d5 or d810 successor

i have a d810, looking for a 2nd body for wildlife so i can keep a landscape lens on the d810 and dont have to go back and forth. torn between D5 , d810 and continuing............... to wait for the d810 successor. realistically does anyone have a best guess for" in my hands" for d810 successor- are we talking 2017 now?? i use a 600 mm F4 so i dont need huge crops but having the option is nice.
thanks for the advice
Tagged:

Comments

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Have you had a situation where the frame rate, or high ISO performance of the D% would have saved a shot, or improved your chances. If so, the consider t, if not, why give up the resolution of the D810 (or successor).

The answer depends on the question.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• sempowskisempowski Posts: 2Member
    i understand, thanks,

i dont find the iso performance of d810 that great but i do love the 36mp. i am torn. i am thinking if i have both d5 and d810 i have both worlds covered but cant seem to pull the trigger on it.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Buy it :naughty: The worst that can happen is you have to sell it at a small loss, or give your D810 away to a homeless person when you fall in love with the D5. It's not a lifelong commitment (says the guy who has every camera he ever bought).
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am waiting for the D810 successor and hoping for 54 mp and the D5 focus and processor. That will be my D7200 in crop mode. It will go well with the D500, D5 is out of my price range.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    retread said:

I am waiting for the D810 successor and hoping for 54 mp and the D5 focus and processor. That will be my D7200 in crop mode. It will go well with the D500, D5 is out of my price range.

You have a pretty good chance of getting something pretty close.
  • Nikonsince1974Nikonsince1974 Posts: 78Member
    retread said:

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you NEED 54MP? Do you do or plan to do 8+ foot wide murals? That high a resolution exceeds the resolving capability of nearly every lens on the market.

Nikon F2S w/ MD-2, FE-2 w/ MD-12, Nikkormat FT3, Nikonos V, F4S, D700

16mm f/2.8 Fisheye AIS, 18mm f/3.5 AIS, 24mm f/2.8 AIS, 28mm f/2.8 AI, 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkors, 35mm f/2.8 AIS, 50mm f/1.4 non-AI (AI’d), 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro w/ PK-13, 85mm f/1.4 AIS, 80-200 f/4 AIS, 105mm f/1.8 AIS, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS, 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS, TC14B and TC300.

Hasselblad 500CM with PM90 prism finder and A12/A16 backs, 40mm f/4 CF, 60mm f/3.5 CF, 80mm f/2.8 C, 150mm f/4 C and 250mm f/5.6 C lenses
    I think that is a fair question.

I don't print anything unless one of my photo clubs begs me - I will enter an exhibition but not a contest for reasons that I have described before. However, I do pixel peek and admire the fine elements and details in an image. Also, I anticipate that my images will be just as relevant in the future as they are today. For this reason, I want the best possible IQ to meet not only today's standards, but tomorrow's - or at least get as close as I possibly can.

And someday I may really want to print really large. How do I know that an image I am capturing is the best possible image? I don't, but I take the best raw image I can in case I have a keeper.

As the lens resolution issue you describe. I suspect you are right, though I wonder how many lenses can exceed 36 megapixels at their best apertures - say f/5.6 or below. I believe that there are some and certainly have some candidates in mind, all primes. One thing that is certain, properly exploiting these are resolutions is certain to be expensive. I am watching developments in medium format with great interest.

I think that is a fair question.

I don't print anything unless one of my photo clubs begs me - I will enter an exhibition but not a contest for reasons that I have described before. However, I do pixel peek and admire the fine elements and details in an image. Also, I anticipate that my images will be just as relevant in the future as they are today. For this reason, I want the best possible IQ to meet not only today's standards, but tomorrow's - or at least get as close as I possibly can.

And someday I may really want to print really large. How do I know that an image I am capturing is the best possible image? I don't, but I take the best raw image I can in case I have a keeper.

As the lens resolution issue you describe. I suspect you are right, though I wonder how many lenses can exceed 36 megapixels at their best apertures - say f/5.6 or below. I believe that there are some and certainly have some candidates in mind, all primes. One thing that is certain, properly exploiting these are resolutions is certain to be expensive. I am watching developments in medium format with great interest.

I feel much the same way except I do enter a contest occasionally to get an idea of how my photos stack up with others. It is a way to see if I am progressing and having a little fun with a granddaughter who enters the same contest. She beat me so I need to catch up. Guess I taught her too well. :)

I like being able to crop if I find something I overlooked when I took the photo or just can't get close enough.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you NEED 54MP? Do you do or plan to do 8+ foot wide murals? That high a resolution exceeds the resolving capability of nearly every lens on the market.

You can start to see weakness in many lenses at 54 mp, but I think most modern lenses still have a lot of information to give at this resolution, and the best lenses can resolve 54 mp almost perfectly (I am thinking about Sigma Art 50/1.4 that I have used a lot, and how it is perfectly sharp at 36 mp, at least as far as I can tell).

Also, 54 mp on fx is about the same pixel density as most dx cameras and you seldom hear people complaining that they have an unnecessary amount of pixels on them.

