Nikon D7200: Lens

Hi,

I have recently bought "Nikon D7200"

I have bought "18-105mm VR Lens" and "85mm prime f/1.8"

Are these two lenses are going to be the same nearly?

Should I return either one of the lenses?

I thought;
18-105mm VR Lens will be used for travel/holidays
85mm f/1.8 will be used for indoor portraits/kids/family

Thanks in advance for your time and comments

Comments

• webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    Congrats on your purchase! The 18-105mm from what I have read is a great walking around lens and should treat you well on the holidays. In regards to the 85mm f/1.8 and your use case of indoor portraits, you might find that the 85mm is a little long for indoor locations lacking room especially for DX. I personally don't have the 85mm prime yet but the 85mm f/1.4 is on my list. Currently I use the 50mm f/1.8 and the DX 35mm f/1.8 for indoors and low light. I find the combination of the two allows me to shoot in small environments without an issue. Would I sell the 85mm f/1.8? I personally would not. I feel the three primes someone should have starting are the 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. Some may have different opinions but for my shooting style, I see those as my go to prime focal lengths when shooting portraits. If you find yourself not using the 85mm, you can always sell it. I like to believe one of the advantages of lenses, they hold their value better than cars, sometimes.
  • 2017uk2017uk Posts: 9Member
    Thanks for your views.
    What I get from your reply is that I should keep both lenses in use and experience the photographs for some time"
    I din't want the duplication of lenses actually!!
    edited August 2017
    If you are speaking in focal lengths, then I can see where you are coming from. But keep in mind, although 18-105mm covers the 35, 50, 85 focal lengths, they are not duplicate lenses. You are talking about a f/3.5-5.6 zoom compared to a prime f/1.8. You will let in more light with the prime and the IQ would be higher do to less glass elements, hence why indoor shooting will work every well with the primes.

If your goal is just to cover more focal lengths, you could trade both of them in and purchase the 18-300mm. That would be the "one" lens that would cover the most used focal lengths. It isn't the best at any one thing but gives you the focal length range you may desire.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I had the 18-105. Excellent overall focal length coverage and good quality. Great value. Shooting outdoors at f/8, you might not notice the difference between the two unless you look carefully.

However, the 85mm f/1.8 gives you f/1.8-5.0, which is a lot of flexibility, and the _look_ of pictures taken at these apertures will be different. You get to isolate subjects better. I find it a much more artistic lens to use - you compose the photo differently when you have a shallow depth of field.

Keep them both! Yes it's a little bit high on the telephoto side for portraits, but you can back up a few more feet. Many pro portrait photographers prefer this perspective.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    If you are shooting indoors for portraiture, you might consider the 35 1.8 DX. This is a bargain lens more suited to indoor use. Especially the 1.8 aperture, which will allow you to shoot in light your zoom cannot handle.

Unless you are in big indoor spaces, the 85 on DX is to long except for shoulder shots. My 85 is limiting even of FX. I usually use a 50, which will same as the 35 on your DX camera.
    Thanks webmastadj, KnockKnock, and WestEndFoto for your comments.
    Very useful.

Still not clear in one point;
    For indoor portraits, I will mostly shoot kids playing from a distance of 2 to 10 meters (in rooms / lounge) or when smiling/ activities portraits.
    For this purpose, which prime will be an ideal (35mm f/1.8 or 84mm f/1.8)?

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    2m is definitely too close for 85mm unless you want just their head/shoulders. 10m would be fine. I find the 35mm a little too wide. 50mm is good and you can get the f/1.8 cheaply. I'd say sit on what you have. Experiment with the 18-140, and that will give you the experience to know what focal length is best.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That is good advice KnockKnock.
    Agree with @KnockKnock. Use the 18-140mm to determine which focal length you would need. I used this method before buying a lens as well.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    +1 for the 35/1.8 on the D7200. My 7200 seems to love this lens, but results were less favorable on the D7100. The 7100/35mm combo just probably needed some adjustment from Nikon, but now I don't have to worry about that anymore.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member

2m is definitely too close for 85mm unless you want just their head/shoulders. 10m would be fine. I find the 35mm a little too wide. 50mm is good and you can get the f/1.8 cheaply. I'd say sit on what you have. Experiment with the 18-140, and that will give you the experience to know what focal length is best.

Agree with @KnockKnock. Use the 18-140mm to determine which focal length you would need. I used this method before buying a lens as well.

