Buy a D750 or wait for the D6x0 ??

The reality is that whether I buy a D750 or the D6x0 I'm going keep it for a while (I've had my D50 for 10 years), so I want to get the most camera I can

So when they starting discounting the D750 a few weeks I was ready to click BUY, but then I thought I'd wait to see if the next gen 6x0 was introduced at Photokina; which I assume will both drive the D750 down in price further and provide a brand new alternate to consider that's within my budget. So Photokina has come and gone without a D6x0, but now they've discounted the D610 & 750's "base" to last weeks "sale price" and are discounting beyond that which has me convinced that the D6x0 or D7x0 are coming very soon:

The question is how soon ??

What is the next "event" that Nikon historically has used to announce new products ??

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2016
    The best camera in your price range that should stand the test of time (10 years!!) is the D500. But if you are keen on going Full frame and the decision is between the D750 and D610 or their successors, I think it may be worth waiting till january/febuary for the next iteration.

I have the D610.. Its very nice as an image capture device. ie the sensor output is really very nice, the D750 is even better with better AF. but I am planning to get a D500 :-) not the D750 or their successors. why ? basically the Pro Body configuration. I will probably keep the D610 and convert it to IR as its resale price is undervalued due to the bad reputation that is undeserved.

Another choice for you is a second hand D810. I have been considering this myself but I like the DX format for my fav type of photography.. (macro & tele)

You should let us know your main interest in the various types of photography as that will help with the recommendation. eg if you like Astro and Landscape the the Pentax is a great choice .. If you like underwater the the AW1 is still an excellent choice. Street Photography? Vintage lenses? the the new Fujifilm XT1 looks very attractive .. let us know your interests, it will help with our recommendation..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Hello, welcome to NRF.

I think the bigger question is what lenses do you own already. Depending on what you already have, these cameras may not be your best choice. That being said, you may own a few FX lenses already, and in that case I'd go for the D750, but that's if you're not limited by budget. You honestly can't go wrong with either option though.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Let's assume that you have lenses appropriate to an FX camera and your needs. If you are into sports, action, news etc. I would either get the D750 or wait, possibly over a year, for its successor. Most of everything else, I would wait until the D620 comes out.
  • Thanks for the input thus far, as a bit of additional background:

I really like shoot landscapes, but have been doing more "portrait" type shooting of late ...

I was originally planning on staying DX and buying a D500, but I don't shoot a lot of wildlife or sports (other than kids/grandkids), so the "reach" of DX really isn't important to me. That said, the larger pixels and sensor mean more photons captured, which to my simple thinking can't be a bad thing. I also miss the look of landscapes shot at16mm...

As for FX lenses, I only have one worth discussing, the: Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR1 but I have funds in the budget for these two when I buy the new body: AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED VR & AF-S NIKKOR 50mm F1.4G
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The D750 has the filter on the sensor and cameras without this show about a 20% improvement in sharpness .I would wait or buy a D810 as the price is dropping
    edited October 2016
    Since you like landscapes, portraits and "miss the look of landscapes shot at16mm" I would think that the D810 should be high on the priority for you. I would also consider the Pentax K1.

However, There is a chance that the next D750 / D6x0 could have the 36MP sensor from the D810. So for you I would suggest that you wait for the next round of cameras from Nikon. You will either get what you exactly need.. or have the prices of the D810 drop because its replacement arrived.

The D610 is terribly cheap at the moment second hand.. maybe pick one up and when you get what you want from Nikon, convert it to IR like i plan to do to mine, or sell it... you wont lose much if you had got it second hand.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Good luck going fullframe. Sounds like the right choice for you.

You have many FX options already to choose from, but in this thread it almost sounds like those current versions are "not good enough". But for image quality, they're all more than good enough. Don't wait for something, unless you know why you're waiting. Which improvements would we desire, and do we know we WILL get them by waiting?
    Ok, waiting for further price drops on the old bodies is a valid reason, I guess. I wish I was that wise.

Remember, we know nothing about future cameras, except that they'll get SnapBridge and a price bump.....
    The rest is unknown. Quite often, a successor primarily gets another layer of perfection, and not those "hard" improvements on specifications, that some expect. In this case, we don't even know if the D610 successor and D750 successor will merge into one. Not saying they are, but we don't know.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @SouthSideScubaSteve Don't wait. Buy now. You can always sell and buy a new model. Or keep it as a backup. A camera shouldn't be a marriage. Just a friend. If you are worried about price, get a used or refurb, then when you sell it, you won't be out hardly anything at all. I have owned/own D3100, D5100, D7000, D7200, D500, Df.
    I sold the D7000 to buy the D7200, took a $150 "hit" on the D7000 (bought used for $600, sold for $450) but, I got to use a great camera for a year!
    I paid $650 for my new D5100 and sold it four years later for $450 to help fund the D500 purchase. That's $50 a year!
    I bought a used Df for $1500 with 8k clicks. I can probably sell it for more than that right now. I plan on selling it closer to the (rumored) announcement to fund a Df follow on for Nikon's 100th anniversary in 2017.
    If I were you, I'd grab the $1600 D750 refurb that Nikon is selling in their on-line store. You have 90 days to check it out, and you can buy a third-party (Mack or Squaretrade) warranty for like $100 for 3 years.
    Then in a year when Nikon might release a follow-on, you can sell it for probably $1300, with the transferable warranty, and you will have rented a D750 for $300 for a year. It would cost that much to rent it for one month from lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com!

