NRF Getogether 2016 St. Augustine, Florida April 28 - May 1, 2016

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    One more thing. I honestly think the prices of the workshops at this birding stuff are out of this world. +/-$130 for 2h horse workshop it's a joke, same for the birds of pray one.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Perhaps the animals are rented and that inflates the cost.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Perhaps the animals are rented and that inflates the cost.
    LOL!

Occasionally a decent image ...
    LOL, perhaps. anyway, there's some wildlife opportunities near St.Augustine, so if you are skinflints like me, you are more than happy to join me. will show you how to photograph animals... for free :)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    One more thing. I honestly think the prices of the workshops at this birding stuff are out of this world. +/-$130 for 2h horse workshop it's a joke, same for the birds of pray one.
    My wife looked the stuff over I printed and she said the same thing about the price. I was thinking it but didn't say anything.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I though the same thing at first and assume there must some costs we don't know about rolled up into the high prices. No one has to attend those events. I didn't sign up for a single event.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    Maybe the hidden cost is to bring in the big Canon names? :) I don't know but I think my wife and I would rather photograph the old historic buildings. I've only been there once and it was 60 or more years ago. All I remember is those very narrow streets. I've got exotic birds coming into my back yard farther south soon to nest and the connections finally to get to them and I think that is money better spent.
    Nade some quick research. It looks like the $105 photo pass for the aligator farm is $89 overall and it gives you one hour before and one hour after the regular scheduled times. Regular opening hours are 9am to 5pm, and regular admission is +/-$25.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2016
    I will be doing some bird photography, but will not be signed up for any courses....

And, much of my stuff will be shot in the early morning or evening hours. Being somewhat familiar with the general layout of St Augustine, I no doubt will be wandering around downtown some, and for sure will attempt to work out some eating venues.

Because of the potential for many folks around we may need to eat with reservations.... but this will be determined once we have all gotten together....

The sunrise for April 28 is about 6:45 AM, sunset around 8 PM, so we can work all this into shooting schedules if there are any sun worshipers....i.e, like to shoot it going up or down.

And, I just noticed the very nice photo from Rx4Photo of what I think is the Bridge of Lions running from downtown out to Anastasia Island, where I will be located. Last time I saw it the reconstruction was still going on.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I have added skinflint to my vocabulary. I wish I could attend this event but I am a skinflint. NO really I would like to go but will not able to take the time of work for it.
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    I will try to make it, but since I will be in Melbourne, FL from 2/1-3/21, I'm not sure if I can convince my wife on another trip to Florida that soon.
    I will try to make it, but since I will be in Melbourne, FL from 2/1-3/21, I'm not sure if I can convince my wife on another trip to Florida that soon.
    You sound like a "snowbird"! =; >:/
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @vipmedia - AFAIR u from Chicago and Frontier has durect flights from ORD to St Augustine, so no excuses :)
  • cbgcbg Posts: 127Member
    edited January 2016
    @photobug, maybe. I'm retired, but my wife won't be for 3-5 more years. This is the first year that I/we will spend that much time there. She'll be back and forth, it also helps that her sister is a snowbird and has a place in Melbourne, although we'll be in the travel trailer and not at her place.
    You sound like a "snowbird"! =; >:/
    Post edited by cbg on
    Travel trailer....Groucho's Secret Word....LOL I will be in my Airstream at Anastasia State Park.
    Msmoto, mod
    Retirement with a trailer....what a great idea to see the USA and Canada.
    About two months to the NRF Getogether......and the Florida Birding and Photo Fest

http://www.floridasbirdingandphotofest.com
    Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Anyone staying in downtown St Augustine? Anyone interested in off-shore fishing on the 28 of April?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    edited March 2016
    Only one month away....and, this will be about just having a good time. I will be available for those who wish to meet for breakfast on Wednesday, April 22nd through Monday, May 2nd. If it is still like it was about five years ago, Cafe Eleven Restaurant 501 A1A Beach Blvd, St Augustine, FL 32080 is where I will have breakfast every day. We can plan each day this way, or folks can contact me via PM on the forum. Dinner will also be a great event and walking about St. Augustine in the evening is fabulous.

Even if one is not signed up for the Bird Fest, the photo ops should be good.

If you have not done so, please send me a PM if you are planning on being in St Augustine during our get together....thanks
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Only a few days until departure for the get together. I have several excellent restaurants lined up....all 4.6 or better ratings....

Wednesday the 27th, I will be at Cafe Eleven Restaurant 501 A1A Beach Blvd, St Augustine, FL 32080 about 7:30 AM....great coffee, even better breakfast.

As usual, this will be a very relaxed gathering, decisions made by group conscience....

Looking forward to seeing some of you there....
    Msmoto, mod
    Could not resist....being pulled by the historic 611 (See today's PAD)

611_II_04.20.2016_TFL-7
    Msmoto, mod
    See you all there.
    I just received my D500 and will bring it to St. Augustine for everyone to play with along with my 200-500 f5.6. Bring along extra SD and XQD cards so you can take your images with you to play with at home. My first impressions are that it is really great! I like the large viewfinder; more like FX size than DX size. I like the weight; more like a D750 than a D800. Not at all a heavy beast but it will weigh more with the battery grip attached. I very much like the high ISO ability. From shooting less than 20 shots I would say if you set the High ISO NR to normal you can shoot jpegs to 51,200 (so you could set auto ISO up to the max native range and just shoot away at indoor sporting events); if you set the HIgh ISO NR to high you can shoot jpegs to 102,400; colors fade too much after High 1.0 (ISO 102,400) but if you switch to monochrome so noise looks like film grain you can shoot jpegs to High 3.0 (ISO 405,600). You can recognize what object you were shooting at High 4.0 (ISO 811,200) but you wouldn't want to use that photo for anything. High 5.0 (ISO 1,622,400) is pretty much unrecognizable and must have only been included for marketing. To me this is quite remarkable for a DX sensor and a new high ISO benchmark.
    I am here....we will see who gets up with us, or I think some are going to be tied up with the Birding and Foto Fest.

Send a PM if you want to know how to get in to see me. A pass is required to get into the Anastasia State Park and I have one extra. My espresso is exceptional!
    Msmoto, mod
    I am here also. Staying in vilano beach. Will try to connect for lunch tomorrow. Plan to be in old town St. Augustine tomorrow morning.