Dangers From Being A Photog?

Comments

• DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    ROFLMAO

Denver Shooter
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Gear theft. www.dpreview.com/news/9679338837/photographer-brett-costello-s-photography-gear-stolen-in-rio-s-olympics-zone
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Wildlife need to be respected.
    In this case he moved toward the vehicle on the left and changed direction and headed toward me.
    DRM_5573
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    ...And the only thing more dangerous than trying to photograph that big cow would be the attempt to milk it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnZ2vFR9Hc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEGB6hJ1C0g

www.youtube.com/watch?v=estTtyHv8D4
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    LOL Donald - just don't let him sit on your lap!
    Always learning.
    @donaldejose - its crazy what people do with wild animals.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I would never do what these people do! No wild animals as pets for me, ever.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnZ2vFR9Hc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEGB6hJ1C0g

www.youtube.com/watch?v=estTtyHv8D4

Some people just can't settle for a dog.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member

Gear theft. www.dpreview.com/news/9679338837/photographer-brett-costello-s-photography-gear-stolen-in-rio-s-olympics-zone

I was shooting the portrait below for a event. We were in a room but there were a lot of people walking by in the hallway. I had three camera bodies, 5+ lenses, lights, etc. I had another photographer with me that had 2 cameras and 4 or 5 lenses. We had 8 to 10 people in the room with us. We shot a couple of different poses and I went to change cameras. When I went to where we had left our bags, my bag with a D800, D3S, 50 f1.4, 85mm f1.4G, 24-70mm f.28, 200mm f2, cards, filters, batteries, etc. were gone. The other photographer also had a bag taken with a camera and two lens. The facility had surveillance cameras and they captured two young men walk in and take the bags. We had a security guards for the celebrities. They saw the people take the bags but thought they were part of our crew. Despite having the video our equipment was never recovered.
    Fortunately, everything was covered by insurance but it was a hassle. One piece of advice is that you should have your serial numbers written down and stored where you can easily access them, without that information the police will not be able to help you and your insurance company will not process your claim. I have a app on my phone that I use. I also take picture of my gear that I take with me on trip. It's a lot easier to look at the photo to document what you have with you rather than trying to remember what you put in your bag.

Portrait
    "I also take picture of my gear that I take with me on trip. It's a lot easier to look at the photo to document what you have with you rather than trying to remember what you put in your bag." Very good idea.
    Just don't use the camera that gets stolen... :s
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @vtc2002 I had to leave my equipment in some corners covering events when I had no assistant. Fortunately nothing has been stolen that I'm aware of. Sorry for your loss and hassle with insurance. Its good to have for times like that.
    @Vipmediastar_JZ Unfortunately, this has not been my only experience with stolen or lost equipment. I have on several occasions had equipment taken while shooting. I have changed a lens and sat it on it top of my bag or on a bench turned around and taken a few shots and turned around and it has disappeared. Now, I always keep my bag in front of me, usually at my feet. If I move my camera bag goes with me.

I thought having a security guard present when shooting events or concerts would help but that has not been the case. They have helped on several occasions and stopped or caught the people in the act. I am constantly amazed at how bold people are and the excuses they make when they are caught.

Traveling has always been a challenge. When I first started traveling I could not carry my gear in the cabin and had to check my gear. Rarely did my equipment arrive with me or on several occasions never made it. I started shipping my gear and this has turned out to be safest and most secure way to make sure that I will have equipment when I get to my location.

Insurance is a pain but it is well worth the hassle. NPS has been a life saver.

@spraynpray Unfortunately, thieves today will take just about anything that is not nailed down. I've had sunglasses, coats, notebooks, etc. taken. I have come to expect it and plan for thief, loss or broken equipment.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2016
    I just remembered. In my last event The main photographer and I parked our Carts with equipment right outside the bridal suites for the getting ready shots. Mine on the right and hers on the left of the door. I went out of the grooms suite and noticed my cart was full of flowers and other wedding stuff. I said to myself no big deal no harm. I went back to finish the photos at the suite.
    When I came back out my cart was gone. I asked the guests if they seen my cart and they said it was in route to the Ceremony location. I asked them to retrieve it as it was my photography equipment.
    Withing 10 minutes or less it was back, they apologized as it was an honest mistake.

This was a very very traditional wedding and I felt confident that it was an honest mistake since the flowers on top of the cart was probably just an indicator that it was a flower cart for the ceremony.

Close call.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    @vtc2002 - sorry for my unclear post, I meant don't use the camera to photograph the gear you take on the assignment that later gets stolen (or the image goes with it...).
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Always sad when gear is lost or stolen. Maybe we should capture the gear with our cell phones, email the image to ourselves.

Back to dangers... recently snapped a few at the Wyndham Pro Am at Sedgefield Country Club, and, having never done this before, steep learning curve. One note, shooting with 600mm equivalent on the D500, about where the drive off the tee would be coming down, even in the trees the sound of a golf ball hitting branches creates a spooky feeling, and of course, getting immediately behind a tree with head covered.

Fortunately I had a course marshall behind me who gave me a heads up when the ball was coming my way. Near the tee, I was cautious about keeping my side to the golfer with the camera at my eye, protecting my head in case one of the amatuers shanked the ball.
    Msmoto, mod
    One of those shanking amateurs would be me. I am terrible at golf and a mortal threat to the other participants photographers included, but I enjoy the game.
    I have been to the Memorial PGA Golf Tournament 14 times and only once went on Wednesday when you can bring a camera to the course. Msmoto, I know what your saying when the golf ball hits and bounces off a tree. Helpless feeling.
    Well, I fell victim to the dangers of being a photographer. I was in Spain the first of November and my guide and I decided to go early one morning to get some sunrise shots. On our way to one of the locations we were approached by a small group. We both knew this wasn't good. We did all the right things. We dropped our bags and gear and stepped back never making eye contact with them. Begged them to take the gear and leave. Despite this they decided to attack us. I was stabbed 7 times in the abdomen and had multiple superficial lacerations. One of the knife wounds punctured my right lung. We were beaten (concussion, broken ribs, etc.), robbed and left for dead. My guide was beaten but was not stabbed but he was in critical condition. I do not remember much of what happened after this but the between the police and others I have been able to put the pieces together. Another group of photographers found us about 20 minutes or so after the attack and fortunately one of the photographer was a trauma surgeon and another was a nurse. They wrapped my chest with duct tape and was able to get my right lung to re-inflate. I was airlifted to a US Military Hospital in Germany. I spent 2 weeks there and I am now at a Military hospital in Washington, DC. I received nothing but the best care from our military personnel and would not be alive today without their care.
    Sometimes not matter how careful you are and even if you do all the right things bad things can and will happen.
    VTC2002, that is awful! Will you make a full recovery?

Where in Spain were you? I was there a year ago.
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    OMG VTC2002, this is just unbelievable but glad to hear you guys survived the ordeal - all the best for a swift and speedy recovery so you can get behind the lens again a.s.a.p. Like WestEndFoto I've visited Spain on many occasions over the last 5/6 years staying 8/9 weeks at a time as my wife and I were thinking of moving there. Admittedly we were not in the big cities (Barcelona, Madrid etc.) but still in popular resort areas and of course I was always out with the camera. Fortunately I've not had any scares even walking back from local festivals late at night with kit on show. It would be interesting to know just where your attack occurred so everyone can be forewarned if travelling to the same area. Once again you have all my best wishes for the future.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I hope you and your guide both recover fully.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    Oh man, Vic, I wish you a speedy recovery. Please keep in touch, I'm sure all of your many friends here wish you the same too.
    Always learning.