Help me with gear pick.

AlakeyAlakey Posts: 5Member
edited May 2018 in General Discussions
Hello everyone, I do not know is it the right place I'm writing this post if no - excuse me - I'll write in the right section.
In my profile, I wrote a short post about I gave my girlfriend Nikon. Now a little more - I gave her only a camera. No lenses, no flash module. I do not understand in cameras at all and the choice for D 750 fell due to the advice of a friend.

The girl has long dreamed about starting photography. We are cosplaying with her. We have a lot of familiar cosplayers from other cities and even countries. Most cosplayers make a costume not only to perform at the festival but also to make a photo session of this character. That's exactly what Valery wants to do. We thought with her that we should be provided with equipment.
1) The usual lens for a photo (I do not know what they are called, but I mean the lens for photographing a person in full growth somewhere in nature, or in a dilapidated building for entourage)
2) Light - as theyre not always enough appropriate light to shoot, but such unusual costumes as for example suits from a witcher or other games require photos in the forest in the village, in the open air.
3) Modular flash - for the same reason for interacting with light.
4) Portrait lens. Who of the cosplayers will not want a portrait photo in as a new character?)
5) Tripod for the camera.
6) Macro lens (this is already for me personally, I always wanted to try to photograph the insects)
6) If something else may be needed for a beginner photographer - please tell.
UPD 7) Bought the charger and AA accumulators as tired buying new batteries. https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/rechargeable-battery-chargers
I ask your advice in choosing lenses and everything from the list above. I appeal to you, since I tried to figure it out myself, looked at a few reviews and lessons, but I think you understand how difficult it is for a person who has never dealt with "that side of the lens" to figure things out.

As a bonus, I attach a few of my own and her photos from festivals)
Cheers to all, have a good day!

Post edited by Alakey on

Comments

• AlakeyAlakey Posts: 5Member
    I`ve looked through these macro lenses for myself, but I`have understand nothing about their differences. I`ll be glad if smb made a list of gear I need.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited October 2017
    If I had a D750 and I was shooting what you shoot, I would have a 24-70 2.8E, 50 1.4 G (or a 58 if you have money to spend) for portraits, an SB-910 (powerful and it bounces) with a synch cable to get it off camera, and a 105 2.8 Macro for your insects (this is the minimum distance for insects but the 200 f/4 macro is the ultimate).

I have everything I describe above except the 105 macro. They are excellent lenses. And everything is "about the right budget for a D750).

Do you want to spend more money or less money than I described? That is the piece of information that will best guide further advice I feel.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on

If I had a D750 and I was shooting what you shoot, I would have a 24-70 2.8E, 50 1.4 G (or a 58 if you have money to spend) for portraits, an SB-910 (powerful and it bounces) with a synch cable to get it off camera, and a 105 2.8 Macro for your insects (this is the minimum distance for insects but the 200 f/4 macro is the ultimate).

I have everything I describe above except the 105 macro. They are excellent lenses. And everything is "about the right budget for a D750).

Do you want to spend more money or less money than I described? That is the piece of information that will best guide further advice I feel.

I just got hurriedly called to work, do you mind if I later, when I return, calmly look at the prices of the equipment you described and say am I ready for such cost? I'm very grateful for your early reply, and I apologize for coming to escape.
    No worries, take your time.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, it would be helpful to know your budget. Recommendations could range from hundreds of dollars to many thousands of dollars.

D750 is a good camera though, so congrats on that!
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    As on occasions you are standing well back the 24-120 f4. if you are on a tight budget the 24-85mm 3.5/4.5. for flash dont neglect Yngnuo say a yn 565. Buy grey on ebay to save even more
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Budget again...the Sigma 24-105mm f4 is a great deal as well. And highly rated.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    A 24-70 is a good idea, along with a 105mm macro and /or a 85mm F1.4 for tighter headshots. The macro can pull double duty for headshots if the budget is tight. I have used that combo of gear in the past and it worked very well.

The D750 isn't going to require top of the line current generation glass to get great results, so you could get the older non-VR 24-70 or. Third party Sigma or Tamron if you want stabilization.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

A 24-70 is a good idea, along with a 105mm macro and /or a 85mm F1.4 for tighter headshots. The macro can pull double duty for headshots if the budget is tight. I have used that combo of gear in the past and it worked very well.

The D750 isn't going to require top of the line current generation glass to get great results, so you could get the older non-VR 24-70 or. Third party Sigma or Tamron if you want stabilization.