Total agreement. For most uses the 18-140mm doesn't come off of my D7200. I can use that setup for determining what focal length I need in a prime for any of my cropped sensor bodies or full frame. For doing kiddie events I use it rather than a prime unless significant money is being paid. Zooming with my feet is dangerous and sometimes impossible around active kids not posing on a set.

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    2017uk said:

Hi,

I thought;

Keep the 85 1.8. It's sharp, will give you great background blur, and produce more 'wow' images than the zoom. The only problems are that it's a little long for indoors unless you have a large space, and the focus is a bit slower so not as good for fast action shots (e.g. kids running).

I would give the 18-105 a try and see if you feel it's long enough for you for travel. If you feel like you want more range then the 18-140 is similarly good, and refurb ones can be had for around $300 or less (in the US anyway). Nikon also makes an 18-300 but I wasn't as thrilled with that lens. In any case, I'd definitely recommend keeping a do-all zoom. You don't want to miss a shot because you were busy changing lenses.

If you want another lens for indoors/low light that you can use at closer ranges than the 85 1.8 I'd check out the 35 1.8 DX. It's wide enough that you can take 'portrait' shots of your kids across from you at a table making a mess of their dinner.

I'm also quite fond of the 50 1.8, but unfortunately I end up not using it much since it tends to be either not wide enough or not long enough. It's very inexpensive though, so it may be worth having it to use on occasion.

As others have said though, use the zoom for a while to get a feel for the different focal lengths. Eventually, you'll start telling yourself "I wish I had a lens that could do X", and then you'll know what to look for next.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    Thank you all for your time and comments.

I loved using D7200 with 18-105 on my holidays and very much liked the clicks. Way better than my point n shoot camera. Very happy with the results. I will keep this for a while and see which prime I am going to need for indoor!

Could anyone suggest how to treat raw images? and which free software to use?
    I used photoshop to treat few pics but found it time consuming! (possibly because I was using this for the first time!)
    BVS said:

2017uk said:

Hi,

I thought;

Keep the 85 1.8. It's sharp, will give you great background blur, and produce more 'wow' images than the zoom. The only problems are that it's a little long for indoors unless you have a large space, and the focus is a bit slower so not as good for fast action shots (e.g. kids running).

I would give the 18-105 a try and see if you feel it's long enough for you for travel. If you feel like you want more range then the 18-140 is similarly good, and refurb ones can be had for around $300 or less (in the US anyway). Nikon also makes an 18-300 but I wasn't as thrilled with that lens. In any case, I'd definitely recommend keeping a do-all zoom. You don't want to miss a shot because you were busy changing lenses.

If you want another lens for indoors/low light that you can use at closer ranges than the 85 1.8 I'd check out the 35 1.8 DX. It's wide enough that you can take 'portrait' shots of your kids across from you at a table making a mess of their dinner.

I'm also quite fond of the 50 1.8, but unfortunately I end up not using it much since it tends to be either not wide enough or not long enough. It's very inexpensive though, so it may be worth having it to use on occasion.

As others have said though, use the zoom for a while to get a feel for the different focal lengths. Eventually, you'll start telling yourself "I wish I had a lens that could do X", and then you'll know what to look for next.

Hi,

I am experiencing some issues with my Nikon 85mm f/1.8 lens;

1. Once I set the camera on continuous shoot mode, still it captures single photo only! I tried to set both options in continuous shoot mode (5fps & up to 99fps) but did not work either?

2. While shooting, there are instances when I keep pressing the shutter but the camera doesn’t take any picture!! Unless I move my position/camera and re-focus on object?

Any suggestions/ideas!!
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    what are your Autofocus settings?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I have 85mm f1.8 but I found it to be too long for the everyday usage. 85mm on DX is about 127mm on the FF. You may often find yourself backing away from your subject when you are using that lens. And also keep this in mind, 85mm is ideal for portraits so unless you are doing portrait there's not much you can shoot with 85mm. if I may recommend a lens I'd go with 50mm f1.8 I also own this lens and it is my go to the lens. and one can be had for the half the price of 85mm
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,

what are your Autofocus settings?

that was set on continuous mode AF-C !!
    nukuEX2 said:

I have 85mm f1.8 but I found it to be too long for the everyday usage. 85mm on DX is about 127mm on the FF. You may often find yourself backing away from your subject when you are using that lens. And also keep this in mind, 85mm is ideal for portraits so unless you are doing portrait there's not much you can shoot with 85mm. if I may recommend a lens I'd go with 50mm f1.8 I also own this lens and it is my go to the lens. and one can be had for the half the price of 85mm

I love this lens. The photos are amazing. Yes you are right, space limitations are there but I am happy as I use this outside as well.

