Do you need more stuff?

tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
I haven't been around much. I actually haven't taken many pictures lately. Life and kids have made my days long and busy. I however got to take a cruise to Alaska for 7 days in late June.

I took my D5000 and D5200 and all my lenses. I carried both bodies with different types of lenses...usually my zoom on one for landscapes and a telephoto lens. I took over 1000 pictures and I can't tell which body I used to take any of them. So despite NAS do we need more stuff? I was pretty happy with most of my shots...I did fudge a bunch of shots with my 300 F4/300 F4 with 1.7TC on and my auto ISO was not on...slow shutter speeds = lots of blurry pictures for the first bit of the trip. Overall though I was happy with what I had and the pictures I took...I actually felt like I didn't need anything new or more stuff.

And I will throw in some shots from the trip while I am at it :p

DSC_0196

DSC_1193

DSC_1149

DSC_1228

DSC_0116

DSC_1034
D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Not really for me either. I realized that the 70-300mm and the 105mm macro are about as big and as heavy I'm willing to go for camera gear. Any bigger and I'm not going to want to carry it. Even when I went to Hong Kong I left my 70-300 home. I will say that high ISO is lacking with the D7000, so I've been thinking about a D7500 or a D7200. On the other hand, I'm also looking at an iPad Pro because my old iPad 3 is getting long in the tooth and not getting updates to iOS for at least a year now. Plus, I'm far more likely to use an iPad every day as opposed to a DSLR. Both are high price purchases, although the DSLR is obviously going to be slightly more.

Long story short, between the 50mm 1.2, the 35mm 1.8, the 18-135mm, the 105mm macro, and the 70-300mm, I can do all the photography I'd want. In fact, I've been comfortable with my gear even before I got the 70-300mm. That was more of a splurge purchase than anything else.

I quite like this photo I got.

Right Before Sunrise
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I actually started selling some of stuff. Sold the zooms 24-70 70-200 because i was not using them for my work.

Wife lost her job so i had to sell some other stuff and I'll probably be selling few more items.

I have been able to do my work with 3 lens mostly. The lens is for creative, bokeh or whatever. Besides the GAS and countless of ways you can take a photo: wide, tele, and etc you don't need much.

• framerframer Posts: 491Member

I actually started selling some of stuff. Sold the zooms 24-70 70-200 because i was not using them for my work.

Wife lost her job so i had to sell some other stuff and I'll probably be selling few more items.

Been there, regretted it for over 30 years. Regardless of what you need today one picture on one of those lenses may change your life for the better. You never know what you'll need tomorrow. Feel you pain, no right answer.

framer

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Now to the question from the OP. Need no, want yes...

framer
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I'm with @framer. I'm pretty sure I have all the gear I need. I'd really like a longer zoom (in the 500mm+ range) but would use it only rarely. Need no, want yes.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I don't need anything now. Don't even want anything, but I am interested in the D820 and the upcoming Nikon mirrorless camera.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    I could probably shoot everything I wanted with the 14-24, 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.4. Meaning I could pretty much sell the 24-70mm, 70-200mm, and the Zeiss 100mm.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    tcole1983 said:

I took over 1000 pictures and I can't tell which body I used to take any of them. So despite NAS do we need more stuff? I was pretty happy with most of my shots...I did fudge a bunch of shots with my 300 F4/300 F4 with 1.7TC on and my auto ISO was not on...slow shutter speeds = lots of blurry pictures for the first bit of the trip. Overall though I was happy with what I had and the pictures I took...I actually felt like I didn't need anything new or more stuff.

I know the feeling, but I'm almost on the other end of the spectrum. I have way too much camera gear for how much I have time to use it these days. Haven't been on a real vacation in over three years, since changing careers, which might have something to do with it. Now I look at the two bags and pelican case of gear and think to myself, do I really need all this?

To that end I've been thinking of minimizing my kit for the last 6 months or so, but cannot figure out what I would miss the least. Primes are great for taking photos in tight spots, like parties and such, but zooms mean fewer lens changes. I'm no closer to having an answer today than I was 6 months ago. :wink:
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2017
    PB_PM I think this is why so many people have flocked over to the Sony mirror-less systems for weight and less gear. If this ever happens to me I think I'd just stay with Leica I think and their small, excellent lenses.

I love the glacier pics tcole1983 especially those warm blues :)

Post edited by kanuck on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Maybe swap it all for some nice MFT system like the Olympus. Given enough light, the MFT IQ is plenty good enough for good images. Zuiko glass is good.
    Always learning.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Thanks Kanuxk.

I am with you spray...although I don't feel like i have too much stuff, but certainly not enough time. So investing anymore without being able to use it would be silly. However mostly I just felt like there wasn't anything I needed. I wasn't thinking I really wish I had xXxX while I was out.

