Upgrade from D5600 to D500?

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @webmastadj you can wait to see what the D7300 will have to offer if you aren't in a hurry. If you are, get the D500. It covers all bases and is a fantastic camera. IQ is fantastic and you can't beat the AF. If you listen to all the pixel peepers you'll never make a choice. Buy what you want and don't look back. There probably won't be an update to the D500 for a year or two. Forget about Full Frame unless you want to buy all new glass. If you have DX glass now you'll save a few bucks with the D500. Not to mention that 200-500mm will be equiv to 300-750mm when you buy it ;-)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @webmastadj one-third of a stop means that the ISO related noise at ISO 100 on the D500 would be equivalent to the noise at ISO 125 on the D7200. Which is to say negligible. Here's a shot I took at ISO 204,800 on the D500 just because I could :smile:
    DSC_4022_DxO
    Try that on the D7200...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2017
    LOL :-)

Ahh.... but the D7300 will have even better IQ than the D500... just like the D90 had better IQ than the D300... ;-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    @autofocus I do love your thought process. If you want it just get (as long as it is good quality). I expect the D500 to last me 3+ years as I buy new FX glass. By then, maybe the D820 will be out.

@Ironheart You can't really argue with that one....If ISO 100 on the D500 is like ISO 125 on the D7200, doesn't the D500 go to ISO 50? I know it probably doesn't actually work that way, but just thought it was a interesting point.

@heartyfisher Very valid point. I did think of that as well as I am sure it will but I will be ok with the D7300 surpassing the D500 in IQ at those small numbers. Besides, I will be able to use the D500 for an additional unknown amount of months by the time the D7300 is shipping.

Thanks everyone for the input, it was helpful. I just went ahead a bit the bullet and purchased the D500 body only with 128 XQD card. Figured it would give me plenty of options for expandability in the future even if the IQ is sub D7200 in the lower ISO range. I also went all out and purchased the 200-500 F/5.6 as well. Friday will be like Christmas....just like when I got the D5600 in January.
  • ericktessierericktessier Posts: 38Member
    I think you just saved Nikon from bankruptcy. D5600 + 18-140mm in January and then D500 + 200-500 f/5.6 in march.

With that money in your pocket why didn't you go for a FX right away? You know it will be the case in 2 months with the 105mm f/1.4 or maybe the 200mm f/2.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Great choice! Now go take some pics and post 'em up on the Photo-A-Day thread. Have fun :smile:
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2017
    :D sometimes I am a bit of a stirrer. if the iq of the d7300 is better.. it will be so small that only mad pixel peeping will differentiate it. >:)

congratulations..on the d500.. and a great gf..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited March 2017
    @ericktessier Lol, if my orders are keeping Nikon in the black, we have issues. The D5600 my girlfriend is buying it off of me, I only lost about $200 on that body. I justify the $200 loss as it would have cost me more than that to rent it for two months anyways. I did like the camera and would have kept it if it wasn't for the fact she wanted to get one....gave me an excuse to upgrade. FX with good lenses is just such a high entry point. I am using the DX to find what things I like to shoot, then I will purchase the FX camera and lenses based on that after I get more experience.

@Ironheart Sure will.....and am open to constructive criticism as well.

@heartyfisher Does seem like you do like to stir things up a bit. Did help learn a few things so not all for nothing.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    That's a great girlfriend that is willing to buy it off you. I was thinking she would just ask for it ;)
    Hit the gym in the interim while you wait for your new gear; you can thank me later :p
    edited May 2017
    Update: Been loving the D500 200-500mm f/5.6 combo this weekend. Couple photos taken with the combo.

Early Bird

The Moon
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    That's impressive. At some point I'm going to have to go full frame and the D500 is on my list of contenders.
    edited March 2017
    @Searcy The D500 is actually a crop (DX) sensor. It is their flagship DX that is compared to their D5 full frame. Originally I was thinking D810 for my full frame camera that is when I grow up, but now with the D500, I might stay crop and pick up some better glass. Only time will tell.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Ohhh, I'm not a good gear head. I thought the d7200 I'm shooting with was the last of the crop line. I figure I'll shoot with it for a few more years before making the jump. Maybe I'll understand it all by then.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I would rate either the D500 or D7200 as WAY better than the D5600! I have used these smaller Nikon's a lot, but a D7200 or a D500 is a WAY better camera. Owning both D7200 and D500 I think their images are almost the same. TheD500 is blazingly fast, no built in flash though which petsonally like.....
    edited May 2017
    @Daveyj After using the D5600 and the D500, it is like night and day! At first I was worried about the weight, but I would say the D500 is much more fun to use.

