Is anyone still buying D850 today?

eric727eric727 Posts: 26Member
edited July 2018 in General Discussions
Hi, just curious, is anyone still buying D850 while Nikon going to announce full frame mirrorless soon?

Nikon D850 Expected To Be In Stock On August 4th At Amazon
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/29/nikon-d850-expected-to-be-in-stock-on-august-4th-at-amazon.aspx/

It seems all people (consumer & Pro) are going after the mirrorless camera, at least based your on reviewer, and all media reported...

Thank you.
Post edited by eric727 on
Tagged:

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited July 2018
    I’ll be on the bench for at least a year to see what happens.
    A D850 or next DSLR is still being considered.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Are they for sale yet? I just looked at the stats on FLICKR and it looks like no one is using them.

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Searcy said:

Are they for sale yet? I just looked at the stats on FLICKR and it looks like no one is using them.

Interesting stats. Shows that even in an enthusiast community that has a fair number of pro's the vast majority of the market is DX.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    framer said:

framer

+1, I am still DX looking at FX.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    They are excellent, but if I were given a choice, I would go for a D750 24mp sensor in the D850 with the upgrade in speed and low light performance that would give. Make no mistake, the D850 sensor is optimised for low ISO use at which it is very good but my pattern of usage would be better served by the camera I described above. I have to say that now I have my D850 set up for my needs, it is the best control layout ever.

Full frame mirrorless may be my next camera but that will not be for 5-7 years. Should be pretty good by then.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    retread said:

framer said:

framer

+1, I am still DX looking at FX.
    DX users, unite!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    It also seems the "newer" crowd doesn't know about flickr. On FB groups I always see the posts "spam with your xxxx photos". I ask if they know what flickr is and they can do a search on camera, lens, bnw, etc. So its possible fewer people are now using flickr. I know I haven't uploaded much recently.
  • eric727eric727 Posts: 26Member
    No matter how, many of the Sony fans has claimed that Sony is the world No. 1 best selling camera....
  • ShuntoShunto Posts: 6Member
    I just took delivery of my 850 2 weeks ago... I ain't budging..
  • MunchmaQuchiMunchmaQuchi Posts: 16Member
    I don't shoot for others anymore. Just for myself. D850 is incredible but I dislike the loss of the built in flash. It's a lot to take a full size flash everywhere.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Flash ?? Get a SB 400....as for buying it ..if the predicted F to Z mount adaptor is a stupid as suggested there will be rush to buy D850 !!!
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I bought an SB-400 for use with my D500 and it's small and better than a built-in.

I'm happy with my D810, but might consider the D850 if it drops in price or wait for the next iteration (D860?). I have no interest in mirror-less. The lack of an optical finder is a deal killer - I've never found a digital finder I liked.
    pictureted at flickr
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited August 2018
    I am getting far less interested in the mirrorless Nikon. It is NOT the camera for me. The last of a built in flash has hurt our use here of our D500. I favor the D7500 over the D500. If you think everyone is going to add the SB-400 you are wrong.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    I am not interested in mirrorless at the moment. Maybe if it beats the D850 I will reconsider. lack of flash makes little difference to me. My main camera is a D500 but when I use flash it is usually a SB-5000 with a D7200 and on a grip to get the flash over the lens hood.
    If you want to keep the flash over the lens you need one of these. The presentation is not the best but it works perfect particularly with a SB400 as that's closer to the lens.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Universal-Flash-Arm-Bracket-Grip-Holder-style-4/261883973572?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    What I have is a Stroboframe press T. It works with a griped camera and rotates from landscape to portrait keeping the flash centered above the lens. Usually I am using the 24-70 when I use the flash and can keep the lens hood on. It will work with longer lenses though. I do wish however it would fold smaller to fit in a bag.
    edited August 2018
    I looked at the Press T ..oh no far too big and with a side handle ...the one I listed is light and you still use the camera side grip as normal ..You need the flash above but as close to the lens as possible to reduce side shadows to zero Can use it if the camera has a vertical grip too as its adjustable ..I have 3 could not shoot a wedding without it . The flash is exactly centered over the lens for landscape or portrait. At the price its 10% of the Press T just go try one.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have to say I am honestly staggered that this question is even thought about, let alone asked. The D850 has won pretty much every award there is since it came out and beats some very expensive MF bodies for IQ and yet the merest whiff of a new body from Nikon and it is forgotten in the rush to get the newest toy. Ay Caramba.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

I have to say I am honestly staggered that this question is even thought about, let alone asked. The D850 has won pretty much every award there is since it came out and beats some very expensive MF bodies for IQ and yet the merest whiff of a new body from Nikon and it is forgotten in the rush to get the newest toy. Ay Caramba.

That's why I was surprised Nikon would come out with a mirrorless right of the bat that was so close the the 850. I thought the safer bet would be to do a 750-like camera only.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Just speculation but I am thinking that the D850 was so far down the development path that they decided to just go ahead and release it. It's clear that they made a decision to go all in on the mirrorless. What they do with the consumer side of the camera business will be interesting.

The move to mirrorless by Nikon seems to be more about reducing the costs to build cameras than taking advantage of the technology. At least that is what we have seen from Nikon so far (looking at the 1 series). We will know more about their future in a week.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    D850 vs mirrorless is only an issue if you assume Nikon will suddenly dump DSLRs. Nikon absolutely MUST seriously commit to the new mirrorless technology. But they should — hopefully will — run parallel for a number of years.

Analogously, Nikon (and Canon) did not dump APS-C when full frame sensors became practicable. D500 is the latest proof of that.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    But neither did they develop much in the way of lenses. But I am with Spraynpray. I am astounded that the question is even being asked. I would expect D8XX iterations for years to come.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited August 2018

If you want to keep the flash over the lens you need one of these. The presentation is not the best but it works perfect particularly with a SB400 as that's closer to the lens.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Universal-Flash-Arm-Bracket-Grip-Holder-style-4/261883973572?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Pistnbroke, I am not sure if you are joking.
    Is looking like something Soviet era Zenit would have designed for Red Army field use (looks like it can support artillery above the lens).

PS: I am a big supporter of popup flash.
    Post edited by HankB on
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    edited August 2018
    Popup for me would only be used as a trigger for other lighting. My 24-70 actually is in the way of it for closeup work. I'm glad Nikon removed it from the D850.
    Post edited by MegapixelSchnitzel on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited August 2018

Searcy said:

"No one" is using the D850?

I know a high net worth individual that has a Fuji crop senser fixed prime. HIs sister, also a high net worth individual, has a Canon rebel. I can just imagine myself telling them that they are broke, can't afford a high end DSLR and are too stupid to earn a decent paycheck because they don't know Flickr inside out. He would say, "What the hell is Flickr and why do I care?" I would also find myself unemployable in my profession, which would make me unable to command a paycheck that can afford the purchase of a D850, let alone the rest of my gear. Perhaps I will refrain from that...….

Searcy, a new camera takes a while to accumulate enough shots to appear on Flickr statistics. I hope that you are not offended by my answer. And sorry for keeping it short, but I think that you are smart enough not to require an explanation longer than one sentence.

Considering your profession John, you have an interesting handle:

http://www.jkoernerinvestigations.com/about.html

Best,

WestEndFoto
    https://www.flickr.com/people/westendfoto/

Post edited by spraynpray on