Dangers From Being A Photog?

14567810»

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am shocked Vic. Shocked. Theft with menaces is bad enough, but deliberate and unnecessary serious violence shows us that there are some very horrible people out there.
    Always learning.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @spraynpray It seems that there are more and more people in the world that do not value a human life. You have something I want or need that I can make money off of and you are an inconvenience in getting it. It's not just in countries like Spain either, I have seen it at home and every place I have traveled. This has been the most difficult part of this attack. My life was worth a collection of camera equipment that in a year or two will be worth practically nothing. I cannot imagine living like the people who attacked us. I cannot imagine living and not having a moral compass or not being able to look at another human being and seeing nothing more than an opportunity to steal from them at any cost. I pray that this will change but it seems that the gangs have no problem getting as many new members as they want.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes, particularly in certain communities, such as inner city Chicago, human life is considered so invaluable that people get shot over a perceived showing of "disrespect." One can argue mankind is becoming less civilized in certain places. The question to ponder is why?
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Humanity will always need to deal with the left hand side of the bell curve unfortunately.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Glad to hear your on the mend Vic. Sadly, as you stated, it's just not Spain but everywhere. I live in the Tulsa, Okla and I absolutely refuse to go downtown to shoot anymore. Police can no longer police and the thugs have taken over the streets to behave at will.
    I don't know what the answer is. It seems the world has jumped to the post-apocalyptic state that I thought was ridiculous when I saw it on film years ago.

35 years ago I made the decision to pass on children purely and simply because I didn't want to leave my children in the world I feared we were heading for. That seems like a good decision these days.

Let's all be very careful out there guys.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Sorry to hear about your life changing encounter.
    I used to feel like that in Chicago but I'm more selective when I shoot and where.
    But it doesn't mean something won't happen at noon and in the downtown area.
    I had to call the police several times when I see possible life threatening situations.

I seen videos of people killing over some shoes. People have no respect for life. Stay safe out there and we hope for your recovery is well.

@spraynpray I feel like that too but we ended up having kids and everyday I worry non stop about them.
    I wanted to give everyone an update on my status. I was released from the hospital earlier today and I am at home and will get to spend my first night in my own bed since late October. I still have a lot of recovering and rehab to do before I will be able to return to teaching and taking photos but it is great to be home. I want to thank all of your thoughts, prayers and kind comments. They were a source of encouragement and strength during this ordeal. I apologize if you posted a comment and I did not send you a personal note thanking you. Once again thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
    Victor
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    VTC I am glad to see you will recover and hope your two medical worries will heal. I have not been on in a few months but just saw your post and couldn't imagine how you feel. Stay safe, Kevin
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    That's great to hear VTC! I'm glad you can be home for the holidays. Wishing you more recovery and all the best, Mako
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    vtc2002 said:

I wanted to give everyone an update on my status. I was released from the hospital earlier today and I am at home and will get to spend my first night in my own bed since late October. I still have a lot of recovering and rehab to do before I will be able to return to teaching and taking photos but it is great to be home. I want to thank all of your thoughts, prayers and kind comments. They were a source of encouragement and strength during this ordeal. I apologize if you posted a comment and I did not send you a personal note thanking you. Once again thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
    Victor

Glad to hear your recovery is now going well.
    Wishing and praying that things continue to improve and you will soon be back to full health.

Best Regards,
    Baldy, ;)

@scoobysmak , @HockeyMan and @bald_eagle I sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comments. I had to go back in for a couple of surgeries. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. They really meant a lot to me. I am looking forward to 2017 being a better year. Wishing all of you a Happy New Year and hope it is a great year for you.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Take your time. Heal up. Best wishes for the new year.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    VTC, understand that you don't have to comment back to me at all. Your injuries were serious enough for hospitalization, so you had many other things on your mind aside from a "random" guy on a forum. I hope 2017 finds you back to full health and prosperous to boot!
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @vtc2002

Sorry, I have not been active on the Forum for awhile, but wish to express my sincere condolences for your traumatic experience. I have not been victimized in this manner, and cannot imagine what you are going through. But, I will keep you in my heart and hope you have a good recovery.

I do understand the nature of your injuries, having spent many years of my life in the practice of medicine.

Be well.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Msmoto - welcome back. Thought you retired from NRF! :)
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @dissent, @HockeyMan and @Msmoto thank you for your kind words and thoughts. It seems like this never going to end. I was discharged from the hospital last night after another surgery to correct a complication. I have procedure next Tuesday and another surgery Feb 14th.
    @Msmoto I did know you practiced medicine. What type of practice did you have?
    Glad to hear you are out of the hospital!
    @donaldejose Thank you. I hope you and your family are doing well.
    I have to be honest and tell you that my feeling are: "May your assailants rot in hell." Such people should not be on this earth with the rest of us.
    I believe God has a special place for them.
    vtc2002 said:

Just not soon enough...
    Always learning.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

vtc2002 said:

Just not soon enough...
    But when they get there it will be for a very very long time...

Denver Shooter