Help!!!!

CassieCassie Posts: 19Member
Time for me to upgrade from film and my crappy Coolpix. My papa tells me to spend money on lenses but cameras are crap so don't spend to much but he is useless and knows nothing about Nikon! My late uncle shot Nikon and I have a F100 and manual focus lenses from him. What should I do!

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    We need to know two things. Budget and intended use, i.e. what you like to shoot. From there, the springs of knowledge (or at least opinion) will flow.
  • CassieCassie Posts: 19Member
    Duh yeah!!! So obvious when you say that but I am unexperienced still. Less than ten thousand definite! I like landscapes, street, and people. I am also going to do video entertainment so I need to do live video and a tripod.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Nikon P900 and put the rest of your money into a good Pension Fund
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    That! My f100 and a scanner will be better than that. I may be 25 but appreciate quality because I see the photos my dad shoots. I am going to Berkeley for a master in computer science in September which will be my pension and now that I got almost a full ride I don't need the money I saved.
    Assuming your retirement is already funded, I see no reason not to get a D500 and a few lenses. You should also get a ninja or other external video recorder, an external mic and a gitzo carbon fiber tripod w/ video pan head. Personally if starting over I would get the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 the 70-200mm f/4 and a 300mm f/4 just to cover all ranges. Throw in a nice portrait lens like the 85mm f/1.4 (also the one of the sharpest knives in the drawer). A 35mm DX f/1.8 and my fav 20mm f/1.8 and you have the street covered. These are all modern G or E lenses and will work on any other body (Df/D810) you decide to add on.

I'm boycotting math today but I bet this is all under $10K. You can rock it oldskool with your F100 lenses when you want the truly retro look. Also you will memory cards, backup drives, speedlights, strobes, umbrellas, stands, refelctors, and assistants to carry it all :smile:
    A D500 is DX. Will my F100 lenses work on that? They are old like the 80s. The youngest lens is older than me. Video is greek to me but have to learn. That funds my school.
    A few more extra batteries won't hurt for video, and make sure you get big memory cards 4K video eats them for lunch. I have a Tiffen variable-ND filter that is great for video as well. You will want a few other filters ND, Grad-ND, polarizer, for landscapes. I like to use a remote shutter trigger, and you will want HDMI cables, a XQD and CF reader for your PC.

Don't forget about Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and a printer? Gee this is starting to get expensive :lol:
    Wow! The mod was right my head is spinning and I have to think through this.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Any 35mm film lens or FX digital lens will 'work' on a DX DSLR body, the D500 will also work older digital era lenses suffixed with a 'D' which require a focus motor built into the body (as they don't have one in the lens like the 'G' type lenses do), but of course you will have no auto-focus with the old film era lenses. As you are used to shooting film, you would be fine with a high level of intervention so that may not bother you but I expect you will drop it pretty quickly when you see what the D500 is capable of AF-wise. It would be like having a Ferrari but never using the engine.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick in dismissing the quality of shots from the P900 point'n'shoot if I were you, @paulr posted a shot from his somewhere on NR the other day and it was MIGHTY impressive by any standards. Really.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited May 2016
    I am becoming an Ambassador for the Nikon P900 even Nikon UK say that,It just gets the results other cameras cannot get and with the new model on its way, can't wait.
    I am has guilty as the rest when it comes to spending money on equipment but apart from work this camera has become my number 1 camera, anybody want to buy a heavy D810 and a load of heavy lenses. Below here is an image with a P900 $400 camera.
    Yorkshire Wildlife Park Doncaster P900
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited May 2016
    Brash young Kids are fun! :-)

I'd say get a D7200(or if you are made of money, a D500) and an 18-140 ... learn the ropes and then see where it takes you :-). Lots of fun ahead or lots of frustration...

Post some photos when you get going :-) (... and listen to your dad ;-) )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    $10,000

Nikon D810 Body, Sigma 20mm, 35mm, 50mm f/1.4 ART Lenses, 70-200/2.8 Nikkor, Induro CLT104 Tripod, BHD2 Bullhead,and add ARCA Swiss "L" Plate to D810. This will get you started.

