Tamron 100-400

So I've been looking at a wildlife lens to replace the Nikon 70-300. I was looking at the Sigma 100-400 until I saw a couple of reviews of the Tamron. Dustin Abbott was one, yes, he's a Canon (Dark Side) shooter but does excellent real world reviews. $799. with a free Tap In Console! And it's a very sharp lens according to reviews. Just wondering when Tamron will release it.

Jeff

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I use a 150-600 G2 for my long wildlife lens. It is a good sharp lens. I need to get the tap in console and tweak it to get it even sharper. The sigma sport 150-600 is a sharp lens too. They are over the $799 price though but have more reach.

I am saving for a sigma 120-300 for my long night time sports and events lens. It will double as a wildlife lens. It has good reviews and I like the constant f2.8 but not so much the price.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2017
    Angry photographer has a review of the Tamron 100-400 up at present with comparisons to other lenses..of course he does not like Sigma
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Thanks guys! I just bought a Sigma 24-105 which arrives Wednesday. I received a B & H gift card for Xmas from a family member. It will compliment my Sigma 17-50mm and possibly the 100-400. IF I decide to keep it. Yes I'm overlapping the 17-50 but sometimes I wish I had just a little more when I'm in the Grand Canyon or just out and about. We shall see. Most of the wildlife in AZ is close so I don't need a mega zoom just yet. I'll look up the "angry photographer" review.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    My zoom kit has some overlap all the way through. Although it may not be necessary, sometimes you can zoom a little with your feet, it sure is nice to avoid changing lenses if you are in a situation on the border of the zoom range. I like my 17-50.
    retread said:

My zoom kit has some overlap all the way through. Although it may not be necessary, sometimes you can zoom a little with your feet, it sure is nice to avoid changing lenses if you are in a situation on the border of the zoom range. I like my 17-50.

The 24-105 arrives today or tomorrow. I'm trying the Sigma lens out this weekend. The weekend after I'm taking it to a wildlife sanctuary outside of Kingman, AZ, Keepers Of The Wild. We shall see if it fits my needs. If not, then I'll try the Tamron 100-400.

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @Hiker - did you make a decision about the 70-300? I bit on a 70-200 f4 about 10 days ago and promptly came down with the flu. Before i retreated to the sick cave I had a chance to do a couple of q&d tests against the 70-300 (both at 200mm f 4.5). The 200 f4 wins pretty much hands down. Of course, it loses 100mm but at some point the 200-500 will gain that back and then some.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Never, ever, have I for one second regretted buying the 70-200 f4.
    Always learning.

@Hiker - did you make a decision about the 70-300? I bit on a 70-200 f4 about 10 days ago and promptly came down with the flu. Before i retreated to the sick cave I had a chance to do a couple of q&d tests against the 70-300 (both at 200mm f 4.5). The 200 f4 wins pretty much hands down. Of course, it loses 100mm but at some point the 200-500 will gain that back and then some.

I'm waiting on the 70-200 f4. At $1,400 and no sale this Xmas, I decided to get the Sigma 24-105 f4, then maybe, hopefully, the Tamron 100-400. I've not decided if I'm going to sell my 70-300 yet. There is a Nikon 70-200 f4 on sale on Nikonians for $825. but I'm don't want to bite on that. Besides the better half wants me to buy new!! I tested the 24-105 last night in the house. Not the perfect setup but man so far? This is one sharp lens!!
    C S...I spent my Xmas day on the couch sick as well..missed the family and friends. Someone at work had the stomach flu and I didn't know it. Not a fun Xmas..
    yuk. I came down with one of the strains of the flu - flu that didn't make it into the flu shot cocktail so I know whereof you speak. Started feeling bad on the 16th and am just now getting close to 90%.

I took tami flu and it worked to the extent that it animated what would have been a corpse just enough that I could take care of most of my end of term (univ prof) chores.

Hope you're over it or soon will be. I like the 70-200. I almost never shoot below f4 so it's a good fit speed wise. The bug and the weather have conspired to keep me inside so I have only tested it on resolution charts, but it looks quite a bit better than my 70-300 on those (except between 200 and 300). Hopefully, I'll have a chance to get outside with it soon. take care
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2017
    @Capt_Spaulding "(except between 200 and 300)"

I have the TC17 on mine sometimes .. Its ok.. ;-)

I am considering the new TAMRON 100-400 though.. i understand that it works with the new Tamron TCs too..

70-200 + TC17 + crop ..
    Welcome Swallow resting under the Sydney Harbour bridge.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@Capt_Spaulding "(except between 200 and 300)"

I have the TC17 on mine sometimes .. Its ok.. ;-)

I am considering the new TAMRON 100-400 though.. i understand that it works with the new Tamron TCs too..

