What use is Flickr?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Cassie said:

OK.I read this thread and there seems to be something emotional and unsaid like my dad and jobs I choose.. Flickr is the main reason I want to upgrade my F100 besides a work reason. The shots are amazing you should look at explore sometime.

There are lots of good shots on Flickr. I like to collect them here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westendfoto/galleries/
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited May 2016
    I have been using flicker to post photos to Nikon Rumors Forum. But it doesn't seem to let me share a NEF file. Is that right? Cannot upload a NEF file to Nikon Rumors through flicker? Then how do I link to a raw file so people can upload it and process it themselves?
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Dropbox or google drive.
  • CassieCassie Posts: 19Member

Cassie said:

OK.I read this thread and there seems to be something emotional and unsaid like my dad and jobs I choose.. Flickr is the main reason I want to upgrade my F100 besides a work reason. The shots are amazing you should look at explore sometime.

There are cool shots here some look like duds though.

This is uber cool if you ignore duds https://www.flickr.com/photos/westendfoto/galleries/72157650321973022/

vtc2002: I read less than 10% of the material posted on this forum. If you don't like a person or a thread I would suggest just don't read it. It is easy to skip over a comment or a thread. Read what is of value to you and nothing else.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @donaldejose I would like to know what you found offensive that the moderators did not. I do not have a problem with anyone on this site, I do not know anyone on this site well enough to say that I like or dislike them and I respect everyone here. We all have the right to express our opinion and to agree or disagree. Like you, I read the post that are of interest to me. I use Flickr almost every day and find it very useful.
    edited May 2016
    vtc2002: You misunderstand, I found nothing "offensive" in your posts. I am not saying any of your posts should have been deleted by a moderator. I just noticed you were frustrated by some posts of someone here. We all are at times frustrated with one person or another or with one subject or another. The answer is to simply skip reading those posts. I remember PitchBlack claiming he would quit if the moderators didn't delete all mention of the D400 which in his mind was a "fantasy camera that would never appear." The simple answer was for him to simply skip reading any posts about the D400; especially that long thread about what people predicted or wanted to see in it. He refused to do so (self-screen what he reads) and quit in what I would call a juvenile "hissy fit." Guess what? PitchBlack was wrong and the D500 exceeded almost all of the things people wanted in the D400! I am predicting now a successor to the D810 coming out late this year with a 50+ mega pixel sensor and the same AF system as in the D5 and D500 priced at about $3,000. While I mention this in some posts I have not started a thread on it. Some people like to "predict" and others don't. There is a lot of stuff in NRF which I don't read because it doesn't interest me and that is what I think all of us should do. I even read those parts of Ken Rockwell's site which interest me and laugh at his comments which are over-exaggerations. People often miss the point that Ken deliberately over-exaggerates a point for entertainment.
    @donaldejose I see your point. Your message applies to @WestEndFoto as well.
    Agreed. It applies to all of use who get frustrated and want to continue a debate to prove we are right. There is a thin line sometimes between debating an issue in an effort to probe all possible elements of that issue and arguing just to defend our point of view. I am sure I have been guilty of the latter at times.
    @donaldejose Thank you. I agree with you and as I stated above I tend to dig my heels in when the discussion gets personal, etc. It is something I will work on changing. Appreciate the feedback.
    Cassie said:

Cassie said:

There are cool shots here some look like duds though.

This is uber cool if you ignore duds https://www.flickr.com/photos/westendfoto/galleries/72157650321973022/

Yeah, there are duds. You are correct. I add them as I see and like them and I am not as critical as I should be if I am curating a gallery.
  • CassieCassie Posts: 19Member
    When I get set up there will be lotsa duds.

vtc2002: I read less than 10% of the material posted on this forum. If you don't like a person or a thread I would suggest just don't read it. It is easy to skip over a comment or a thread. Read what is of value to you and nothing else.

Yup......
    edited May 2016
    WestEndFoto: I skip reading some of your stuff also! Don't be offended. I am not interested in every thread. And I don't expect people to read every thing I post either even though I thinking my comments are very interesting. LOL
    Sorry Donaldjose, you misinterpret. I am conveying "fatigued agreement" with you. I only read about 10% as well.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I read almost 100%, but I only comment if I have something very interesting, witty, and relevant to the topic at hand :grimace:
    edited May 2016
    Wow. almost 100% - I don't think even a moderator reads that much of NRF.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sorry to say I have to read 100% Don. (Sigh)!
    Always learning.
    I feel for you spraynpray. I surely don't have the time to do that. Thank you for your work.
    I agree. Spraynpray sometimes has a thankless job and his contribution needs to be appreciated.
    Ditto for all the moderators.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Gosh, read? Actually, in the old days when we had lots of spammers, scammers, trolls and other undesirables, an hour a day was spent researching all the new folks to discover if they were indeed simply attempting to sell or steal something.

Currently, Spraynpray does most of the work here, but we do not have 50 spammers a day to deal with due to the Forum software improvements....thank you Peter.

As to Flickr, this is how I use it, primarily because I do not charge anything for my images. Yup, all free.

An example, at the Vintage Sportscar Racing Association event here at Road America in Wisconsin (temp this AM 33° F) I posted my photos to Flickr so the folks who want images of the cars can download up to a 3MB file...at no charge. Seems to work for me.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2016
    @Msmoto and all the moderators and Admin deserve a big thank you for all that you do to keep this site up and running so smooth.
    I agree with your comment about Flickr. It is one of the best for sharing your photos with others as you described.
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited July 2016
    Well, I don't think Yahoo could be owned by a worse company... Verizon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/business/yahoo-sale.html

Not sure what happens to Flickr, but be ready to be nickel and dimed to death and showered by a multitude of confusing payment options.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S