And, if you want to create some intent in the fashion photog...rent a 400/2.8, shoot wide open and let him drool over the bokeh....
    Msmoto, mod
    The reason I'm suggesting the D500 is because @Cassie indicated video, and this is the only Nikon DSLR that does 4K, other than the D5 for quite a bit more.
    edited May 2016
    Wow lots of great ideas! It is too much! I am also thinking about doing something like cheap like a 5500 with its cool tilt screen then see what next year's fx looks like. Then it becomes small little sneaky street camera. Ironheart you are right about video. Does the 5500 do decent video? It is just internet live streaming stuff which is my paycheck but best quality is not most important. Also in Montreal my partners and I are using Canon or is it Panasonic? video not DSLRs. In Californa will have no partners so will Nikon cut out after 20 minutes of live streaming? I read can only 20 minutes.
    Post edited by Cassie on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited May 2016
    You might need to wait a little while for the new FX cameras to come out, the D750 just came out recently and they don't replace them as frequently.

Edit- maybe not, I didn't realize the D750 came out in 2014.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @Cassie All DSLRs are limited to under 30 min of video by EU law, otherwise they are taxed differently and people will be sad at the price (more sad). That is why I suggested an external video recorder such as a Ninja. I was kinda yanking your chain a little 'cause you said keep it under $10K . It is almost always best to start out with a smaller, cheaper, more approachable camera that will let you get your feet wet with a system, which is what you are ultimately buying into. Camera bodies are almost the least important part of the system, and the part that gets (at least in my case) upgraded frequently. The lenses are the long-term investment, so buy wisely.

The D5500 is a great starting spot for a body, and when you upgrade to the latest/greatest in a couple of years it will become a fine backup. Go for it, and a kit with the 18-140 isn't a bad way to start. I still recommend getting a few primes as well.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited May 2016
    D5500 video reviews and info on Youtube. Add the www. to youtube.com/user/NikonD7100Channel/search?query=d5500

Copy and paste into browser to view several informative videos on the D5500.
    Post edited by autofocus on
    edited May 2016
    Ironheart said:

@Cassie All DSLRs are limited to under 30 min of video by EU law, otherwise they are taxed differently and people will be sad at the price (more sad). That is why I suggested an external video recorder such as a Ninja. I was kinda yanking your chain a little 'cause you said keep it under $10K . It is almost always best to start out with a smaller, cheaper, more approachable camera that will let you get your feet wet with a system, which is what you are ultimately buying into. Camera bodies are almost the least important part of the system, and the part that gets (at least in my case) upgraded frequently. The lenses are the long-term investment, so buy wisely.

The D5500 is a great starting spot for a body, and when you upgrade to the latest/greatest in a couple of years it will become a fine backup. Go for it, and a kit with the 18-140 isn't a bad way to start. I still recommend getting a few primes as well.

Do you mean this from BH site? Atomos 4.3" Ninja 2 Video Recorder (Full Version) IF I hook that up do I get more than 30 minutes?
    Post edited by Cassie on
    The P900 is just not what I want. I don't need telephoto about 100 is about as long as I need.
    Yes, it will record the HDMI output from the camera until the hdd fills. 10hrs per TB.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited May 2016
    @cassie I agree with Ironheart. Invest first in lenses the tben the body.
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
    @Cassie You may want to visit Photography Life website. They have a guide that walks your through different purchasing options based on questions that you answer and provide you with several options at the end. This along with the valuable information you have received here you should be in a better place to make a decision.

https://photographylife.com/gear-guide/camera-purchase-guide

I would also encourage you to post some of your photos on the Photo of the Day thread. It would be great to see some of your photos.
    Hey vtc2002 that is a good site but little out of date with old models. But still good. As soon as I get a digital camera I will post on PAD. I was looking through it and there are some good shots.
    @Cassie You are correct about the model but it is good to help determine whether you might better suited for a entry level, mid level, prosumer or professional level camera. Then you can look at the current cameras in those categories to make your decision. You have good recommendations here.
    My bad for the PAD. From your What use is Flickr thread post it sounded like you were active on Flickr. Film post are welcomed on PAD. My post today on PAD is a film photo.
    Flickr. I don't have an account yet I only look at it. I just checked out this 500px that your posting buddy recommended and it rocks to! Which one is better you guys think?