D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Which version of iOS are you running? If it's on iOS 11 keep in mind that using the controls to turn off WIFI/Bluetooth in the control center activates a 24 hour disconnect, not actually turn it off. So turning it back on in control center doesn't work. To fully disable WIF/Bluetooth you need to go into settings and disable and enable it again to stop that 24 hour disconnect.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    iOS 11.2.5 I don't use the control center, old school setting is what I use.
    Snapbridge connects, pairs to the camera OK. I even press the bluetooth symbol and it says I'm connected. Everything seems set to just take an image and have it download to the phone but nothing happens.

I due for a new phone anyways so I'll do some testing before I buy.

framer
    It's not just your phone, snapbridge kind of sucks.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited February 2018
    Hey Guys I'm pretty close to getting (money wise) D500 but I have a nagging feeling that Nikon may announce the followup model as I.E D510 with all the upgrades from D850. Full sensor 4K video readout, full touch menu, and 8K time lapse? What do you think?
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    It's always best to wait as long as you can. The new one IMHO will be hard to get for 6 months after it's released. I needed a 2nd body for travel photography in May, I did buy it used to save money.

framer
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    nukuEX2 said:

Hey Guys I'm pretty close to getting (money wise) D500 but I have a nagging feeling that Nikon may announce the followup model as I.E D510 with all the upgrades from D850. Full sensor 4K video readout, full touch menu, and 8K time lapse? What do you think?

I think Nikon is too busy working on mirrorless right now to do D510. I think we'll be lucky if we even get any DSLR lenses this year. Plus, D500 is still better than it's closest competitor 7DII, so Nikon can get away with not upgrading D500 for a while. That's my thoughts anyway.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Whaaaaat? Upgrade the D500 already? IMHO not a chance.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member

Yeah.. the D500 is on the Pro update cycle.. ie every 4 years...

Its likely that the D500 successor will be a mirrorless.. in 2-3 years time...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited February 2018

It’s two years old, a mid cycle D500s refresh is not out of the question at all. Thom Hogan mentioned back in December that sources were talking about a D500 and D750 refresh coming out in 2018.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member

Yeah.. the D500 is on the Pro update cycle.. ie every 4 years...

Its likely that the D500 successor will be a mirrorless.. in 3 years time...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

PB_PM said:

It’s two years old, a mid cycle D500s refresh is not out of the question at all. Thom Hogan mentioned back in December that sources were talking about a D500 and D750 refresh coming out in 2018.
    But then he said in January that although they *should* get updates they probably won't:

http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikons-2018.html

Here's the relevant bit:

"So let me first describe why 2018 probably won't be an iteration year for Nikon.

The time for a D5s iteration has already come and gone. It needed to be at the Winter Olympics to have any energy, and thus should have been announced at CES if it was coming. It's difficult to come up with things Nikon could have done to add to or enhance that camera. Particularly after the A9 came out and upped the game for performance cameras in terms of silence and frame rate. That implies completely new design, so is likely to wait until the D6 in 2020.

A D500s update is easier to imagine, particularly since the D500 doesn't yet have D9 or the HL/VL group autofocus capabilities or D850 focus stacking, plus still seems to have small glitches in the power/card system that could use a good flushing out. Just clean that camera up to give it a longer life. But the engineers that are likely to be able to do that seem to be working on other things already, so that probably won't happen, either.

Don't get me wrong. Both the D5 and D500 should get updates. I've outlined my reasons why before. I don't care if they're modest updates and things I wouldn't sell my current D5/D500 to get, Nikon needs those DSLR models to have as long a life as possible, because it's going to be awhile before they have enough mirrorless lenses. Yep, we're back to that, again."

nukuEX2 said:

Also:

Full sensor 4K - I think you'd need a new BSI sensor, similar to the one in D850, for the faster readout.

Full touch menu - They could probably add this in a firmware update if they really wanted to.

8K time lapse - I don't think this is possible with a 20MP sensor. You'd need at least a 36MP sensor like D810.
  • 7pilot7pilot Posts: 19Member
    edited February 2018
    It sure is entertaining to read all the next big thing posts and notes from reviewers. Not disrepecting anyone and is said all in good fun. Simply an observation of the common thread of upgraditis over even minor things.

