Photography Bucket List

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
Ever have that photo you've always wanted to take? Ever have that nagging feeling of that photo you wanted to set up in a far away country? Share here!

I'm talking about this now because in very short notice, I'll be traveling to Japan and Hong Kong for about a week in each area. I'll be able to make it there in time for the cherry blossoms hopefully (might be a bit early), but here's hoping the crowds aren't too crazy. Always loved taking photos of cherry blossoms, but I'll be able to do it in Japan, and in Kyoto no less. Unfortunately, because of my new job I only can take 2 weeks off max at a time, which really stinks. That being said, it will truly be an adventure because I'll have to figure out how to travel between cities on my own. I'm not taking a tour.

351-8EditCherry

So what's on your photography bucket list?

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    Heading to D.C. to participate in the gun control rally which is expected to be peak cherry blossom time.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • BamBamBambrickBamBamBambrick Posts: 13Member
    A bucket list implies it's a shot you've seen that someone else has already taken. Maybe you want to do better or think you can do better but in my opinion the world is already saturated with photos of the Eiffel tower at night, all of the repetitive garbage coming out of Iceland... time for something new and different. F' previsualization.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited March 2018
    Bucket list is long and extensive. Unlikely to ever be completed.

Enjoy catching my younger relatives at their various special life events; and they just keep on growing.

Was in DC last year for a friend's wedding at cherry blossom time; was a bit earlier than normal. A long walk around the Tidal Basin, but well worth it. Good luck dpidude.

Was in Europe recently and hardly scratched the surface of the possibilities. Would do the same itinerary again in a heartbeat, though spring or fall would be preferred.

Four seasons in Yellowstone would have to rank up there somewhere.

NSXTypeR - just saw this -
    https://petapixel.com/2018/03/09/shoot-cherry-blossoms-japan-practical-photo-guide/
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Japan cherry blossoms are in my bucket list also. Last summer I had an opportunity to drive through Tetons NP, Yellowstone and Glacier. Snake River Overlook has been at the top of my bucket list and I got the following:
    Grand Tetons

For what it's worth, I don't really think bucket list items like Snake River Overlook (Ansel Adams) should be reproduced. For me the challenge is to interpret the scene in my own way.

This summer I'm planning on getting some images from Rocky Mountain NP and Devils Tower.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Gorgeous image sport. On my list are the canyon parks in the west - possibly combined with some night time mountain/astro photos.

Headed to West Texas next week, perhaps the McDonald Observatory area. May try to work on technique on that trip. The moon should be close to new so, barring clouds, it could offer opportunities.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member

A bucket list implies it's a shot you've seen that someone else has already taken. Maybe you want to do better or think you can do better but in my opinion the world is already saturated with photos of the Eiffel tower at night, all of the repetitive garbage coming out of Iceland... time for something new and different. F' previsualization.

It could also, and most probably does, mean something entirely different, for example, it might mean you want to go to a particular place or do something specific and have a photograph to memorialize the event. For example for the longest time I've wanted to see an exotic lion fish and a colorful mandarin fish in the wild. Finally, just a few weeks ago, I managed to see and photograph both of them. I can now cross them off my photo bucket list. Yes, there are a lot of pictures of both those fish in books, most of which are probably a lot better than mine, but there's a BIG difference between passively looking at photos of them in a book and having the thrill of seeing them alive in the water.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    @sport, I’m going to Glacier National Park in August for the first time. When you go to RMNP hike Loch Vale, it was stunning.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

Duly noted- my definition of "bucket list" was exactly the definition BabaGanoush's interpretation- photos you'd like to take in the future.
    dissent said:

Bucket list is long and extensive. Unlikely to ever be completed.

Enjoy catching my younger relatives at their various special life events; and they just keep on growing.

Was in DC last year for a friend's wedding at cherry blossom time; was a bit earlier than normal. A long walk around the Tidal Basin, but well worth it. Good luck dpidude.

