I killed my Tamron 24-70 f2.8

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Yea, It will be a long time before I buy another Tamron lens. Sigma doesn't have this policy.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Is this policy followed in all markets, or just the US? IOW are there "grey market" products in Europe or Asia?
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I think it is pretty much universal. Sigma also has this policy I believe.

Have you tried http://www.unitedcamera.com/ their website says they repair all Tamron lenses. Good luck.

I had them service some film cameras a long time ago and all was well. A Nikon rep. suggested them to me for servicing some old Nikkor lenses recently.
    edited October 2017
    No, Sigma will repair a genuine Sigma lens even if it is gray market. However it will not be covered by any warrantee. The owner will have to pay the full amount for the repair.

"Gray Market products may contain a limited warranty from the seller, but they are NOT covered by a Sigma Corporation of America warranty and additional charges may apply for repair of those products.

As of January 1, 2017, any product that is not imported by the Sigma Corporation of America or purchased from an unauthorized Sigma USA Dealer will not be serviced under warranty regardless of the service required. The Sigma Corporation of America Service department will service these products for a minimum $250 charge in addition to the required parts and labor charges at the owner's expense. "

Here's some more handy info on the hows and whys of Gray Market lenses as Sigma sees it.
    https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/important-information-regarding-gray-market-sigma-products/
    Post edited by Searcy on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Searcy said:

No, Sigma will repair a genuine Sigma lens even if it is gray market. However it will not be covered by any warrantee. The owner will have to pay the full amount for the repair.

"Gray Market products may contain a limited warranty from the seller, but they are NOT covered by a Sigma Corporation of America warranty and additional charges may apply for repair of those products.

As of January 1, 2017, any product that is not imported by the Sigma Corporation of America or purchased from an unauthorized Sigma USA Dealer will not be serviced under warranty regardless of the service required. The Sigma Corporation of America Service department will service these products for a minimum $250 charge in addition to the required parts and labor charges at the owner's expense. "

Here's some more handy info on the hows and whys of Gray Market lenses as Sigma sees it.
    https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/important-information-regarding-gray-market-sigma-products/

Wow!! If it is a hundred dollars for parts and labour, they charge you $350.
    edited October 2017

True. When I sent my lens to Tamron I was prepared to spend $400 or so to get it fixed. I love the lens and to buy a new one would cost twice that much. But they will not look at it for any amount of money. That's important to know when you buy as much used gear as I do.
    Post edited by Searcy on
    edited December 2017
    I thought I should update this post just to put a period at the end of this saga. My final Hail Mary was to contact Peach Tree lens repair in Georgia to see if they would help me out.

In short, they won't. They simply do not work on Tamron lenses, period.

This will make me think twice before ever buying another Tamron lens.

So after much consideration I decided to buy a used Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR Lens from Adorama. It should be here next week.

I was thinking about using that money to getting a new d850 but I have decided that I need the lens more and I'm interested in seeing if Nikon comes out with a mirrorless body soon.

I'll get a new camara in a year or so and until then I'll just save money and use my d7200.
    Post edited by Searcy on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2017
    I guess if you were insured and it was below your excess the company would have to find a repairer or replace it ...+
    Contact the angry photographer perhaps he will mend it ..he likes tamron
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • BamBamBambrickBamBamBambrick Posts: 13Member

Isn't dimn lighting what ISO 25,000 is for?

And for ugly women.
    Problem solved.

I'll hang on to the Tamron till I figure out what to do with it.

Untitled
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sell the Tamron for parts, because unless you know which country it was imported from it’s basically a paper weight.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That's good advice @Searcy.
    Always learning.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    The argument for for an importer to not pay for warranty coverage for merchandise that they did not import, is that they shouldn’t be required to fund repairs on merchandise on which they never had a chance to make a profit.....Fair enough!

But then to also deny CUSTOMER PAID service (which really are "sales" that actually give importers a chance to profit) on such merchandise totally negates the original argument for the no-warranty policy.

For an international manufacturer trying to build a reputation of “quality” products, to allow their national exclusive franchisees, their AGENTS, to totally deny even customer paid support, is a disreputable sleazy business practice. Obviously, manufacturers who are complicit in their agents’ manipulations of local markets, show little regard for their ultimate consumers — you and me.

Don’t patronize these products!
    I buy most of my stuff from Katchashop via Ireland ..I just emailed to ask if it breaks down after the 12 month warrantee will they mend it at my expense?
    Will let you know if I get a reply ..
    edited January 2018
    Instant reply ...do not offer extended warrantee after 12 months....so I suppose its an insurance claim and the excess is your repair bill. I did buy one D810 for £1400 from Katchashop so I already saved about £1000. Another bought more recently for £1600 so that's enough of a saving to buy another IF and that's a big IF it goes wrong.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    I just contacted H .Lehmann ltd in Soke on Tent and they are happy to repair my Grey D810 ....well they would be if it was faulty ...www.hlehmann.co.uk Note the different spelling in the e mail address....Grey Products rule.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Gotta distinguish between gray products that merely don't have local warranty coverage with gray products whose importers try restrain trade by attempting to block even customer paid repairs.
    Yes, It seems Nikon and Sigma will repair a "gray market" product if the owner is willing to pay for the repair. Tamron will not work on any gray market lenses at all. Even if the buyer is willing to pay for the repair. I was will to pay for the repair and mailed my 24-70 f2.8 in to Tamron for service. They mailed it back saying the would not repair the lens because it is gray market.

I may do as suggested and sell the lens on eBay or something to someone who knows how to fix it. The issue is not very noticeable above f12 or so. But at f2.8 it impossible to get a clear shot.
    edited January 2018
    How can an importer stop you getting service at a local repairer as I have just illustrated ? or are you saying Nikon are bad because they wont service even there own products? That cannot be right as Nikon don't import grey products ....confused.
    Fixation Service Support in London have just replied that they will fix Grey 810 so you just need to find a Tamron agent who will fix it ....
    I haven't said anything about Nikon's repair service. I'm sorry if Ive given the impression that I was talking about anyone other than Tamron. I'm talking about Tamron's repair service. Tamron will not fix the lens. This is something I find frustrating as I emailed Tamron with the SN and all other information I had and they cheerfully replied "Oh yes! We can fix your lens. Here's the address to send it too." So after spending $25 to insure it and ship it to New York it was about aggravating to get it back a few weeks later with a note saying they weren't going to service it and the reason was "Gray Market Lens".

The repair shops I talked too said they service everything but Tamron.

I'm going to randomly email 5 or 6 more big shops and see what they say.

If anyone knows a shop in the US that will work on gray market Tamrons lenses I'm all ears. It was a great lens before I bounced it off the floor.
    edited January 2018
    Well here in the UK Nikon and Sigma are NOT servicing grey products but independent repair shops are ...could be a problems getting Tamron spares or service tools in the US.
    Leiman will service Tamron lenses in the UK but import duty rather than shipping would be a problem. No duty to pay if you send it to an Australian repairer..do a google search
    Have you tried United Camera repair in Chicago. Their web site says they service all Tamron lenses.
    http://www.unitedcamera.com/lens-repair/
  • kennikon55kennikon55 Posts: 1Member
    retread said:

Have you tried United Camera repair in Chicago. Their web site says they service all Tamron lenses.
    http://www.unitedcamera.com/lens-repair/

Hate to burst the bubble, this from United Camera;

ALL Tamron Lenses
    We apologize, we no longer service ANY Tamron lenses. The parts are extremely limited or no longer available.
    Well it was a good idea while it lasted. I used them to tune up a couple film bodies and a Nikkor lens years ago.