Nikon 1 J3 arrival date?.... and discussion

tall0n1tall0n1 Posts: 4Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon 1
I pre-ordered the J3 on January 8th, and the release date was supposed to be February 7th.

Does anyone know if they have started shipping yet?

Thanks
Post edited by Msmoto on
Tagged:

Comments

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    DXO Mark has already taken its customary crap on this Nikon 1 offering, so there must be a few copies out-and-about?
  • tall0n1tall0n1 Posts: 4Member
    Yeah, I read DXOMark, but really want the J3 solely for an underwater camera. The $500 for the camera and $750 for the housing ($1,250 total) is cheaper than getting a housing for my D800.

Last year I went to the Maldives for a two week dive trip, only to have my old housing break in transit. I was so bummed...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Check with Ewe Marine for a housing for the D800. Less than $500. Not as much functionality, but the end result from a D800 in the Ewe Marine housing and the J1 will be make the J1 appear like a toy.
    Msmoto, mod
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Msmoto, the J1, and the V1 are toys, as is the D800. They are all toys, but I get your point. Still only the brave like to put expensive camera equipment near salt water continuously because of corrosion. LOL. Maybe I am just getting old and turning into a timid soul !
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @TriShooter Toys in the hands of some, valuable tools in the hands of others. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure You can compare Ewe Marine (EM) with dedicated underwater housing (uwh) msmoto. I've played with the uwh for nikon 1 and it really looks like a well designed product for advanced/professional use. whereas, EM looks like a weekend trip toy.
    Post edited by adamz on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    For sure, the Ewe Marine is not an underwater housing. It can be used for keeping one's camera dry during a casual snorkeling or other minimal underwater event, but comparing it to a dedicated underwater hosing is like a bicycle vs. a car. It is good for what I used it for, protecting the D4 in the surf, but the control function is simply not there, IMO, and it may be far too buoyant for taking deep except with a lot weight added.

The advantage is the cost. And, for me, using it for a week at the beach, this was perfect. And, it appears well constructed, but in no way can be considered as a true UWH.

Just to clarify...
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod