.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2015
    As there is no consistent history of oil on D750 sensors, the return to Nikon seems the best course of action.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I will be returning my D750 to Nikon soon now the flare issue has calmed down. I want them to look at why the image jumps when manual focusing the 24-120 f4 VR (could be linked to my opinion that it isn't sharp enough), and to clean the sensor as it has three spots visible at f11 and smaller. It isn't a worry for me to do three clicks with the spot remover and sync settings across those images I am keeping so I haven't panicked over it. What I am saying is that this isn't IMHO a D600 type situation so just send it in for cleaning and log your concerns in case you have a recurrence and need to escalate it in future. How many spots do you see?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Apparently he doesn't see any spots anymore since he smeared them all over his sensor with an attempted cleaning, and we haven't heard back.
  • ninajninaj Posts: 1Member
    I'm having the same issue with my D750. Have had it for less than 6 months and have terrible spotting on the sensor. Have always used proper lens changing techniques and the spots do not come off with normal dusting. I'm glad to find that I'm not alone with this!
    Apparently he doesn't see any spots anymore since he smeared them all over his sensor with an attempted cleaning, and we haven't heard back.
    That's where we're going wrong! If you smear the oil all over you sensor, new spots just flow out all over and don't show up as dots. I knew this was a fuss about nothing... :))
    Always learning.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited October 2015
    After cleaning my sensor I am happy to only have one oil spot in the corner on my D800. I really, really hope Nikon can fix this and other quality issues in future products. It is a lot more important than one fps more or less.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My experience is that as the image number gets up to about 10,000 the spotting is much less. I have one or two on my bodies currently, D800E, 12,000 clicks, D4, 42,000 clicks. In post processing I see these only rarely, usually in a clear sky.
    Msmoto, mod
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Msmoto: That is similair to my experience. I have 90,000 clicks on the D800 and have not seen any new spots in a while. I know where my spot is and can handle it, but it is still annoying.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Spraynpray..the only image jumping I have had was a faulty VR system in a lens but not a nikon...The 24-120 is fa loit sharper than the 28-300 I am using and I have not problems with that .....
    Spraynpray..the only image jumping I have had was a faulty VR system in a lens but not a nikon...The 24-120 is fa loit sharper than the 28-300 I am using and I have not problems with that .....
    I accept that my usage is unusual as it is only a problem when critically manual focussing that it occurs as I change direction with the focus ring. Apart from that, the VR and 'OK' sharpness, it's great. I should have got the 24-70 but it didn't have ANY VR at the time, plus the range is just a little lacking for the wedding game as you know.
    Always learning.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    Not again... honestly, why is Nikon having so many issues with Dxxxs? I hope this is just an isolated case for their sake.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    Not again... honestly, why is Nikon having so many issues with Dxxxs? I hope this is just an isolated case for their sake.
    I wouldn't call this a problem with the D750. I have owned mine almost a year and had one or two oils spots appear within the first month. Since then, it has stayed the same so I am sending it in for routine sensor clean and get the af sensor reflection issue update done. Apart from the way the image jumps when I manually focus the 24-120 (which is not a big deal), I have no issues. It's a great camera.
    Always learning.
    +1 @spraynpray. I have had my D750 11 months and no oil on the sensor for me. Mine was also one of those lucky ones that went back to Nikon for the sensor reflection issue update. The AF speed in dime light is amazing.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No oil issues with my D750 either, after 6 months.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • vrivadefovrivadefo Posts: 1Member
    D750 with 10000 clicks and about 500 circular spots, identical to my 3 D600's... They are visible from f8 and smaller. I hope this time I don't have to wait more than one year before they admit there is something wrong... :-w
    edited October 2015
    My D750 is in the Service Centre as I write this. Their notes on the sensor clean were that my spots were not oil but were dust and pollen. I had only a few by comparison to your claim and they rarely intruded in my shots because I don't shoot FX stopped down beyond f8.

There is no issue on the D750 like there was on the D600 - that is fact. Yours are the worst I have ever heard of with 'around 500 circular spots' so I have to ask you to post an image showing the problem in order to give your claim credibility. For your information, when spots are out of focus to that extent, they all look circular and when they have a ring around them (something others claim as evidence that they are oil spots), that proves nothing because - like bokeh - the look varies with different lenses.

If I'd had a serious problem I would have handled it differently: I would have written a letter to the Service Centre stating my concerns and had them clean the sensor. I would then have shot it with one prime lens fitted for 500 clicks (NO lens changes) and looked again. I suspect your problem would be gone, but if it wasn't, then you would be able to go to them with a substantial case.

HTH.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • strobestrobe Posts: 1Member
    I've taken over 4,000 pictures with the D750. I occasionally see sky spots and it usually ends up being dust on the mirror or on the bottom of the Prism. I blame these dust or tiny dirt or pollen particles to my daily lens changes. I've encountered the same spots on my D610 and my old D40 and they were always just foreign particles and not oil spots. Before you start blaming every spot on "oil on my sensor"
    take a close look at the mirror and prism with a magnifier.
  • tommaytommay Posts: 9Member
    I use the D750 for some months and about 7000 pictures. I only see very few normal dust spots, not really much and I even change lenses really often.

Back, when I had the D600 with the oil/dust issue it looks horrible. Even on the replacement D610 I had many many spots after about 1000 shots.

The few Spots on the D750 are for me nothing what I worry about. They are also easy to blow out.

Why the spots smear when you try to wet-clean it is strange.. I didn't encouter this so far on my D750. All I can say is, that I have no problem with the D750. Its sad to hear, that there are problems again, at least on some models :-(
    I think that most people are sure their D750 spots are oil, but really perhaps they aren't? Mine is fine too.
    Always learning.
  • CryptoManCryptoMan Posts: 0Member
    I only have the D750 camera for 3 months.. shooting interiors only inside.. Spots start to appear on the sensor.
    I thought it was maybe dust, but why try to clean those off with pro fluid and swabs the smear :(
    Can't get my sensor clean.. Is it similar issue to the D600 problem?

Anybody else experiencing this? What are the solutions?

I got my D750 3 months ago. Got awful spots one month month later. Got it professionally cleaned. Two weeks later I started seeing spots. Now it is awful. I have an Olympus OMDE1 for 18 months with no spots. Olympus is mirrorless. I suspect Nikon is throwing particles with mirror and shutter. I decided sell the Nikon D750 and all the lenses and buy the best Sony mirrorless and Zeiss lenses. I am very disappointed with Nikon D750.