Nikon has no 16mm f2.0 DX lens. OK. Why doesn't Sigma make one? Or Tamron?

TWGTWG Posts: 25Member
Rectilinear, I mean. Small and WITH AF. Even if I get that it's not smart for Nikon to make one, why don't the other ones do it? I mean, judging by the clamoring on the internet (and my own sense of unfulfillment), that would make sense.

Is it technically hard?
Tim Wong Fotografie | http://www.timwong-fotografie.nl/

Comments

• TWGTWG Posts: 25Member
    Thanks for the effort, but...

No AF, and it's big and heavy. Fuji has a 16mm 1.4. Kinda big and heavy, but a 2.0 should be smaller and lighter, right? Or not?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2017
    Its to do with the need for a retrofocus design (to deal with the mirror/flange/mount distance) that makes the lenses "big and heavy", and if its going to be big and heavy might as well make it a zoom. Thus there are several zooms that cover that range.. all "big and heavy"...

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2017
    16 mm on DX is not a lot different to 18mm that we all have and with the reduction in noise I dont think the market is there for the lens, 10mm on DX would be wide . Why not try a Samyang 14mm f 2.8 thats a brilliant lens ....focus ...forget it ..tape it up at 10 ft and shoot.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Why not try a Samyang 14mm f 2.8 thats a brilliant lens ....focus ...forget it ..tape it up at 10 ft and shoot.

Unless you want to shoot starscapes - focus is super critical for that.
    Always learning.
  • TWGTWG Posts: 25Member
    Thanks heartyfisher. Love the wide angle primes I have on my mirrorless gear, but the Nikon DX gear I have is just less useful than it could be right now. Pity.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I use my 20mm, but it really depends on what you are shooting? The 10-24 is a decent lens for what it is, and great for architectural and landscapes.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I dont have a great interest in wide angle .. but if i do want to shoot wide angle, I do have a nikkor 12-24 ... which is a huge overkill for me. Just cant find it in me to sell it.. the build quality just keeps me holding on.. ( Not a good reason but it just proves to me I am more Gear Head than photographer .. sigh..)

oh back to the topic at hand ... what was I wanting to say ? oh yeah .. I am not a wide-angle shooter so DX suites me so well at the moment .. but I feel ya, if was a widey it would be a bit of a pain... still the new Tokina 14-20 F2 is nice :-) I have my eye on it.. but then I remember I am not a widey .. sigh :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    How about the up coming 14mm f1.8 Sigma Art? Fingers crossed on the aberrations.
    Always learning.