Is anyone still buying D850 today?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I can answer that Davey - NO! I had one and on the D750 it wasn't good, so woud be worse on the D850. IQ around 80-100 was pretty bad.
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2018
    Well that is the answer! Thank You! The 16-80 on the D500 and the D7500 I regard as really very good. Our last farm event got cancelled due to flood events. Too many people coming were from the Florence impacted areas, The Carolinas, Virginia, West Virginia. I’ve got to guard my expenditures now. Next year I need to go to Yellowstone hikong, fishing, photographing! I already have cameras and lens that will work on this next trip just like they did last September! If I could afford it....l’d also add the D850.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member
    avoid the 24-120....horrible at both ends, and soft on the edges
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Davey J …..The 24-120 is the most horrible lens I have ever owned ...I owned two.. When used on the D810 The AF fine tune was all over the place when new as it ran in . I did not think it was sharp and had horrible focus breathing ..useless.
    It has been commented here that the only good ones are the ones that have been sent back to Nikon for adjustment so don't get a grey one. I replaced the first one with an 18-140 and the second with a 28-300 both underrated lenses. You will find Rockwell using the 28-300 on his D850
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The 28-300 is underrated indeed, perfect light weight do everything travel kit. It won’t do anything special (pictures look flat as a pancake, with no “pop”), but it will get the job done. It’s only 230mm at closer focus range, and has a large max aperture, but for outdoor shooting, or with some flashes, you won’t feel like Nikon ripped you off for the purchase price.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The 28-300 is fine if you limit yourself to lower resolution bodies.
    edited October 2018
    With 30,000 wedding photos on the 28-300/810 I don't agree ..like I said underrated by people like you

I would buy a D850 as many features superior to the Z7 ,and I would use the 28-300 on it but I would be concerned that the price would drop very fast once they get a Z8 or 9.

PS ...probably don't need it as one of the remaining 3 weddings just cancelled....
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    edited October 2018
    And people like Thom too. And he panned it even on a D800, not even a D850. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fine lens if you work around its limitations. Thom describes those limitations in more detail.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2018
    Usefulness and technical perfection are different things. The 28-300 won’t win on resolution charts wide open, or blow someone away with its bokeh, but as I noted, it will get the job done. At the end of the day that’s all that really matters. Sometimes you have to compromise and pick what will best meets your photographic goals. Do you want to get everything or focus on one thing? Your goals will determine that, and if you would rather have one great lens and not capture everything that’s great for you. If you do want everything though, you can make a compromise and use that less than perfect lens sometimes, it’s not a crime I swear.

I would not sell my 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8s for the 28-300, but it does have a purpose and usefulness. I for one don’t always care to carry big glass; for convenience because sometimes you just don’t have time to swap lenses and in imited space having a bag big enough for second camera and lens is not possible (small rural aircraft for example), or for weight and safety reasons, it is in those situations where the all in one zoom comes in handy.

It’s kind of like using an all in one desktop or notebook for a big job rather than a full sized work station PC. Those big computers with multiple monitors, and cables running everywhere might not work in your small work space, but the big guns sure does the same job faster than the little notebook or all in one desktop right? That does not mean the all in one solutions don’t have a place though. I think the same applies for superzooms, they aren’t for everyone in every situation, but they are useful tools.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I think that is well said.
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    i wont be upgrading until they fix the wifi so we can use apps like helicon remote , snapbridge is stupid why would they see the need to go away from just normal wifi
    Hmmm, There are more important reasons to buy the D850 than just snapbridge. Yes it is disappointing, but pretty trivial.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2018
    As the wedding market fades ..I have one wedding on 21st I think I will sell the two 810 and 800 and buy a D 850. The Z7 is not mature enough to buy now and I don't think even the auto focus on the A7R3 is as good as it could be . So I will have the 850 and two 7200 for the birds.
    So yes people are still buying the 850 and the price is dropping £2150
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member