The only thing I am torn about, when I am ready, is if I should go the D810 (or whatever the new model is) or just go to the D5. Figure D5 and D500 are much more similar to each other; controls and all. But again, the D5 is $6,500 camera. I am not there yet as I have just picked up the 70-200 f/2.8. Looking to upgrade glass first. Now time to save for the 24-70 f/2.8.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @webmastadj congrats on the D500. Looks like you are already having fun with it. The glass you mention will serve you well. I won many lenses but the 24-70 and 70-200 are uber useful in all situations. Keep shooting sir!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

@Daveyj After using the D5600 and the D500, it is like night and day! At first I was worried about the weight, but I would say the D500 is much more fun to use.

The only thing I am torn about, when I am ready, is if I should go the D810 (or whatever the new model is) or just go to the D5. Figure D5 and D500 are much more similar to each other; controls and all. But again, the D5 is $6,500 camera. I am not there yet as I have just picked up the 70-200 f/2.8. Looking to upgrade glass first. Now time to save for the 24-70 f/2.8.

As other members have spoken about before, was there a reason why you went pro DX instead of beginner FX? Were you thinking about doing sports and birding or more landscape work?

That's a really expensive way to get into photography. If you have the money, go for it, I'm just curious about your decisions.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @NSXTypeR I started with purchasing the D5600 not thinking I was going to go any further and was happy with DX lenses. Originally it was more of something fun to try. Since then my interests have grown and have expanded. With that, when I decided to purchase the D500 over, say, the D750, it was because of the feature set. To me, the only real difference between the D5600 and the D750 was the FX sensor so why would I pay an additional $1,000-1,500 for just a FX sensor upgrade? Plus all the lenses I would need up front. I don't see that as a justification. Just some specs comparison:

D5600
    - 5 frames a second
    - ISO 25,600
    - 1080p video
    - Single SD Slot
    - Not weather sealed
    - 1/4000 shutter
    - 39 AF points

D750
    - 6.5 frames a second
    - ISO 12,800
    - 1080p video
    - Single SD card slot
    - Not weather sealed
    - 1/4000 shutter
    - 51 AF points

Based on those, they are very similar. Now the D500:

- 10 frames a second
    - ISO 51,200
    - 4k video
    - XQD and SD Card
    - Weather Sealed
    - 1/8000 shutter speed
    - 153 AF points

So with that why would I go entry level D750? I can use the D500, with all the advanced features of a pro camera and slowly save up for the FX glass which will work great on the D500. If gives much more versatility than getting just an entry level FX camera.

Will I ever purchase a FX camera? Possibly, but for right now, I am very content with my D500. My focus now is upgrading lenses and getting portrait gear. Also getting out there and shooting.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited May 2017
    @webmastadj There is no doubt about it, the D500 is a serious and fabulous piece of equipment. It sounds like you will get a lot of pleasure from it. I would like, however, to clear up a couple of misconceptions. I really wouldn't call a D750 "entry leveL" While not flagship in terms of performance, the 750 is a top tier camera. I personally shoot a D7200 and a D610. I moved to the 610 from a D5100, so my path is similar to yours. I can assure you the IQ from the 610 is anything but "entry level." It doesn't have the bells and whistles of a D750, but it takes very sellable images.

For some time there has been a debate over what a "pro" camera is. I've read most of them and still don't have a clear picture. That said, the fact that a camera has picked up a "pro" label has a weak relationship to the quality of the images it will capture. In some parts of the performance envelope a D5 (you mentioned it earlier) under performs my D610. In a number of others it leaves the D610 deader than true love. If someone needs what only a D5 will do, they should by all means buy it. But the "pro" label it carries has, for me anyway, a pretty narrow definition. For my uses the 610 is, in my estimation, the better camera, for me. My advice is to not get sucked in by labels and (some) specs.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • rangel28rangel28 Posts: 11Member
    @autofocus I like how you think. Now if only I can convince my wife..... :)
    autofocus said:

If you work hard for your money and can afford the D500 and that's what you really want, buy it. The D500 will not disappoint and you already know it pairs well with the 200-500mm. Camera purchases aren't always based on what you need. Often it can be based on what you want as long as you can afford it. I don't need most of the equipment I own. I wanted it.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