Your D50 was a great camera, but it will gather dust (well-earned no doubt) after you start messing with any one of the current models.

I can make a similar argument for the D810 or the Df, any of which will be great cameras for you right now :smile:

Oh, and in case you didn't know, we love to spend other people's money on NR :naughty:
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    For lens choice I'd ask you consider the 20, 50 & 85 f/1.8 Your cost should be close to your other two but would give you more to work with. IMHO VR is not that important in the 16-35mm range but the f/1.8 opens up a new dynamic in SDF and low light uses over a wide range.

I'd get grab the deal on the D750 w/those lens today and enjoy it for the next 10 years. Coming from a D50 you will be in WOW for years.

framer

Thanks for the input thus far, as a bit of additional background:

I really like shoot landscapes, but have been doing more "portrait" type shooting of late ...

I was originally planning on staying DX and buying a D500, but I don't shoot a lot of wildlife or sports (other than kids/grandkids), so the "reach" of DX really isn't important to me. That said, the larger pixels and sensor mean more photons captured, which to my simple thinking can't be a bad thing. I also miss the look of landscapes shot at16mm...

As for FX lenses, I only have one worth discussing, the: Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR1 but I have funds in the budget for these two when I buy the new body: AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED VR & AF-S NIKKOR 50mm F1.4G

Given the lenses that you are going to buy, I wouldn't wait for more pixels. These are fine lenses (I have the 50) but they are not good enough to demand more pixels. Since you are not into sports, I would consider buying the D610 either used or new now but if you are really patient, then wait until the D620 comes out. However, the D610 is a good price now, so spending the extra money is not necessarily a benefit.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2016
    If you want the absolute best, go for the D810. Considering that you're going to need more FX lenses, I'd go for the D750, it's a good compromise between the D610 and D810. I personally don't care for huge files, so I'm not too big a fan of the D810.

Completely off topic, but I forgot to mention that I started digital photography with a borrowed D50 when I shot for a friend during an event. I then proceeded with a D40 for many years and moved to a D7000.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Well, if you can afford it, buy the 810, but then you should be spending more on lenses too. Regarding the D750, which feature does it have that the D610 doesn't have that will help you take better landscape and portrait shots. If you really want better portrait shots, I would spend the money on an 85 1.8G instead of a better camera.
    Yeah The D610 is quite good value for money at the moment (due to the unfair bad rep). Although its the "basic" full frame system from Nikon .. it will be a HUGH jump for you from a D50. 6MP -> 24MP !! even in dx mode the D610 has almost double the MP and probably more than double the resolution due to the weak AA filter that it has. Add to that the very nice colours and DR.. Id be over the moon :-) well I was .. I still have my D70 which has the same sensor as your D50 :-)

Furthermore, the AF system is a huge improvement. Sure, its not the best at the moment (D500,D5) not even the second best, but its at least 3 levels above the D50 :-)

Also @WestEndFoto makes a good point.. the lenses you are planing to get will not need the very very high resolution cameras. the 16 MP of a Df and the 24MP of the D610/D750 is more than adequate. I have the 50mm f1.4 g .. a nice lens for portraits and general photos, but its well known for not being very very sharp. It has other qualities.

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    If there ever is a D620/D650 (and it's not mirrorless) I'd bet it'll probably inherit a lot of the tech from D750 (AF, metering, flip screen, etc.), and add a few new things like SnapBridge. Or, D750 will eventually become the D650. So, it's probably just a question of D750 now or D750 later and how important things like SnapBridge are to you.

The D750 successor (if there is one) will probably inherit a lot of tech from D5/D500, but also cost $2,300 - $2,500.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    My prediction is that as an entry level FX camera, Nikon will do whatever it takes to keep costs down. So a flip screen it will not have, nor a 36 megapixel sensor. I will go further out on a limb and predict that the D6 will have the same 24 megapixel sensor as the D630 and that Nikon will see this as an opportunity to manage sensor costs.

