Medium Digital Format

1235»

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I like my D500 for things that move fast and the D7200 for those that don't. I am no expert but feel there is a difference.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I can actually see a difference in detail on the wings of my butterfly shots so that means I will not go backwards. The results I get with a 24mp DX are good enough so I am not holding out for a 30 mp DX, I do think 24 is just enough.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    While I understand medium format has a certain look to it, I don't understand why people would still go for it in this day and age. Full frame DSLRs and mirrorless are so much more flexible with much more lens choices that for the price of even a medium format digital body you could buy a D850 with a few lenses and get started right away with what you wanted to shoot.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    You can achieve medium format IQ with FX, especially if the medium format is full frame like Phase One, not cropped like Pentax, Hasselblad or Fuji.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

You can achieve medium format IQ with FX, especially if the medium format is full frame like Phase One, not cropped like Pentax, Hasselblad or Fuji.

That's what I'm trying to say, I think you can do more with FX DSLRs rather than medium format digital.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Actually, that was a typo. My mistake, sorry. What I meant to say is that FX cannot achieve the quality of medium format. Note that I am talking pure IQ, not ergonomics, where Nikon and Canon reign supreme.

The cropped MF sensors are clearly superior to full frame 35mm, though perhaps not worth the price premium. But MF cameras are certainly not action cameras. And remember that this is achieved by small producers with small R&D budgets compared to Canikon.

Now full frame MF (Phase One) leaves FX in the dust.

If Nikon or Canon came out with full frame MF with the ergonomics of their full frame 35mm, I would be very interested. If they could do it for half the price of Phase One, I would be all over it.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I'm holding out for a 6x6. I have a Rollie that's a few years old (oops, older than me). The square format offers a lot of flexibility.

I love looking at transparencies under a loupe.

Now, how much would it cost? LOL
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

I'm holding out for a 6x6. I have a Rollie that's a few years old (oops, older than me). The square format offers a lot of flexibility.

I love looking at transparencies under a loupe.

Now, how much would it cost? LOL

Square formats hurt my brain. Which is why I never owned a Hasselblad.

Denver Shooter
    I like square formats, 4:5 even more. And it would eliminate the need for a vertical grip. All you would want would be a battery pack.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Phaseone make a angle plate which allows you to use the camera in Portrait or landscape position. They also can supply a Phaseone Grip for Portrait use, but at £1500 00 and very heavy, its not on my shopping list.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Resurrecting this.

Having just rented a Fuji GFX-50s system with several lenses for a week, I was amazed at how easy it was to take images of much higher quality in contrast to the struggle in use of maxing out quality images with the Nikon D8.. series. Of course this is exclusively for landscape work and Nikon D8.. cameras are rather more for generalist needs. The ease of operation, the touch screen focus (which was a true joy to use) and the relatively easy menu system are all pushing me to put the Nikon gear on the shelf and move to medium format. The D850 images are very nice but in a side by side (even after adjusting for saturation levels and standard sharpening), the GFX is easily more justified for the work I do and outputs a significantly sharper image with marked improvement in DR.

Heavier package with comparable lenses, yes indeed, and at 40%+- premium in cost, one has to ask, is it worth it? I'll be either renting this system and perhaps looking the Hasselblad x1d system as an alternative, with an eye to purchasing. But coming from 4x5, once you use medium format, I wince every time I take an image with the Nikons thinking, what it could have been with the Fuji. For the price, it is a remarkable product and what I would have wanted back in 2014 when I put my 4x5 camera on the shelf.

No criticism of Nikon here as they do not have a comparable product.
    Check out the PhaseOne IQ4 system before you make a decision.
  • The IQ4 is clearly the premier offering, and the IX system color looks quite accurate. Given my tender back after hiking several miles two days ago with the GFX and 2 lenses (I have the luxury of hiking daily for several miles with Nikons typically), the 2.4x weight comparison of IX vs GFX, and the unique and reputable 32-64 Fuji Zoom with nothing to match per se by Phase, I am inclined to go with reduced weight as Llamas and/or sherpas are not in my repertoire.

Where does one rent the IQ4?

Let me evaluate some 30x40 prints from the GFX 50 and see if I am still pleased. Other than oversaturation which I can handle in post, the Fuji color gamut is pleasing once adjusted. Setting up a profile in CO will take some time, as I am more inclined towards Hasselblad's "look". BTW, for those interested. Fuji has introduced it's own raw converter and it works well.

With technology moving so quickly (Canon's new 250MP H sensor announcement), perhaps we will eventually see IQ4 quality in a FF+ sensor?

It may be years before masks are no longer needed to preserve the most vulnerable, so I don't see non-virtual gallery openings in the forseeable future. So I have some time to experiment.
    I purchased a well used jogging stroller for $50 that I put my gear in (including the 800mm and its Gitzo tripod and Wimberley head) when I need to take a long hike.

As for IQ4 rentals they are available. The PhaseOne website has a listing of rental houses worldwide.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/about-us/rental-locator

You will probably need an insurance rider to rent the system due to the cost.

Denver Shooter
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I see Fuji is coming out with a GFX50Sii that is 1500 dollars cheaper than the original GFX50S. Why is the new one, which I would presume is better due to newer technology, so much cheaper? (The MP rating is the same so I assume it has the same sensor).
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I went down the primrose path and owned QUITE a few medium format and large format. Luckily I switched from a 1 degree spot meter to using a Nikon F5 and the best Nikon zoom lens for getting the settings for the big cameras, many in the 8x10 class and one bigger. I spent a fortune and the results with the Nikon F5 were what often saved the day. Bigger gear has MORE hassles, and today's cameras and lens are frankly AMAZING. AND no outrageous turn around time and lab fees. And after awhile you run out of wall space for really big prints!