Only issues as explained above;
    1. Once I set the camera on continuous shoot mode, still it captures single photo only! I tried to set both options in continuous shoot mode (5fps & up to 99fps) but did not work either?

2. While shooting, there are instances when I keep pressing the shutter but the camera doesn’t take any picture!! Unless I move my position/camera and re-focus on object?
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    2017uk said:

nukuEX2 said:

I love this lens. The photos are amazing. Yes you are right, space limitations are there but I am happy as I use this outside as well.

Does this happen with your other lenses too? If you take off the 85 and put on the 18-105 and don't change anything else does it still only take one picture at a time?

If it still only shoots one picture at a time try the following (note that I don't know what your experience level is so I'm just including everything I can think of):

1. Check that the Release-Mode Dial is set to "CH" or "CL". If it's on "S" or anything else the camera will only shoot one picture at a time (page 8 of the manual).

2. Make sure you're not using the popup flash. The camera will not do continuous shooting if the popup flash is in use because the flash cannot recycle fast enough. (page 148). If this is the problem you may want to look into a more powerful external flash unit like the SB-700, which will typically allow you to fire off a few shots in a row before it needs to recycle. Plus, you'll be able to bounce flash which is a huge benefit.

3. Make sure Custom Setting D3 - Max. Continuous Release is not set to "1". It should typically be set to "100" (page 280).

4. Make sure you're holding the shutter release button down. If you just press and release it'll only take one shot.

5. For action shots (i.e. anything moving) check that your Autofocus Mode is set to AF-C (page 83). This allows the camera to continually adjust focus as needed.

6. Check if Custom Setting A1 - AF-C Priority Selection is set to "Release" or "Focus" (page 276). If it's set to "Focus" the camera will only take a picture when it thinks it's in perfect focus. If it's set to "Release" the camera will take a picture whenever you press the shutter release, regardless of focus. The 85 1.8 is a slower focusing lens (designed more for portrait shooting than action), so it may have trouble keeping up with a moving subject, and if this setting is set to "Focus" it may never take the shot. Personally, I have this set to "Release". In low light situations (e.g. indoors) the camera will also focus quicker and more accurately if you stick to the center three columns of focus points which are all cross-type.

7. Make sure you're shooting through the viewfinder and not using Live View. Live View AF is slow and clunky.

Also, no Nikon cameras can shoot 99fps, so I don't think that setting is what you think it is. Or maybe that was a typo?

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    BVS said:

2017uk said:

nukuEX2 said:

Does this happen with your other lenses too? If you take off the 85 and put on the 18-105 and don't change anything else does it still only take one picture at a time?

If it still only shoots one picture at a time try the following (note that I don't know what your experience level is so I'm just including everything I can think of):

1. Check that the Release-Mode Dial is set to "CH" or "CL". If it's on "S" or anything else the camera will only shoot one picture at a time (page 8 of the manual).

Yes, sorted. Thanks

3. Make sure you're not using the popup flash. The camera will not do continuous shooting if the popup flash is in use because the flash cannot recycle fast enough. (page 148). If this is the problem you may want to look into a more powerful external flash unit like the SB-700, which will typically allow you to fire off a few shots in a row before it needs to recycle. Plus, you'll be able to bounce flash which is a huge benefit.

3. Make sure Custom Setting D3 - Max. Continuous Release is not set to "1". It should typically be set to "100" (page 280).

4. Make sure you're holding the shutter release button down. If you just press and release it'll only take one shot.

5. For action shots (i.e. anything moving) check that your Autofocus Mode is set to AF-C (page 83). This allows the camera to continually adjust focus as needed.

Thanks

8. Check if Custom Setting A1 - AF-C Priority Selection is set to "Release" or "Focus" (page 276). If it's set to "Focus" the camera will only take a picture when it thinks it's in perfect focus. If it's set to "Release" the camera will take a picture whenever you press the shutter release, regardless of focus. The 85 1.8 is a slower focusing lens (designed more for portrait shooting than action), so it may have trouble keeping up with a moving subject, and if this setting is set to "Focus" it may never take the shot. Personally, I have this set to "Release". In low light situations (e.g. indoors) the camera will also focus quicker and more accurately if you stick to the center three columns of focus points which are all cross-type.

7. Make sure you're shooting through the viewfinder and not using Live View. Live View AF is slow and clunky.

Also, no Nikon cameras can shoot 99fps, so I don't think that setting is what you think it is. Or maybe that was a typo?

I read wrong. I meant d3 Max Continuous Release in custom settings which read 1-99!!