I think, however, that you can look forward to advances in Snapbridge and their incorporation into the D620. Unless Nikon is stupid. Wait! They are stupid! At least the department that is in charge of the customer experience. The good news is that I don't think Nikon is Blackberry stupid, but Microsoft stupid. They will spend a few hundred million dollars, or even a few billion, on lost opportunities and dead ends before they eventually muddle through.
    edited October 2016
    if I were to guess what the D610 successor would be like I would says .. much the same + snapbridge..+ new expeed.+ Maybe D750 AF system.

for the D750 successor. I would say it could go several ways all including snapbridge + new expeed.
    1) a true D700 successor.. ie Pro controls, 36MP or 21MP , Flippy touch screen.
    2) D760.. ie D750 + touch screen. Maybe 36MP

The D810 successor I think needs to go past 36MP so 42 or 50 etc.. will include snapbridge touch screen and the D5 af system.

I doubt that they will put the new AF system into a D610 successor. I think that it will be a "cheaper" version somehow albeit incorporating the recent advances.

For the D750 successor. I can imagine it having a 36 megapixel sensor as they can probably maintain the frame rate with a new Expeed. They might increase the frame rate to 7 fps, which sounds better than 6.5 fps. A touch screen and the latest Snapbridge seems a given. But I doubt it will have more "pro-controls". There are already two models with "pro-controls" and I think Nikon will want a higher end enthusiast camera "position" in the lineup that the D750 fills neatly.

The crystal ball speaketh, and it is often a lying SOB!
    yeah the D620 may be like the D3300->D3400 ie they may take things out of it.. like the focus motor and reduce the size...

• vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    NSXTypeR said:

If you want the absolute best, go for the D810. Considering that you're going to need more FX lenses, I'd go for the D750, it's a good compromise between the D610 and D810. I personally don't care for huge files, so I'm not too big a fan of the D810.

Completely off topic, but I forgot to mention that I started digital photography with a borrowed D50 when I shot for a friend during an event. I then proceeded with a D40 for many years and moved to a D7000.

My prediction is that as an entry level FX camera, Nikon will do whatever it takes to keep costs down. So a flip screen it will not have, nor a 36 megapixel sensor. I will go further out on a limb and predict that the D6 will have the same 24 megapixel sensor as the D630 and that Nikon will see this as an opportunity to manage sensor costs.

I think, however, that you can look forward to advances in Snapbridge and their incorporation into the D620. Unless Nikon is stupid. Wait! They are stupid! At least the department that is in charge of the customer experience. The good news is that I don't think Nikon is Blackberry stupid, but Microsoft stupid. They will spend a few hundred million dollars, or even a few billion, on lost opportunities and dead ends before they eventually muddle through.

I agree with @NSXTypeR and @WestEndFoto that you should consider the D810 and would add if the D820 has 50+megapixels the D810 will hold it's value a lot longer than the D750 or D610 as I think a lot of people are happy with the D810 and 36 megapixels and will not upgrade to the D820. That demand will keep the used prices high for the foreseeable future. It also seems that the D810 is a better fit for your shooting needs than the D750 or D610. You might want to check the Nikon refurbished website. They recently had the D810 listed for around $2500. I believe the D810 is worth the cost difference between the D750. I would buy one now and not wait.
  • superfortresssuperfortress Posts: 4Member
    it is quite informative.
    edited October 2016

it is quite informative.

:p Good luck with your decision ... Let us know how you decide :)

• I'd love an D810, but unless they introduce a D8x0 (driving the 810's price into my budget range) my options are the D750 or one of the D6xx's and that's ok!
    The reality is that with 24mp and the advances in metering/image control/ AF technology verses my D50 either the D6x0 or the D750 will be a game changer for me ...

Several people have recommended buying one of the above now and trading up whenever Nikon decides to introduce the next "oh, I need that!" model in my budget range; but I guess I'm just not wired that way...

So for now, I'm treading water & leaning toward the D750
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Interesting advice, and a good question. The specs of both the D610 and D750 are so close that it's difficult. I'll be honest I really wanted to like the D610 based on it's value but I picked up the D750, literally held it in my hands and loved the way it feels, got on the then waiting list and had one as soon as they had them in the store. If ergonomics aren't as important to you D610 is a great value.

I really not sure why the D610 is still with us, it hasn't sold well especially since the D750 came out. I think it's 50/50 whether it's upgraded or just discontinued.

The D810 is a great camera but a different class, big pro-body, high megapixel monster and 3K+. If your need/want the megapixels, shoot landscapes or studio work it's the best. The D610 and D750 are great general purpose shooter.

I'd get the D750 and well I did :-)
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • Just noticed the 10% off all refurbished body's special for this weekend only; that makes a Refurb'd D750 ~ $1498!! :-)