When I worked at a motorcycle shop. We enjoyed the heck out of the new motorcycle anouncements in the bike mags. All it took was for the new model to be .01 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile or 1 MPH faster top speed and the crowds would gather at the door on Monday. waiting to trade in their already super fast 1 year old bikes that they owed more on than they were worth in trade. Didn't matter that none of them had ever been to their old bikes top speed nor were good enough riders to match the pros 1/4 mile times. We called it brochure racing. Boy did the bike shop make a killing.

So I find It eerily similar between bikes and cameras.
    Post edited by 7pilot on
    It’s true for most products, from phones, to cameras, cars, vacuums, tools, and anything else that gets minor upgrades.
  • 7pilot7pilot Posts: 19Member
    PB_PM said:

It’s true for most products, from phones, to cameras, cars, vacuums, tools, and anything else that gets minor upgrades.

I beg to differ. Well at least to a point. Most are not likely to upgrade a recently purchased vacuum because the new hotrod version has 1 more CFM of air flow over last years model. But illogical upgraditis seems to be strongest among the stuff we consider toys and fad items. Yes that even includes cameras for the enthusiast. Most pros seem to update their cameras when there is a tangible advantage for their business or they simply wear out or break the old camera. They tend not to be effected as strongly by the brochure spec wars like forum warriors. :-)

I guess I'm an odd ball though, As while I'm a photo enthusiast and have been president, Photo competition chair for the last two years of a local photo club. I don't anticipate ever buying a new hi zoot camera body again. The biggest improvement in my photography will take place by improving ME and my technique.

The only issue that my D500 has that might effect me is the WiFi/SnapBridge issue. Which can be fixed with a software update.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    As a enthusiast working my way up I buy the best I can when I add to my kit. I am not likely to trade up to the next upgrade. What I have is already better than I am and there are too many other things that I could use. I have two big purchases on my wish list then I think I will slow my purchases way down.
    edited February 2018
    Lets start with a new version of Snapbridge that works as advertised.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited October 2019
    Still prefer the D7500. Having used both D500 and D7500 I would say the D500 is plain awesome. I also have two D7500s and at times the onboard flash is very, very useful. Never have had a single failure on the single HDSD card. But the price of the D7500 is also a big attraction for me. I even wonder if Nikon would be incredibly smart to sell an upgraded D500 at some point. Mirrorless is still not in total control of hardcore field use. When it comes to video though the Nikon Z Especially the Z6 is making a lot of pros happy, and their clients and families.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited February 2018
    Went to the White Mountain's in NH last weekend and played with the D500 I just got. Used my old Nikkor 300 f/4 AFS lens and because it was crystal clear one day I explored taking long distant shots at one to three miles away. That combo was a killer. The detail I'm looking at was as good as I've ever seen.

Print size @ 72dpi

framer
    Post edited by framer on
    It is a concern of mine, going from 24 to 20Mp, good to see you're happy.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    framer said:

Lets start with a new version of Snapbridge that works as advertised.

framer

You would think that should be on their priority list. I purposely bought a D5500 instead of a D5600 because of all the terrible Snapbridge reviews.
    edited February 2018
    2784 x 1848 = 5144832MP D3s DX

4800 x 3200 = 15360000MP D810 DX

5568 x 3712 = 20668416MP D500 DX

6000 X 4000 = 24000000MP D7200 DX

5568 / 2784 = 2 or twice the resolution from a D3s to a D500
    3212 / 1848 = 2.00866 or twice the resolution from a D3s to a D500

6000 / 5568 = 1.08 or 8% gain in resolution
    4000 / 3712 = 1.08 or 8% gain in Resolution

However, 8% gain is minimal if anything in real life. With a better AF and faster speed the D500 should win most shootouts.

I hope my figures are correct.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
    Put that way, I'll take better AF over better resolution any day. :)
    Always learning.
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    anyone think the d500 might get the memory recall firmware update added
    would be nice if they added focus stacking but cant see that happening
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I think the D500 cake is baked at this point. Don’t see them adding any features via firmware.