Veteran's Day Photo Project

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited November 2017 in Fun & Weird
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted, but I came across this video on Youtube. This is a video about Stacy Pearsall, and she is a retired Air Force combat photographer photographing other veterans for a project. I just wish the video linked up to a site with her photos and the stories behind them.

I also found a Wikipedia article on her as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacy_Pearsall

I thought it was fitting to post this video anyway, as it's the eve of Veteran's Day. My cousin's husband is a former Marine too, and so this hits home as well.

And lastly, I know a least a few members on NRF are former or current service members and I'd like to extend my thanks to them as well.

I think my former high school English teacher said it best- you can disagree with the direction the military is working towards, but you should always support the troops because they're all volunteers and doing it for their country.

Edit-
B and H also has a video on her work as well.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Yes, someone willing to risk the ultimate sacrifice deserves respect.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Here's WWII P-51 triple ace Clarence "Bud" Anderson being interviewed by David Hartman at AirVenture 2015.
    David Hartman interviews Bud Anderson
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I've actually had the honor of meeting a WWII Navy veteran at a local veteran's hospital. WWII actually holds a great deal of significance to me because I'm Chinese and my family is from Hong Kong and for a brief period it was under Japanese occupation.

He told me he was a radio operator in the Atlantic front, but still, it was wonderful to hear his story. He told me he joined the war effort and lied to the recruiter, I think he was around 16 or 17. To think that they and many others had joined the war barely out of high school is unfathomable to me, and I know I certainly wouldn't know what to do with myself.

There are fewer and fewer WWII veterans around, and I was glad just to have met one. They truly are the greatest generation and I feel like many people today would benefit from having the work ethic and mentality of people who lived and fought in the war.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited November 2017
    Glad you had the opportunity. My father passed a couple of years ago. He was in the Army unit that followed the Marine invasions across the Pacific. He was generally reluctant to discuss the experience, but in his later years opened up a bit. I deeply regret not having fired up a digital recorder and done an oral history with him.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on