So yes people are still buying the 850 and the price is dropping £2150

Who's selling it for that? That's very tempting

• trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I saw a few on Fleabay. Funny that they were all 'based' in Switzerland, shipped to the UK from their 'UK Warehouse' but the owner(s) were based in Hong Kong
    I have two cameras from our switz friends no problems
    A D850 would suit me fine. The D500 and D7500, and my D7200 are doing well. Fail to see the advantage right now of a Z6 and 24-70 f4. By the time I get there there will be updates. But two QCD card slots? Stupid! At least for me. My D7500 has one SD card slot and never fails. QCD is better. But the difference in cost of yet another D7500 and maybe another 16-80 lens, looks far better than a Z Series camera right now.
    @Pistnbroke : It will be interesting to see what you think of the 850. I advise you to try one first.
    Always learning.
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member

Hmmm, There are more important reasons to buy the D850 than just snapbridge. Yes it is disappointing, but pretty trivial.

that is correct , and my d500 does great so no need to rush and buy the latest and greatest , i understand my camera and its features well so i know the reasons to upgrade when the time is right , snapbridge absolutely sux and ill put up with it on the d500 but wont be upgrading nikons until they get rid of it or allow other apps to work with it
    I still plan on getting yet another D7500 to add to my existing one. I also use almost everyday the D7200 and see no difference in images from any of these cameras. My D500 get mostly used by my son and grandson. It is a great camera. We have missed the on board flash on that for some required photos though. Does anyone out there have experience with the Ninja Atomos V on the D7500? My grandson uses that a lot on the D500. Obviously the D850;would be great with that combo!
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    If you are serious about video such that you use an Atomos wouldn't it make sense to get a Z6 so you have functional AF? Plus the IBIS for video looks pretty darn good.
    edited October 2018
    I am certainly following the Z6 when it becomes actually available. The price though is about double what yet another D7500 is. The Atomos Ninja V seems to be something that looks pretty marginal for my own personal use. Mhedges is right here as the Z6 would give me a rig with 10 bit, video capability on the Z6 if I get it with the adapter and very importantly the 24-70 which will give me a 16 mm to 48mm type view compared to me beloved DX 16-80. Putting the cropped DX 16-80 on the Z6 with the adapter probably would result in less than the Z6 with the 24-70 S lens which is very highly rated and I must add I look for maximum depth of field in everything I do. I am in the farming business and I hope to share a lot of details in my field photography. For certain I need stills and video. The Z6 and Z7 has been a good move for Nikon. My son is right now planning on getting a Z7. I guess if I were in his situation I would be looking seriously at a D850. He sure has a lot of high end photo gear. They are making a lot of use of the D500. But they are using aerial and underwater specialized gear like Zeiss lens and RED. Steve Perry’s last Z7 review seemed to think the D850 was far ahead of the mirrorless for wildlife. Especially birds in flight. I should add birds in flight is not a huge priority for me. But low light photography of Whitetail Deer is as I consider them one of the beautiful things farming offers. I do not hunt them, but photos of them are important here!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    DaveyJ said:

Steve Perry’s last Z7 review seemed to think the D850 was far ahead of the mirrorless for wildlife. Especially birds in flight.

Well sure, I mean, what did people expect? The D850 is the culmination of over 30 years of development of the secondary mirror/separate AF module system. I think it's pretty silly to expect a camera that uses a totally different system to be as good on the first attempt.
    The often accepted mirrorless being superior to DSLR seems pretty far fetched to me. The Nikon Z6 and Z7 look very good for a first run. I’ve been looking at supposed 4D RED. Shot at places like Yosemite. Unfortunately all the scenes are of lesser known views, all of which
    I have photographed with view cameras and medium format panoramic in the film days. They are compelling images, but I am not sure they rise above techie. The scenery images
    I have seen with the Z7 look pretty good. And those I refer to were taken with mostly the 24-70 f4 S Nikkor lens. So for the first rendition of a new system, marvelous. But fir fast moving subjects mhedges seems to have summed it up perfectly. Makes it looks like someone still buying the D850 is making the right move. Hopefully Nikon will keep strongly backing their award winning DSLRs. The D850 ratings I see are that that is the single best DSLR ever made.