SB-5000 AF Speedlight

WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
I knew this would happen. Nikon would make my five SB-910s with Pocketwizards obsolete. This flash looks really good. The cooling function is interesting.
Tagged:

Comments

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Having a D7100, which is compatible with the WR-R10, I kind of wonder if it can radio-shoot with the SB-500? Just that the WR-R10 sticks out the side instead of cleanly on the front? Or is the SB-500's radio goodness limited to the D5 and D500?

I'm at a point, looking at stepping into off-camera flash, having just an SB-400, where I'm considering adding an SB-700 or 910. But why buy into old IR-tech? So going all budget radio-controlled flashes a-la Youngou and/or Flashpoint is the option to going all in on the latest greatest Nikon.

The SB-5000's release does beg the question of when they'll release a lower-spec but still RC SB-4000 or something.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    edited January 2016
    From the product page...
    The WR-R10 can also be used to control Nikon radio-controlled flash units such as the SB-5000 Speedlight.
    The SB-5000 has a guide rating that is .5 higher than the SB-910 at the same settings (if i remember correctly).
    when will the other flashes be updated? Nikon's budget flash (SB-300(edit: actually nikon just released the sb-500 in sept 2014, which is still kind of a budget flash but somehow has commander mode...)) doesnt have commander/slave capabilities, so the next one that would be upgraded would be the SB-700, which has been out for awhile. However, I wouldnt expect it to be updated until at least the end of this year, maybe not even then.
    Post edited by starralazn on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    FWIW I have to say I very rarely have a problem with old tech IR, and when I do I just use radio poppers in manual mode.
    Always learning.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    I'm really interested in this flash, but I don't understand why they didn't use the hot shoe for the trigger if they can't build it into the camera itself. They should just make a commander unit that can work with all Nikon cameras. Or something that looks like the pocket wizard flex.
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    FWIW I have to say I very rarely have a problem with old tech IR, and when I do I just use radio poppers in manual mode.
    I have a studio setup, and I use exclusively D810 pop up flash in commander mode to trigger 3 TTL speedlights mounted in softboxes/modifiers . I have used it outside in bright sunlight, and it seems to work incredibly well despite people saying it would be blinded by the sun. The only limitation seems to be range.

The new radio tech is very welcome, not having to carry another set of kit/batteries etc is always good.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    A commander unit is likely coming.
    Isn't it built in?
    Always learning.
    Yes, but I am saying Nikon is likely to also produce a radio controller without a flash so you don't have to have a flash mounted on your camera in order to control off-camera flashes.
    Isn't it built in?
    Always learning.
    Are you thinking the radio controller is built into the D5 and/or D500 body? If so, that would be great!
    edited January 2016
    Nikon's D5 brochure says this: " With the optional WR-R10 Wireless Remote controller attached, the D5 can handle remote flash units via radio-controlled
    communication (communication distance is up to approx. 30 m/98 ft*)". It looks like the radio transmitter is not built in to the camera body.
    See also: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/remote-transmitters/wr-r10%2fwr-t10%2fwr-a10-wireless-remote-adapter-set.html
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    Oh, ok, I thought somebody here said the D5 body was bigger because of the wireless flash. If it isn't built in, then that can't be the reason.
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    When you look at what is currently available to operate radio controlled flash guns and look at what Nikon are offering in March. The cost of the new SB 5000 coupled with the WR-R10 starts to become expensive compared to say Pocket Wizard Camranger and Japanese equivalents with longer distance ranges.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    edited January 2016
    Compare a Phottox Mitros+ unit for $400 with a SB-5000 unit for $600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025421-REG/phottix_ph80372_mitros_ttl_trigger.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1214170-REG/nikon_4815_sb_5000_af_speedlight.html

You can also get a nice Mitros + kit (which includes the on camera trigger) for $500 and still be $100 under the cost of the SB-500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030781-REG/phottix_ph80378_mitros_ttl_flash_and.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7jK6xC1vY

The Mitros+ and the on camera trigger costs $550.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036391-REG/phottix_ph80376_mitros_odin_combo_for.html
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited July 2017
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    My interpretation yes there is a commander facility in the D5 but to send the signal to the Sb 5000 you still have to purchase the WR-R10 transmitter so that camera and Flash-Gun[s] can communicate.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    edited July 2017
    The referenced article states "The NEW Nikon D5 camera with WR-R10 transceiver enables the D5 to become the Commander for the NEW Nikon SB-5000 Speedlights with 100 feet of radio control capabilities . . . " So you need the WR-R10 transceiver plugged into a D5 to control the new radio flashes.
    edited July 2017
    I am thinking that the body is involved to the extent that you use the LCD on the back of the camera to set your off camera lights but the body itself doesn't have a built in radio transmitter. Once the bodes and new flashes are available to the public we will find out for sure how it all works. My guess is that all the old flashes will work as long as you have an old controller on the body, just like the D4. I also think the old and new flashes will integrate so you can use nearby line of sight and radio through an obstructed line of sight. However, it will also be interesting to see if any of the third part radio flash systems, such as the Phottos mitros+, are better and cheaper.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036391-REG/phottix_ph80376_mitros_odin_combo_for.html
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited January 2016
    IDK, I have owned SB-50dx, SB-80dx, SB-800's and an SB-900. The wireless radio is nice, but it looks like Nikon keeps spinning obsolete technology in a $500+ USD flagship flash.

I would have expected it to be LED based with active cooling and settings in the menu to control the color temperature of LED's.

All this is; is another version of the SB-910 which will overheat after 10 bursts so you can wait 5 minutes for it to cool down and take another 10 bursts.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2016
    IDK, I have owned SB-50dx, SB-80dx, SB-800's and an SB-900. The wireless radio is nice, but it looks like Nikon keeps spinning obsolete technology in a $500+ USD flagship flash.

I would have expected it to be LED based with active cooling and settings in the menu to control the color temperature of LED's.

All this is; is another version of the SB-910 which will overheat after 10 bursts so you can wait 5 minutes for it to cool down and take another 10 bursts.
    The spec says more than 100 consecutive firings at full power due to the new cooling system
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Am starting to think that the D5 and D500 have firmware which can, along with the WR-R10 control the new SB-500 on the D5/00's LCD/UI. The older devices probably don't have the brains to do it, even with the radio gizmo attached. Perhaps a firmware update will allow it, but I would more expect Nikon to create a radio commander which would have the display and buttons to control an SB-500 from it vs from the camera. The new camera's wouldn't need it, but it would allow older cameras to use the newer flash gear.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I have the D800 and D810 as well as the WR-R10/WR-T10/WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter Set, and I am hoping (almost expecting) Nikon will release a FirmWare update so I can use this to trigger an SB-5000 unit...

Is that too much to ask for?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Should be possible. It seems it would only be software, no hardware changes.