My prediction is that at some point in the future there will be more than enough pixels on all cameras, and until then the number of pixels will increase. And I am also looking at medium format with some interest :).
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I currently shoot with the D810 and D500 and have no interest in a D5. Even if I could swallow the cost, I don't want a body that size. I'm at the point where I will only buy a new FX body if it incorporates the AF from the D500 and better or equal DR than the D810. Whether it has more MPs or a faster frame rate doesn't matter, but a deeper buffer would be useful. Having the same buttons as the D500 would also be nice. I'd also give up the flash for a larger finder ala D7xxx to D500. I don't worry about the resolution of my lenses at higher resolutions, I believe most are capable of providing quality images.
    pictureted at flickr
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited June 2016
    I am with the 54MP camp ..I can use my DX lenses,crop my birds and have superb landscapes..Mirrorless and silent would be good too .Just please please make some sort of lock on the settings menu
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Pistnbroke - When the pistnbroke was there a crackinhead or a holeinblock :) I too have spent my time in the auto world.

I have the D500 and am saving for the D810 successor. They should make a great pair. I would like them to share as many things as possible, batteries, cards, control layout and so on.

Size of D5 is not a problem but price is. I don't think I would be happy with mirrorless but have not tried one. Quiet I like.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    To me it sounds like the OP really just wants an 810 successor rather than a true sports camera. Given the sensor delays of Sony, I would put realistic chances of an actual shipment sometime in November time frame with an announcement in late August or early September. The one wild card is that they could use a custom or competing fab again and forgo Sony, but my hunch is that the sensor chip was already set before the earthquake so Nikon is unlikely to change it now.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Yes retread you must understand 181 then.....
  • One_Oh_FourOne_Oh_Four Posts: 70Member

I am with the 54MP camp ..I can use my DX lenses,crop my birds and have superb landscapes..Mirrorless and silent would be good too .Just please please make some sort of lock on the settings menu

I thought so too, D500 and D800, UI almost the same, only need the 16-80 and 80-400 for my airshow travels... Until I looked through the viewfinder of the D800 with the 16-80 attached. Horror! What does the world look ugly, small, and deformed! So now I carry the D500, D800, 14-24, 24-70, 16-80 and 80-400..... :)

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Just got the July/August issue of Popular Photography. Excellent review of the D5 and a few pages later a nice review of the 300mm F4 lens. The D5 article will make you drool.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    I agonized over the D5 when it came to be, but I decided to NOT plunge. It is a fabulous camera - but it doesn't do the things I need. I am waiting to see what happens by the end of this year. I need DR... and some excellent resolution. And I'm tired of constraining my shots within the capabilities of the camera I have. 10+ years is long enough. If Nikon doesn't have what I want then I'm thinking I just, really, may step away from it for the first time in 45 years. It is a hard (and expensive) thing to do.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I still use a D4 for low light situations. The D5 just did not have enough improvement to make me switch. Now, I am hoping the D810 replacement will pack a real punch.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @MegapixelSchnitzel what's wrong with the D810? It will blow away your D80 and has more than enough DR/MP to satisfy. Even when Nikon comes out with a replacement, it may or may not be what you (or everyone) wants. You could be making beautiful images right now... Don't wait... Get off the fence... you can always trade it in. :naughty:

It's not a marriage, it's just a date. Buy it from a reputable camera shop and they will work with you when/if it comes time to trade in.
    edited August 2016
    MegapixelSchnitzel, buy whatever Nikon replaces the D810 with and be done with it. When Nikon upgrades the D810 my D800 will be my backup camera. I could take more than half my best images using my wife's D5500. How could a D810 possibly come up short for you? And it's successor will be even better.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    If I could have only one camera, it would be the D810.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I'm curious to see what the D810 successor will offer now that the 5D Mk IV is out. I guess it's time to sell the D800. Ref the OP, unless you are shooting a lot of low light action then I would wait for the D810 replacement.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    sempowski: back on topic, when will the D810 be released? Tony Northrup predicts 2017 but what does he know? Last December Thom Hogan was predicting it would probably be announced at Photokina (end of September) but what does he know? Maybe you will get lucky and it will be announced in a month and then you will know exactly what it contains. No solid leads or rumors have surfaced on Nikon Rumors.
  • MegapixelSchnitzel, buy whatever Nikon replaces the D810 with and be done with it. When Nikon upgrades the D810 my D800 will be my backup camera. I could take more than half my best images using my wife's D5500. How could a D810 possibly come up short for you? And it's successor will be even better.

Its actually a D2Xs. I know, I know. But she still makes gorgeous pictures. I just wanted a successor to be another D# with that tough body and good sealing that can take what my old girl has been through - and still work beautifully.
    I suppose I can sympathize with that. When the megapixel race is over and all cameras have the same resolution like the film days, or the race becomes senseless (say greater than about 60 megapixels), then I will buy a D9. Until then, I settle for D8xxs. I recommend that you do the same.