Help with D750 please?

The other evening we had some friends over for a round of Longmire season five and dinner. During dinner our friends suggested that we take a photo of all of us in our Longmire tee shirts so we could post it to Facebook. Yes, we are totally Longmire dorks!

Anyway, out came the D750 and tripod.

In the C:3 menu I set up a 10 seconds delay, 3 images, and a .5 second interval. I then switched the release mode dial to Self Timer, the mode dial to Auto, framed the shot, pushed the shutter all the way down, and then joined the group for the photos.

Ten, nine, eight,..., two, one, click.

Just one photo. What gives? I thought I could grab a more candid photo if I surprised everyone with the extra shots. But no joy. It took only one photo.

I then rinsed and repeated but this time in full manual thinking Auto maybe doesn't work with the self timer. Same results.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Were you using the built-in flash? (what mode were you in also?)

Page 108 in the manual:
    Using the Built-in Flash
    Before taking a photograph with the flash in modes that require the flash to be raised manually, press the flash button to raise the flash and wait for the flash indicator to be displayed in the viewfinder (p. 182). Shooting will be interrupted if the flash is raised after the self-timer has started. Note that only one photograph will be taken when the flash fires, regardless of the number of exposures selected for Custom Setting c3 (Self-timer; p. 337).
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited October 2016
    We should send Vic to investigate this issue but walt may just figure it out before she arrives.

I don`t have an idea but I like the show. Season 5 ended too soon.

was it set to Manual focus or auto? Off memory it may have been hunting focus and never acquired it and therefor didn't take the photo if you had the settings to acquire focus first before releasing shutter.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Ironheart said:

Were you using the built-in flash? (what mode were you in also?)

Page 108 in the manual:
    Using the Built-in Flash
    Before taking a photograph with the flash in modes that require the flash to be raised manually, press the flash button to raise the flash and wait for the flash indicator to be displayed in the viewfinder (p. 182). Shooting will be interrupted if the flash is raised after the self-timer has started. Note that only one photograph will be taken when the flash fires, regardless of the number of exposures selected for Custom Setting c3 (Self-timer; p. 337).

yep, the pop-up flash would be my guess, too.. As Ironheart's pointed out it's clearly stated in the manual that only one exposure will be captured when the flash is used (and the OP stated that they'd attempted this "the other evening" - so I'll bet the flash was used :) )
    Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)
  • RangerDocRangerDoc Posts: 4Member
    I don't recall using the flash because we had all the lights on. But I'll replicate the issue and see if that is what caused it. Thanks for the insight on the flash issue.