The only "but" is that someday he will upgrade and that will likely to be 46 megapixels or more. Mediocre glass that "passed" on a D750 will look mediocre on that. Even if someday is 10 years later.....

Something to consider.
    The last gen 24-70mm f2.8 is hardly mediocre. Other than extreme corners, which aren't super important, the G and E the are optical very, very close.
    Are you talking about the immediately previous generation to the 24-70 2.8E PB_PM?
    edited November 2017
    There are only two 24-70mm F2.8 Nikkors, G and E. Before that the D model was 28-70, which I wouldn't use on a modern high resolution body. Every review I've read shows they are almost identical, except in the corners at 24-35mm. Hardly worth the extra $1000 unless you must have VR.

I used to own the G, got it back when they were $1400 Cdn, and used it on a D800 great combo. Foolishly sold it. Well you can get referbs from Nikon for $1400. :)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    In 10 years (probably more like 5 or less) everything will be mirrorless and if Nikon uses a new mount (which seems highly likely) the lenses mentioned above could have limited use. Waiting until Nikon announces their mirrorless camera and their f mount lens strategy before investing in any lens might be the prudent decision. If the decision is to buy now, as the original post states for a beginner, the 24-70mm 2.8 G, 105mm macro and a Sigma 85mm Art series would be a lot of gear and capable of producing great images and would give the beginner time to develop their skills.
    edited November 2017
    Do you want a bag of lenses and keep changing lens + carry all the weight or just buy one zoom lens ? the one lens is the 28-300 or 24 -120 and macro is no problem if you get some extension tubes ( must have the electrical connections ) Dont forget with any lens you must set the fine focus adjust for best results.If you are going to shoot in JPEG have a look at the picture control in the menu and select sharpness +9 as all nikons come out the factory set soft ( about +3)
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Knowing the budget would be really helpful in narrowing down recommendations. I would say if you are looking for less lenses start with a 24-70 and see what you are missing from there. If you don't mind carrying a few lenses, look at the 35 1.8 and 85 1.8 and maybe a zoom. The best recommendation I would make is rent or borrow the lenses that you think you want to get and try them out. The nice thing with having a Nikon is the amount of lenses available to rent.

For lighting, look at a YongNuo YN-568EX. You might find that the D750 with a fast lens will get what you are looking for without a speedlight.
    edited November 2017
    But dont be silly ...I met a wedding photographer .female about 22 at a wedding saturday . well silly girl she had a canon 5d (thats FX) which was fitted with a sigma 10-20mm which she complained "blacked out at the edges " when she zoomed out !!!!! Yes the DX version !!!
    Why did she buy it ?? It was cheaper !!!
    Thank god I was doing the photos .................No DX mode on Canon.......
    edited November 2017
    Impossible for it to be a full frame body then, because Canon crop lenses (EF-S) typically will not mount on their full frame bodies. Must have been an early pre full frame body.

Correction, some of the wide angel lenses will mount. Really stupid.
    Post edited by PB_PM on

But dont be silly ...I met a wedding photographer .female about 22 at a wedding saturday . well silly girl she had a canon 5d (thats FX) which was fitted with a sigma 10-20mm which she complained "blacked out at the edges " when she zoomed out !!!!! Yes the DX version !!!
    Why did she buy it ?? It was cheaper !!!
    Thank god I was doing the photos .................No DX mode on Canon.......

A 5d, as in a Mark 1? She was barely a teenager when that came out. I doubt that she paid much for any of her kit. I suspect that the bride's mom got what she paid for.
    edited November 2017
    Well it certainly said 5D and the lens was sigma 10-20 and she complained it vignetted..looking for her picture now.
    PS yes its a 5D mk 2 lens has no markings around element made in japan
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I've definitely seen some odd choices with lenses and body combinations and it certainly didn't make sense in the early days of FX bodies because you were working with 12 mp, which meant you got a 6 mp or so image if you cropped it. Itwouldn't be any better than your run of the mill D40 which was 1/10 the price of a new D3.

However, it makes more sense now with the D850 because if you do decide to use DX crop, you end up with a 23 mp or so photo which is more than usable.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited November 2017
    Reminds me of the guy I saw years ago with a D3X that had a 18-200mm VR on it.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I am going to slap my 28-200 on my D850 and see if my ability to think declines.

I will need to find a temporary doorstop while I do that.
    It's a little light weight for a door stop, maybe a paper weight.