What use is Flickr?

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, when one cannot find a file due to a external hard drive failure, downloading from Flickr works. Have made 20" x 30" prints from a 2000 px image (longest side) on Flickr.

But, big corporations, the lowest of low. Cannot communicate with them....
    Msmoto, mod
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    Has anyone seen or heard a rumor as to what to expect of flickr if the take over of Yahoo by Verizon is approved? For better or worse.
    Price goes up.... LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    Msmoto said:

Price goes up.... LOL

My thoughts but maybe better connectivity. They have the $$ to do it with. If they want to. Got to have the ROI....

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    My bet is it gets sold off. I don't think it was fully integrated into Yahoo
    I will backup anything I might have there that was lost on a computer crash between backups earlier this year. The whole thing if there is a way for mass downloads like uploads.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    @FreezeAction if your photos are in an album, you can download a zip of an album from the album.
    there might be another way if you're the owner of the photos... but i haven't had much experience with that sort of thing.

@FreezeAction if your photos are in an album, you can download a zip of an album from the album.
    there might be another way if you're the owner of the photos... but i haven't had much experience with that sort of thing.

I own all but not many of any monetary value on there so not to concerned. Most of my stuff is consumer direct as in family action photos. If it where landscapes of value with $'s spent on travel I'd have them backed up on at least two more systems miles apart. It's the sense of not having that single point of failure from any cause including natural disasters or worse. Right now I don't know what to think of this change and hope no one gets burned. In the past some services have shut down and left the shop with no manager.

• jimmyboyjimmyboy Posts: 505Member
    vtc2002 said:

@Msmoto and all the moderators and Admin deserve a big thank you for all that you do to keep this site up and running so smooth.
    I agree with your comment about Flickr. It is one of the best for sharing your photos with others as you described.

• egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    back up is what i use flickr for high quality jpegs for free , easy to upload from lightroom using published service ,
    Having been preoccupied with too many other activities, I have returned. The forum for me is to sit and watch as the real workers are Spraynpray and Ironheart.

Flickr....where my 6000+ images are for me to reference...
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Does anyone hate the new Flickr redesign? It seems like they ported a tablet viewing experience to a browser. When people upload more than a few photos and you click on it, you get a preview of tiny, tiny photos. I'm not sure why anyone would be OK with this, you don't decide to view Flickr on a desktop/laptop to view small previews of photos.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? My photostream looks just like it did yesterday. Are you looking at your camera roll?
    I would post a screenshot of what I see, but I'm worried about copyrights.

The photostream hasn't changed, but they now split the new photos section of people you follow into two columns.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited January 2017
    This is what @NSXTypeR is talking about. It seems like Flickr is playing around with some of the settings or testing new functionality. Some times when I login I get the old look and feel and other times I get this. I only did a small screenshot in case there is an issue with copyrights.

Flickr
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
    I have been in Flickr today and it is really slow. I can see the image and doubled checked to make sure it is public. 12 people have viewed the screenshot on Flickr so I am not sure what's going on. Curious if others are having issues with Flickr being slow.
    Works fine for me. Looks like world-wide response time is ~80ms
    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/flickr.com.html
    Yell at your ISP :wink:
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    With all these cyber-wars going on, we never know what the heck is happening really.
    Always learning.
    Everything else that I have tried is running as usual. Each time I login I get a different screen. It is either the old version or the screenshot that I posted. It's weird.
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
    You must be talking about Mr. Trump....
    vtc2002, that's what I meant, thanks for posting that.

What's worse is that from that view, if I click on a photo, it gives me a 640x480 preview of the shot afterwards smack dab in the middle of the screen. It's annoying and unnecessarily small.
    Change all your Flickr passwords, Yahoo has been breached.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/yahoo-hackers-stole-information-1b-accounts-44196851

I guess Flickr is useful for getting your identity stolen. If I could port my Flickr account to Google, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's the only reason I have a Yahoo email account anyway.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    This hack was previous to the previously released hack. If you changed your password since then you are probably OK. If you are a Chinese dissident with a Yahoo account, you may know why you are in prison.
    My understanding, unless something new pops, is that this was all done in the 2013 timeframe, so your password from that era is the one to worry about. Don't use the same password on everything is the best advice (programs like lastpass help). And don't for the love of God click on any links in an email.
    Even if your bank says "get your statement" or google says "click here to change your whatever" DON'T! Go directly to the site, log in, and see what you can see there. Almost any email saying "go here" is a phishing attempt. Even if you know the person, their computer or account could be compromised.
    Tin-foil hats distributed at the door :naughty: