D750 repairs

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
I understand that Nikon have got so fed up with D750 problems that faulty cameras are being returned to japan and the owner made an offer ...Anyone sent one back with a fault since 1st Aug 17 or let us know if you do and what response you get. May vary with US or european returns .
Reminds me of Alpha Romeo when cars went for service the owner was told they could not have it back as it was so rusty it had to be scrapped .

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    In the US I heard they are 3-4 weeks backlog. Mine is affected and I didn't send it because I need it next weekend.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2017
    What, is there another recall? The three or four already were nit enough? I think my camera worked better before the last recall, should have left well enough alone. If it didn't cost $50 to ship it half way across the county, I would have demanded they make it better, but it's not worth the hassle and expense, before the cost of focus tuning etc.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Raygun1Raygun1 Posts: 1Member
    I sent my D750 in and it took less than two weeks to get it back. Though the repair center is in the same city where I reside and my camera had no problem to begin with. It fit the latest recall serial numbers on the Nikon website and so I sent it in. I suspect backlogs would be dependent on your location.
  • DaveCDaveC Posts: 12Member
    Mine was fixed in the original recall but developed a problem last week. If the camera had been off for a few hours it would show ERR when I press the shutter button for the first shot, mirror would lift but shutter would not release. Press the shutter button again and after that all was well. Nikon Canada gave me an RMA and acknowledged the issue. Sent it this morning. Will report back on what happens.
    D750. Vixia HV30, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 50mm f 1.8G G, Speedlight SB 600. Nikon Aw100.
  • DaveCDaveC Posts: 12Member
    edited November 2017
    Mine came back yesterday after 4 weeks. No offers made, they simply replaced the shutter, for the 2nd time, did a general checkup, cleanup and replaced 3 rubber grips. They did not fix a malfunctioning left microphone as I requested so off it went again. ( I know that an external mic is much better and I have one but I do not aways carry it and so wanted the onboard mic fixed.)
    Post edited by DaveC on
    D750. Vixia HV30, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 50mm f 1.8G G, Speedlight SB 600. Nikon Aw100.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    4 weeks is rubbish as is not fixing declared problems.
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    In July I had to go to my granpas funeral and one of my camera's (d7000) died right before I left and a guy in town just didn't seem to want to meet up with me to grab his used d7100 (there literally wasn't any nikons in town, new or used).

The only other one was a d750 about 45 min away, in mint condition with 4k shutters which sent alarms off all over the place because he said he shot weddings but I had no choice or time really so I went up to look at it.

He was only asking $1000 which again cautioned me but I met up with him at a bank, Turned out that he was a super nice guy but I was still a lil worried but then it turned out he was a cop! So I looked at the camera and it was absolutely mint, even smelled new. So I asked him how there was so few accuations on it thinking the shuter had been replaced but it hadn't and he said he had a d5 and d500 and just didn't use the d750.

I offered him $950 and he accepted and we sat and talked a bit and then got up to leave and he gave me $50 back, so i paid $900. I got home and called nikon to be sure all was fine and it was and they checked serial and wasnt on any recalls but they said to send it in when I can and they'll put new shutter in and all that. I did get a pic in wyo that I think shows the light leak, so in my case the recalls got me a hell of a deal! I'm waiting for times to decrease before I send it in, hell it might need a new shutter by then lol

With xmas coming A month might be too long but we'll see but damn... what a steal!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Wow, $900 for a practically open box D750 is a great deal.

I wonder why the prior owner was so willing to lose money to sell it to you. He probably could have traded it on Amazon and gotten a similar if not better price

Edit- body only, Nikon D750 is only worth $850. Strange.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D600, D610 and D750 are very similar, so the used market is being very unforgiving in terms of price.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    DennyT said:

D610 and D750 not the same
    https://imgur.com/a/mhcFe

What PB_PM means is that they are both pro-sumer body cameras of a similar class. The differences are quite small really. I have been surprised by the high-ish residual value of the D6** series considering their history.
    Always learning.
    NSXTypeR said:

I wonder why the prior owner was so willing to lose money to sell it to you. He probably could have traded it on Amazon and gotten a similar if not better price

It was a great deal, I had to leave the next day so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I did check around after that and at that time fairly heavily used ones were $300-500 more so I was happy. Right now there's a D610 on craiglist here for $900 body only and for some reason ppl with D600's think they're worth over $1000.

Money didn't seem like an issue, he has a D5 & D500 too and just wasn't using the D750 and was selling it to get a Sony to try out.

With the D750 apparently being Nikons best selling FF by a mile, you'd think there'd be more for sale and/or good deals but I never seem to really see them used.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

NSXTypeR said:

It was a great deal, I had to leave the next day so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I did check around after that and at that time fairly heavily used ones were $300-500 more so I was happy. Right now there's a D610 on craiglist here for $900 body only and for some reason ppl with D600's think they're worth over $1000.

Money didn't seem like an issue, he has a D5 & D500 too and just wasn't using the D750 and was selling it to get a Sony to try out.

With the D750 apparently being Nikons best selling FF by a mile, you'd think there'd be more for sale and/or good deals but I never seem to really see them used.
    When they come up on Craigs List here they are gone within a week. I checked a few days ago and the price is down on eBay which makes sense with the new prices down for the holidays. You got a good deal.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    All, this is why I buy Nikon.
    Scroll back and see my comments and issue with my 750 shutter lock up on first exposure and the possibility that my 24-70 F2.8G maybe related.

Friday - 12/8 filled out the online form to return the camera and lens. Of course they could not provide a quote for repair without examining the D750. Lens and D750 purchased at same time, body not in warranty and lens in 5 year warranty. Purchased 11/2014.
    Saturday - 12/9 shipped to Nikon Service Center in Melville, NY
    Tuesday -12/12 arrived at service center
    Wednesday (today) - 12/13 received emails acknowledgement/Estimate, one for each item.

Note: I also sent one of the photos that was all black when it locked up and one other when it did not lock up.

For the lens, the explanation of service: Poor focus, see thumb drive, clean & check and calibrate with D750. This repair is covered under warranty.

I was very pleased with this response and what I expected.

For the D750, the explanation of service: TO GWO SHUTTER. No charge/good will repair. Calibrate with lens.

This is fantastic customer service. I am thrilled with the "No charge for repair" of the D750.

A very satisfied Nikon user since 1968!!

FYI, I also provided copies of the communications with Tech Support and a one page summary letter and packed the box for maximum protection as well as the thumb drive with images.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    To be honest, that is what I would expect from Nikon UK, they have always been very fair indeed with me.

It's good to see your local guys doing the right thing for you too.
    Always learning.
    Update: I shot over 80 photos today and no issues. Very very happy. Got to go and change the menu settings to go back to BBF. Pun intended. :)
    Here is my update finally...
    If you recall mine has the flare issue (but isn't one of the serial numbers listed but I sent them samples), it also has some weird quirks were say if I'm going a video and the battery gets low the whole thing just shuts off. This is different than any other Nikons I have because of the shutdown and close the shutter and stop and save the video... my D750 just dies, you lose the video and when you out a new battery in you get an EE error, which I finally figured out was that you needed to put new battery in and fire a shutter... uggggg
    So the first 2 times I called Nikon USA told me it was defective and they'd fix it all for free but said I'd be better off to wait a while if I needed the camera because they were fixing so many, I said yes to this twice.

The third time I called to actually send it in they renigged and told me they'd charge me to fix it.... nice!!

I didn't send it in, I'll buy and d850 but use the money from not fixing the D750 and get a Pentax rig for astro.