@NSXTypeR I started with purchasing the D5600 not thinking I was going to go any further and was happy with DX lenses. Originally it was more of something fun to try. Since then my interests have grown and have expanded. With that, when I decided to purchase the D500 over, say, the D750, it was because of the feature set. To me, the only real difference between the D5600 and the D750 was the FX sensor so why would I pay an additional $1,000-1,500 for just a FX sensor upgrade? Plus all the lenses I would need up front. I don't see that as a justification. Just some specs comparison:

So with that why would I go entry level D750? I can use the D500, with all the advanced features of a pro camera and slowly save up for the FX glass which will work great on the D500. If gives much more versatility than getting just an entry level FX camera.

Will I ever purchase a FX camera? Possibly, but for right now, I am very content with my D500. My focus now is upgrading lenses and getting portrait gear. Also getting out there and shooting.

I guess that makes sense, but then why not go all in and go with the D810 instead of the D500? Maybe it doesn't have the FPS or the speed you want?

The only reason why I suggested the D750 was because you went with entry-ish level DX and thought you would have gone with mid-level FX if you were to upgrade.

In any case, it seems like you have a solid set of gear to grow with and definitely a large wallet!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @NSXTypeR Lol, I am just stingy with a lot of other things. My motto is if you can't produce something that will last your life and maybe longer, then it isn't worth the money or time.

I did think about the D810, but for one, the D810 is due for a upgrade (D820 or D850). And I didn't have any FX glass at the time so that would have been a much larger price jump. I felt that the D500 wasn't as limited. I have never said while shooting, "I wish I had a bigger sensor." With the D5600, I did say "wish it was faster." Also ran into the buffer running out on the D5600 a few times. Plus I didn't like the limited focus points on the D5600. The controls on the D5600 were ok, but didn't feel great. They got the job done, just not comfortably. So with that, I figured the D500 would be a better fit. I basically don't want to go out and miss a shot because the camera couldn't do ______.

Now I do see the advantage to the D810 for it's large megapixels which is awesome for cropping and large printing; but with the 20MP of the D500, it will force me to focus on getting the shot right the first time. I try to never crop any of my images.

@Capt_Spaulding I agree with you but a lot of people base entry level vs pro level on price and number of products in the line up. But a true professional knows it is about what tool fits to job. In my day job, a lot of people like to do things because they are 'cool' or have complicated solutions to show off their knowledge. I completely believe being a professional is not knowing what or how to do something, but knowing when not to do it.

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    NSXTypeR said:

I guess that makes sense, but then why not go all in and go with the D810 instead of the D500? Maybe it doesn't have the FPS or the speed you want?

The AF of the D500 blows the 810 out of the water. Not sure what he is shooting but the AF is an order of magnitude better. That its rumored that the 810 replacement will have the D500/D5 AF system is really good news for many folks.

Now I do see the advantage to the D810 for it's large megapixels which is awesome for cropping and large printing; but with the 20MP of the D500, it will force me to focus on getting the shot right the first time. I try to never crop any of my images.

I crop my D500 all the time. In fact I have the lower button set for easy switching to the 1.3x crop mode on both my D500 and D810. Maybe you will need to crop less if you shoot with zooms, but with primes it's extremely helpful. What I am trying to say is never say never, especially now that you have a camera (D500) that can utilize built in crop modes so you don't have to waste time in post cropping.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    To NSXTypeR. Having owned many medium and large format and the D700 some time ago, I question the ascertion that FX is clearly superior to DX. I have used the D750 and D800 and did not see advantages to me with the FX format. In my work depth of,field and not wrecking a photo with diffraction is one of the requirements. The favorite cameras for me are the D500 and D7200. The other gear we use is not made by Nikon and in aerial and UW they are required gear. They too are not running 80 megapixel images yet. But with DJI now owning Hasselblad that too may change. One thing I truly admire on the D500 is autofocus! Accurate as all get out and faster....
  • bestbuddy8sbestbuddy8s Posts: 3Member
    Well I personally use Nikon D5600 and I did try D500 but didn't find it to be so interesting. I would much rather invest my money in some good lenses since I didn't find the transition from Nikon D500 to Nikon D5600 to be worth the cost. However it all depends from what you are looking for, and my advice would be to visit your local camera and lenses shop and play around with both, I think that is the best way to make a decision. :) I wish you luck!