Now if someone gave me a 200-500 Or d500 I wouldn't be sad or turn it down.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I have only two want/needs. Long zoom. After relocating to Tennessee we're blessed with many species of song birds right in our own backyard. The 70-200 doesn't do them justice. A 200-500 is on the wish list. With nothing wider than a 35 I'd like the 16-35 f4. I'm done. D820 sounds good but a waste of resources for me.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I want the Nikon 105mm 1.4 :D Do I need it? NoooooooYessssssssss. You never know what lens will change your life, like @framer mentioned. I did a good set with the 85mm 1.8g that got me some advancement in business. I almost sold that lens when I got a zoom but I was convinced from several people here to not sell it. Will the 105mm make me or break me?
    So many variables for needing more stuff. Do you need 2 lights or 3? When I would ask B&H about an item, they would always ask me, what are your shooting?

So if you are shooting birds, you may not need 14mm lens.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    kanuck said:

PB_PM I think this is why so many people have flocked over to the Sony mirror-less systems for weight and less gear. If this ever happens to me I think I'd just stay with Leica I think and their small, excellent lenses.

I love the glacier pics tcole1983 especially those warm blues :)

I tired some Sony A series mirrorless bodies in the store, over priced and cheap feeling, on top of the fact that I cannot stand the poor control layout and UI.

Maybe swap it all for some nice MFT system like the Olympus. Given enough light, the MFT IQ is plenty good enough for good images. Zuiko glass is good.

Not feeling any need to change systems, since weight and size is not a big issue for me at this stage of life. I don't care for the framing of the 4/3 ratio, nor the poor low light ISO compared to FX. If I were to switch today it would be to Fuji, they just know how to make good cameras and lenses, like Nikon.

Nope, I just need to reduce how much gear I have. Might just go back to a set with a 24-70 - 70-200, 105 macro and a super-telephoto. Right now I simply have too many overlapping lenses.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited July 2017
    I am with you PB_PM they feel cheap to me too I don't care how many technological firsts the put into their lineup. The trips I take which require, VR, excellent battery life, weather seals, chassis strength and consistent performance keep me with Nikon. When I went to Nepal it became necessary to pay per hour for electricity in some sleeping quarters, and quite often there was no electricity at all so thankfully my 3 Nikon batteries got the job done especially without live view. Dust, humidity and cold? No problem. My trip would have been a disaster with a Sony system I bet. I can think of similar trips with other issues as well.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Nikon B700 has all he answers 20MP 4K video 24-1440 lens No weigh, tilt screen. Its a must take regardless of the pro stuff I take , and its amazing my back ache as seemed to stop.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited July 2017
    Beware getting sucked into the 4/3 hole ..I have an oly M5 for a holiday cam ..not for the birds and the low light is terrible ,16MP is still 16MP bit like a D7000 for quality ..no good for a wide angle . Electronic viewfinder and VR are great but the battery life is rubbish. On/OFF switch is a pain. no audio input for the video and 1 menory card .But for £200 with 750 actuations who cares.....if Nikon just scaled it up to FX it would be brilliant.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited July 2017
    I feel pretty confident with all the stuff I have. The d5000 and 5200 are pretty similar layouts. Lens wise I don't have much overlap besides my 35 f1.8 which I actually rarely shoot. I just pick up the 35 with my 17-55. If the 200-500 was around when i got my 300 f4 I might have gotten it, but i do love my 300 f4, but miss the vr on the long lens...i have to pay extra attention to my shutter speed. For the amount I shoot now I couldn't justify more money. Nothing recently that has come out has wowed me. My 5200 still ranks near the newest releases. I consider all my lenses to perform pretty well...i paid for them and got rid if any I didn't feel were up to snuff.

Just my thoughts. After not shooting for a while or buying anything recently I was content with my gear.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    edited July 2017
    tcole1983 you feel confident now, but just wait til Nikon releases their mirrorless FX line, or a mirrorless MX (medium format) or something entirely new with a curved sensor + it's lenses. Maybe even a shockingly new DF body. Nikon is overdue now for something significant. I guess my point is there will also be a "pull" which leaves the argument do you need more stuff permanently open so to speak :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2017
    I was hoping for a an AW2 ... but I may have to settle for the new coolpix w300... will wait till later in the year... summer in Australia is good.. will be fun in the seas.

May also be consolidating my gear around the D500 :-) it is an awesome kit....
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited July 2017
    Do you live in Australia heartyfisher or is it a trip you have planned coming up later this year?
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    yeah im from downunder... "Where women glow and men plunder"
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

hearty is an aussie kanuck. Can't you tell by his accent?
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Hearty ..lived in Noosa for 10 years ..just waiting for wife to die so I can go back and find a new sheila .....any minuite now she will or wont wake up ...I live in hope.
    There's that dry northern humour LOL!

Bet she doesn't see that post. ;)
    Always learning.