Opinions on Nikon Viewnx-i?

mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
I’m wondering what the opinions are on this software, as a (free) tool for processing NEF files and doing basic adjustments? I’ve started using it and am generally pleased with what it can do but I don’t really know how it compares with what else is out there.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Lightroom is the standard really and getting better. As you have to subscribe to CC though (most of which you will not use as a beginner), you have to consider less capable solutions. Lightroom is a DMS (digital management solution) and that side of it takes a bit of learning at the beginning, but soon becomes easy.

For only basic adjustments Nikon software is good, but you will soon want to do more.

Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

Lightroom is the standard really and getting better. As you have to subscribe to CC though (most of which you will not use as a beginner), you have to consider less capable solutions. Lightroom is a DMS (digital management solution) and that side of it takes a bit of learning at the beginning, but soon becomes easy.

For only basic adjustments Nikon software is good, but you will soon want to do more.

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything in between Lightroom and the Nikon software I should look at? Preferably something that doesn't cost $10 a month forever?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I bought Affinity at the Photoshow last weekend and have looked at it today. It is a stand-alone editor which is very similar to Photo-shop. Only £25 at the show, normally £50. Includes updates but not upgrades.
    Always learning.
  • OttoVonSchriekOttoVonSchriek Posts: 4Member
    I have been using Lightroom for years and have never liked the DMS. Like many hobbyists I don't intend to subscribe to CC and so have been eying, and trying alternatives. I notice that while many do have DMS capabilities they don't force it on you!

DxO and Affinity are my favorite alternatives so far. I've never had Adobe PS and do my photoshopping with Corel. This works fine as a RAW processor as well, but this is more the case where you are dealing with few photos and complex edits, such as landscapes or studio.

If you photograph an event with 100's of photos you do need something like Lightroom or DxO (BTW, Corel also does something similar but I don't know it).
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    The Nikon software is fine for correcting individual photos. For free software it does a great job. Lightroom does two things for me, it manages my photo collection and allows me to make quick corrections. If you are interested in management of your photos then Lightroom is the standard tool used by the industry. You can still buy the standalone version on Amazon but it's the last version which is pointless to learn if you don't want to move to CC. Other options include After shot (it's based on Bibble which I really liked), Photoshop Elements (a really stripped down version of LR), and Capture One which is a competitor to LR.

If you are new to photo management software please understand that there is a learning curve to using them effectively. It took me a little while to get up to speed with Lightroom but it was great once I figured it out.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Thanks all. Since I'm an amateur who is generally OK with correcting photos individually I think I'll just stick with the Nikon software for now.