Was in Europe recently and hardly scratched the surface of the possibilities. Would do the same itinerary again in a heartbeat, though spring or fall would be preferred.

Four seasons in Yellowstone would have to rank up there somewhere.

NSXTypeR - just saw this -
    https://petapixel.com/2018/03/09/shoot-cherry-blossoms-japan-practical-photo-guide/

Your link is much appreciated! I'll be going through Kyoto, Tokyo and Osaka.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I will knock off three items from my bucket list in the fall: Malta, Sicily and the Greek Islands.

When Nikon upgrades the 200mm f/2.0, I will book a trip with Thom to Botswana.

Then the Galapagos. Then Patagonia. Then India. And I mustn't forget my long bucket list of scantily clad girls.
    You have the order right. Get the first three out of the way while you still have money.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member

I will knock off three items from my bucket list in the fall: Malta, Sicily and the Greek Islands.

Then the Galapagos. Then Patagonia. Then India. And I mustn't forget my long bucket list of scantily clad girls.

Unlike Capt_Spaulding, I say do not neglect the last one while you still have the desire and the energy. You could run out of both before you run out of money.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Unlike Capt_Spaulding, I say do not neglect the last one while you still have the desire and the energy. You could run out of both before you run out of money.
    Ha ha.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just got back from Japan/HK and organizing my photos. It's been a struggle haha, but I'll try to share my photos with you guys over the next few weeks.

Kyoto Cherry Blossoms at Night
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member

A friend of mine does photo tours around the world. Botswana is one of his favorites. He is now in Patagonia shooting the South American Puma. This is part 2 of a 2 part trip there. In the first 3 days they saw 7 Pumas. Two moms with kittens as well. I was in the Galapagos 2 years ago. Although we stayed on one island due to motion issues on boats, there was wildlife everywhere. And VERY close!

• HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Hiker said:

I was in the Galapagos 2 years ago. Although we stayed on one island due to motion issues on boats, there was wildlife everywhere. And VERY close!

On a Galapagos island, my wife and I walked 1/2 an arms-length [no exaggeration] next to an eagle perched on a rock. This wild bird of prey totally ignored us — that much more astounding than all the close encounters with the so dog-like sea lions.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Now that I've been into DSLR photography for a little over 3 years and have quite a bit more knowledge about photography, I would do my South American trip all over again. Santiago, Chile, Easter Island (by far the best part of the trip), Cusco, Peru, Machu Picchu, Galapagos, and Quito, Ecuador. BUT, for sure, I would spend at least a week in Easter Island next time. And I would add Patagonia to the list as well. Something we had to leave out due to time restraints.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited April 2018
    The next image on my bucket list is a picture of my grandson with the first marlin he catches. Hopefully it will be in the Galapagos this Christmas.
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Those kinds of pictures are the important ones Bob. Make sure you are in it too.
    Always learning.
    They are. Focus can be off. Dynamic range does not matter. Skin tone may be too yellow. Who cares if it captures the moment? Now, if the stupid fish will just cooperate. :-)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited April 2018
    Family pictures are the biggest reason why I love a built in flash. When the lighting is crap, the kids keep moving, and moving in opposite directions — no worries, pop up the flash. I think I will hang onto that D7200 forever.
    Post edited by HankB on
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    I have been to some of the most beautiful places in the world. Almost all of them without my wife and daughter. Talking to them about those places and showing them photos isn't the same as having been there and leaves me with a empty feeling. I want them to see these places and experience them in person. My bucket list is to take them with me to 10 or 15 places in the United States, Ireland, Jordan, Germany and Itay. My daughter has developed a interest in photography and I want her to have that same excitement I experience when I see something incredible that I want to photograph. I can't think of anything better.
    Excellent plan vtc.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Taking grandkids with me is more fun than going alone. I love when they get better shots than I do.
    Enjoy all 15 places vtc!