Is anyone still buying D850 today?

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited August 2018

Searcy said:

Are they for sale yet? I just looked at the stats on FLICKR and it looks like no one is using them.

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/

"No one" is using the D850?

Is this trolls style considered an acceptable way to address another member of the forum? If it is I'll have a lot more to say. :)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

Searcy said:

Are they for sale yet? I just looked at the stats on FLICKR and it looks like no one is using them.

"No one" is using the D850?

Uh, genius, there were 11,000+ uploads with the camera yesterday.

Use your brain and THINK for a moment: the D850 is **brand new**.
    It is *more expensive** than you, and most, can afford.

Of course more people use DX ... because more people are BROKE and CAN'T AFFORD a high-end DSLR.

A brand new, $3,200 camera will never show the same overall presence as some cheap-ass toy camera that you (and other crumb-grabbers) have been using for the last 10 years, because you can't afford anything new.

If you don't have a D850, then the reason you can't afford one--and that is because you can't think accurately enough to command the kind of paycheck necessary to make the purchase.

Just being real.
    Wow you seem nice. Way to get started off on the right foot here...
    edited August 2018
    "Searcy, a new camera takes a while to accumulate enough shots to appear on Flickr statistics. I hope that you are not offended by my answer. And sorry for keeping it short, but I think that you are smart enough not to require an explanation longer than one sentence."

I'm sure that's part of it. Probably most of it. But I'm also sure that lack of availability has planed into it as well. I was well sold on the d850 a year ago but the fact that it's still on back order has cooled my excitement to the point that I'm looking at mirrorless options because if the more usable video capability that I can't seem to get from any of the Nikon DSLRs I've used.
    Post edited by Searcy on
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Agreed, that "on backorder" constantly is a turn off for some consumers. Sure there are ways to get the camera but what kind of message does that send when you need to have connections to buy the camera.

One of the biggest questions for me is how long will the new cameras be backordered.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Searcy said:

Is this trolls style considered an acceptable way to address another member of the forum? If it is I'll have a lot more to say. :)

He seems like a real person. Google his handle, which takes you to his Flickr account and then directly links to his professional account. Now the fact that he is a troll should be searchable.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Guys, when people post unacceptable posts, just flag it so a mod can deal with it. When you all quote it I have to go around deleting the unacceptable parts from multiple posts instead of just one.

Thanks.
    Always learning.

Guys, when people post unacceptable posts, just flag it so a mod can deal with it. When you all quote it I have to go around deleting the unacceptable parts from multiple posts instead of just one.

Thanks.

10-04
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    The troll is just fantasizing himself as presidential.
  • CraigRCraigR Posts: 4Member
    I suspect that most of the people actually using D850s are not on Flickr. They're too busy earning a living with it.
  • SandWyrmSandWyrm Posts: 10Member
    mhedges said:

Searcy said:

Interesting stats. Shows that even in an enthusiast community that has a fair number of pro's the vast majority of the market is DX.
    Try Instagram, and you'll find more #NikonD850 tags.

They are excellent, but if I were given a choice, I would go for a D750 24mp sensor in the D850 with the upgrade in speed and low light performance that would give. Make no mistake, the D850 sensor is optimised for low ISO use at which it is very good but my pattern of usage would be better served by the camera I described above. I have to say that now I have my D850 set up for my needs, it is the best control layout ever.

Full frame mirrorless may be my next camera but that will not be for 5-7 years. Should be pretty good by then.

I've barely touched my D750 since getting the D850. Mostly due to the difference in ergonomics, lack of quiet/silent shooting, no 4K video, etc.
    sport said:

Just speculation but I am thinking that the D850 was so far down the development path that they decided to just go ahead and release it. It's clear that they made a decision to go all in on the mirrorless. What they do with the consumer side of the camera business will be interesting.

The move to mirrorless by Nikon seems to be more about reducing the costs to build cameras than taking advantage of the technology. At least that is what we have seen from Nikon so far (looking at the 1 series). We will know more about their future in a week.

I could be wrong, but with the most recent teaser videos, I'm getting a vibe that says Nikon is aiming to completely replace its DX and lower-end FX camera lines with these two new mirrorless cameras. I don't think that we'll see real capital-P Pro mirrorless that really competes with the D850 or D5 for at least another 6-12 months. When they have more NOCT lenses out, and possibly offer a medium-format body as their new flagship (assuming NOCT glass is designed to be medium-format ready).
    Nikon will continue to support its DSLR business (though at a slower development rate) for as long as the DSLR market holds up. So releasing the D850 while finishing up development on mirrorless is totally logical.