70-200 + TC17 + crop ..
    Welcome Swallow resting under the Sydney Harbour bridge.

Beautiful shot!!! There are moments where I for sure need more than 300mm and the Nikon 70-300 falls short on sharpness. I've watched Dustin Abbots reviews on Youtube about the Tamron 100-400 and it's all positive for the most part. I was considering the Sigma 100-400 but the Tamron tracks better according to Dustin who tested both. And the Tamron is weather sealed.

Ordered the Tamron 100-400 yesterday from B & H. Hoping it gets here for me to use on Saturday when I go to a wildlife sanctuary outside of Kingman, AZ. Keepers Of The Wild. But knowing UPS, and knowing full well I'm missing a day due to the holiday, I'm not holding my breath as to it being here before Saturday.
    edited January 2018
    Thanks guys.. was pleased with shot and the 70-200 and the TC17 though I can see the IQ degradation.. Thats why I am considering the 100-400 Tamron... that, and the 67mm filter that i seem to be standardizing on LOL...
    Nikkor 70-200 , tamron 100-400, tamron 85 1.8, Nikkor 18-140mm, and probably soon to get 18-300mm :-) all have 67mm filter size !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Thanks guys.. was pleased with shot and the 70-200 and the TC17 though I can see the IQ degradation.. Thats why I am considering the 100-400 Tamron... that, and the 67mm filter that i seem to be standardizing on LOL...
    Nikkor 70-200 , tamron 100-400, tamron 85 1.8, Nikkor 18-140mm, and probably soon to get 18-300mm :-) all have 67mm filter size !

My better half picking up the Tamron 100-400 from our local UPS facility this am. Taking it for a test drive tomorrow at the sanctuary. The challenge is the wire fencing so we shall see how the lens reacts. Will be shooting in Shutter and Aperture and will try the auto focus as well as manual focus. From what Dustin Abbott said this lens is sharp wide open. Hoping to get some great shots of the 22 Tigers at this place!!!!!
    edited January 2018
    Looking forward to your images and mini review! i love tigers.

Looking forward to your images and mini review! i love tigers.

I was thinking that the Tamron was "close" in size to the Nikon 70-300...probably why I don't win the lotto!! It's VERY large compared to the Nikon!! But seems to sit well on the D7200. Just got a Peak Design Slide Strap and will see how that works as well today. I will try and post pics from the Tamron. And, yeah, love Tigers also. This place was featured on a PBS series about Rte. 66 with Billy Connely.
    So I took the lens out to Keepers Of The Wild wildlife sanctuary yesterday. The biggest challenge was shooting through the chain linked fence, a challenge that was not easily overcome. Many of my shots have the fence in the way even though my focus point was in between. Most times it wanted to focus on the fence if the animal moved slightly. But with that aside, this is one sharp lens! I shot at 1/640th second and the shots that are nice (despite that darned fence!) are really good and sharp. I was able to shoot a Bonnet Macaque that positioned itself between a gap in the gate away from the fence. I focused on his eye and shot several shots like this. Very impressed with the sharpness. And I took some long shots of the wolves that were above the fence line (thankfully) and was shooting at 3-400mm. On the awesome side, I came within a second of being sprayed by a male Tiger!!!!!!!
    LOL

You may be able to trick the camera's af into ignoring shifts in subject position. You could use bbf if you don't already. Alternatively, I recall reading in Steve Perry's Nikon AF book you can set the lag time during which the camera persists with its initial focus decision. I don't have the file handy, but I'll take a look later and get back to you.

Sprayed by a male tiger. Sounds like a good thing to "almost" do. LOL
    edited January 2018
    @Hiker - the setting is called "focus tracking with lock on" and is in the "a" section of the custom settings menu. Can't say with certainty if it will help you. I usually keep mine set to the "short" end (usually '2') because with more or less stationary targets I set the focus with bbf and reengage af if the target moves, but only long enough to reacquire. If the targets are fast moving (birds, aircraft, race cars/motorcycles) I keep the af engaged and assume that things like chain link fences and small trees will fly by so fast the system will ignore them. It seems to work most of the time. good luck
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    Yeah, didn't think of the focus tracking setting. Most of the big cats were doing what all cats big or small did best, sleep! But all in all the Tamron is a keeper for wildlife. The shots I did get through the fence were sharp, WAY sharper than the Nikon 70-300 ever was. Can't wait to try it out in the prairie in my area with Hawks and Pronghorn.
    Yup I think this lens is creeping to the top of the "list" ..

If I can ask, what tips the scales away from the 200-500 Nikkor?