Is the Nikon 1 dead?

manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
With today's announcement of the DL line, the Nikon 1 line appears dead.
It's been about two years since Nikon updated the V series and about a year since they updated the J series.
Rest in peace N1 :(
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Very doubtful. These new cameras are targeted at a different market. I expect to see updated sensor and lens technology passed on to the N1. I think we will see it this year.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    An interchangeable lens camera made extinct by a fixed lens? Doubt it.
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray I'm right there with you. Also, my V3 and 8 N1 lenses still seem to be working fine, undeterred by this announcement.
    edited February 2016
    My only worry is that they will bring out the V4 with BSI sensor right after I purchase my D500 in April, and my credit card will melt :D
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'd hoped the D500 would have BSI. If it did I'd have been all over it.
    Always learning.
    We don't know if it does or not. They are getting some amazing ISO numbers from both the D500 and D5. I'm betting they both do.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    @Ironheart the Samsung NX1 also works fine but that does not mean there is a future.

I am contemplating canceling my D500 order and moving to either MFT or Sony. I need a good silent shooter and was really hoping at least a V4 would have been announced by now. The Sony A7r2 for $2.5 grand or the Panasonic DX-8 for $1 grand have caught my eye.
    edited February 2016
    @manhattanboy I was joking somewhat, but the point remains the same, you buy into a system and Nikon knows that. I have every confidence they will release a Nikon 1 V4 type camera that will incorporate the goodness of the J5/D5/D500 into a nice machine. They can't afford to abandon all of the N1 system users, of which there are millions worldwide. (perhaps they will call it a V5 just to keep the 5 theme going)
    As far as canceling your D500 order and switching to MFT? I don't get that at all. You could hitch your wagon to Sony and the A7r2 but there is a dearth of lenses and I've yet to be impressed by Sony's 11/14bit IQ. I'm not familiar with the Panny, what is the lens selection like there?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • 9viii9viii Posts: 25Member
    Given that the A7SII is not BSI, I think it's specifically doubtful that we'll see a BSI Full Frame sports body any time soon. You're just not saving that much space on the pixel with a moderate pixel count.
    Though the D500 should benefit more than the A7RII does, if a company is putting the extra expense of BSI into their sensor production you'd think they would advertise it.
    http://sansmirror.com/newsviews/oh-oh-nikon-1.html
    Thom weighed in and has also proclaimed abadonment of the Nikon 1 series.
    Here's my question: if Nikon knows that everyone is likely to think the N1 is going to be abandoned, why not introduce something N1 related e.g. a lens or viewfinder --something, anything really-- to demonstrate to the N1 faithful that Nikon is still with us? Even a statement that there will be new N1 cameras and lenses this year, as vague as that is, would be the decent thing to do if Nikon is serious about the N1 line.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    It is a miracle N1 survived this long ;) ...
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The Nikon 1 AW 1 is easily one of the most useful cameras Nikon ever made. We use it at the worksite ,etc. every single day. If this camera system is dead......it is tragic! Some elements of it may be, but the underwater, shock proof, etc, I hope not. The Nikon 360 is obviously where Nikon is going with Go Pro type cameras......but the Nikon 1 AW 1 deserves a lot of respect. I wonder what Thom Hogan's take on this is as his groups have used it a lot?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Some of Thom Hogan's posts on his site area about amazing! His posts here on NR is very appreciated and the other contributors add a huge amount too! It doesn't get much better than this. Can only say I wish I had this much helpful advice and insight for my ENTIRE photo career! In my very slim income "retirement" years this site is almost a life saver!
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Anyone what to bet against a V4 before 2017 ends?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Be brave make it before 2017 begins ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

A few of the camera stores in Japan are apparently have a fire sale on all thing N 1.
    I am probably going to pick up another body as backup to use with the lenses I already own given that all production has liked ceased.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I never owned one but my son in law told me every time he turned it on he needed to go into the menu before he could start shooting ..It did not remember his settings...so for me it never lived.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Had a V1, V2, V3 and most of the lenses,It took Nikon 4 years to develop the camera and at best it was disappointing, low ligh capability was just unacceptable,plus the pricing compared to other manufactures was not competitive. If they make a V4 thats 4 attemps at getting right. I sold all my N1 camera gear and have never missed it at all. Sorry Nikon, I think you got this format/model wrong.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    According to attendees from CP+, Nikon 1 is officially dead with the company representatives saying there will be no update to the V series cameras anymore. They have stuck the two remaining Nikon 1 cameras by the trashcan on the way to the shitter. Pretty much says it all.
    So are you willing to bet there will be no new Nikon 1 gear by end of '17?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I sure would bet N1 is dead. Heck Nikon 1 was DOA. Not because the cameras were poor, but because Nikon always tried to fill them with gimmicks, rather than making them usable for enthusiasts, and provided too few fast lenses.

Nikon targeted the entry level market/soccer mums, with a price too high for the group. In reality the primary buyer for such a camera system would be budget conscience enthusiasts, and those who want to carry a low weight second kit. I think they kind of figured that out with the V3, but it was too little too late as the system already had a stigma attached to it in the minds of buyers.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2016
    If it be ded I be not too happy ...

a couple of recent ones from my V1

and other with FT1 and nikkor lense

Nope not happy at all !! I want a V4 !!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I love the N1 system and would be also very dissapointed if Nikon will drop it. Would love to see v4/5 with 20mps bsi sensor, proper af-e/af-l button and proper hotshoe.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Good pictures! Has anyone tried a V1, V2, or V3 shot in low light and then used the TOPAZ DeNoise 6 software? Topaz declares it makes an ISO 1600 shot look like an ISO 100 shot. (I gave my D3 to my granddaughter, so I cannot try it now.)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.