It is also logical that Nikon would become a bit conservative in DSLR production rates. That would account for the D850 backorders.
    SandWyrm said:

I could be wrong, but with the most recent teaser videos, I'm getting a vibe that says Nikon is aiming to completely replace its DX and lower-end FX camera lines with these two new mirrorless cameras. I don't think that we'll see real capital-P Pro mirrorless that really competes with the D850 or D5 for at least another 6-12 months. When they have more NOCT lenses out, and possibly offer a medium-format body as their new flagship (assuming NOCT glass is designed to be medium-format ready).

I agree as far as lower end FX. Not as sure on DX. Hogan has a good article up about how it seems to be in limbo. Personally I think there is still a need for the $600 or so kit camera as an intro/feeder, and FF just isn't ever going to get there. I know others disagree, going by the comments on some of the NR blog posts.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    I sure am buying a D850 soon. I think it is a cutting-edge camera that will be viable for commercial use for years. And I certainly WILL buy into the Z-series once it has been out for a couple of years and any kinks have been worked out.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I love my D850. I am a bleeding-edge, early-acceptor and usually trade in the last-generation toys for the just-announced toys. In this case, I am seriously considering keeping my D850. This is a big change for me.

I did pre-order a Z6 and I am considering a Z7. But, I am very hesitant to give up my D850. It is just too good.

No, I do not "need" a new camera, and I do not need three cameras. But I do like and want two cameras. One for a 24-70 and one for a 70-200 lens. I do not know how I will work this one out.

Yes, I spend way to much money on cameras. Thank goodness I do need to earn a living with these toys.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • ArtArt Posts: 1Member
    My comment is not based on the performance of the Z7 but on the handling when using the adapter together with some of my current f1.4 lens, I found the combo uncomfortable to use with the balance point too far forward. I am getting to the point ! I visited one of the UK roadshow events and had the opportunity to handle the Z with my lens, the result of this experience was that a new D850 left the shop with me, there is nothing wrong with the Z and if I was starting out with Nikon as a brand I can see the Z with the new lens range would be a preferred route but as I have the range of lens I require the D850 is the most suitable choice for me.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I'd get a D850 in a heartbeat if they cost $10.

Sadly, they do not.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2018
    I regard the D850 as the best camera out there. The new mirrorless Nikon’s etc., were a bold, expensive move. I’d rather have though a D7500 or on FF a revised D750. Mirrorless? Getting more and more DOUBTFUL. I think the Sony INSANITY got the whole camera industry verring off like a foul ball! When they do revise the D750 I sure as hell hope they keep the onboard flash! I own the D500 and usually use the more versatile D7500. In fact a D7500 style with a XQD would seem intelligent. The real competitor for most photo gear sales is......
    iPhone. My family just put another almost $20,000 in photo gear. Video that does 24 mp stills.
    My target would be a D850 and adding a 500 5.6 lens. The 18-80 and 200-500 I have are great lens. I’d like to get the best practical field FF zoom. 24 mm max at low end, don’t even know where the long end would be? Maybe 120?
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    There’s the 24-120 for FF. I don’t know of any general purpose full frame zoom that starts wider than that.

I can see doubting the timing of mirrorless but it’s pretty clear that’s where the future of ILC is heading.
    An almost universal given: as electronic technology expands capabilities, electronics replace mechanical, hydraulic, optical in this case, ways of doing the same thing. At least for cameras (unlike overly complicated, un-reliable, gimmicky, expensive to repair, impossible for the homeowner to repair controls for home appliances) digital imaging and now electronic viewfinders actually do have very clear advantages for the user.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Hank I don't joke ..I have 3 of these and could not shoot a wedding without it ..if you had one in your hand you would see it was extremely practical ,light and adjustable .
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2018

Hank I don't joke ..I have 3 of these and could not shoot a wedding without it ..if you had one in your hand you would see it was extremely practical ,light and adjustable .

Sounds practical to me. We don’t shoot weddings often, certainly if we did that’s what we’d be using. As to the new Z6 and Z7. Were very interested. But chasing expensive other gear, aerial, underwater, video like RED. Being the oldest in our team, my gear is all Nikon. But only one mirrorless of Nikon. I would most of all like to get a D850 if my farm income could stop being for taxes, and it seems like survival most of the time. That means if I can get paid some of what I am owed, it will go to stuff I need, including the D850 and I believe the 24-120 zoom. Question to Pistnbroke, do you think the 24-120 would work well on the D850 considering it is the equivalent of the DX 16-80 I use with my 200-500 on the D7500, D500, D7200?
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Sorry guys I'm confused. What are you talking about exactly?