Is it worth to go with higher end Nikon like the 850 for the things I do?

2»

Comments

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited July 2018
    I belong to two photo clubs, so each month I see the work of more than 15 photographers. (Excluding what I see on the web) Of those photographers, 6, maybe 8 are what I would call "real" photographers. The rest of us are what I call "play" photographers -- we play at photography, but we do not really work at it. We will not go to the same location day after day and wait hour after hour for the light to get just right. We do not set up portrait lights for hours before the victim arrives.

The play-photographers seem to stress emotions, not sharpness. They seldom blow up an image beyond 13x19.

The real-photographers always produce sharp images, blow them up to feet-x-feet check the pixels, and then print something in the range of 3x4 feet. With one exception, and she is perhaps the best photographer in our clubs. She often blurs the water flow or the shaky leaves, or the dreamy clouds. She uses sharpness as just another tool.

I know that 24mp could be more than enough for any and all of these photographers. The D3 was good enough, it was just too big and heavy.
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    The D610 will be more forgiving for apparent sharpness than the 45+ MP D850. Be prepared for that.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I say get what you want to use tomorrow. Even if you are happy with your camera today, if you think you are advancing as a photographer, make sure your equipment does not let you down. There are plenty of great cameras, the D800 or D810 would most likely satisfy your needs for years, but the D850 will only help you further achieve what you want.

I agree with WestEnd, you tend to pixel peep the more critical you get, especially if you get a great lens.

Never go down on gear...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    No, you should wait for the new Nikon mirrorless camera before you make a decision.

(Semi trolling but not really).
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    When you're unsure about really expensive gear like a d850, I find it helps to rent the item and see if it's really as great as it seems.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That there is very good advice.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Yep. Even getting a bit of hands on time for free via the Nikon display at Best Buy helped me with my recent purchase decision.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Renting is a great way to decide on body and lens purchases.
  • CraigRCraigR Posts: 4Member
    I look at it this way. If you think you need it, you don't. If you KNOW you need it, then you do. If you don't truly need it, save your cash.