Buy D850 or wait for its replacement

I'm looking to buy my first FX camera and have time on my side. Would you wait until the D850 replacement comes out at some point, or pull the trigger now and get the D850? Thank you,
Tagged:

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Personally I doubt we will get a DSLR D850 replacement. So I wouldn't wait.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I think that you will get a D860, but the D850 is state of the art. I would buy it now. As I walk through the Valley of the Temples at this very moment, I would be kicking myself if I did not have my D850.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    The D850 is an astounding camera. If I didn't already have one, I would stand in a long line to buy one. It's a lot for a first FX camera, but there is nothing wrong with starting with the best.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I WOULD WAIT FOR A PRICE DROP
    That could be a ways off too considering the D850 is still selling well and they don’t want to undercut the Z7.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D850 was only just released within the last year, so it could be a year or more before an update comes, if there even is one. Go for.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    If I were in your shoes, I'd get the D850 if you're ready for it. Even though I don't own a D850, it seems to be at it's peak for that model and body. I don't know if Nikon Corp. will want to put more into it. Remember, many people complained that there was no "true" D700 replacement even with the release of the D800 which was a game changer.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I am like Pistnbroke. I will probably buy a D850 but I will wait for the price to drop (or until I really need it).
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    when they fix snapbridge ill buy one , i use helicon remote on my d500 and i have to tether it to my computer to get it to work because the wifi doesnt allow it to connect
    just give us back normal wifi please
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member
    Intended use is relevant here, yet no on bothers to ask.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Buy it now. Or skip DSLR's entirely and start with a Z6 for $2000 in a few months.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes I think the D850 will be with us for quite some time. Its still the best camera in Nikon's lineup and you definitely wouldn't regret the purchase :)
  • lowdowndanlowdowndan Posts: 1Member
    What is the value of the photos you didn't take while waiting for a few hundred dollar sale?
    One image might be worth hundreds, or even thousands. But I don’t think that this logic is valid for most “upgrades”, unless the shot is impossible without the upgrade.
    I am in the middle of a large corporate shoot of instructors and employees for a large fitness center. The corporation wants from the knees to 6 inches above the head and the D850 allows me to take that file and crop out headshots which still show the eyelashes using the 24-120 f4 lens at f5.6. I knew the D850 could do it but was surprised the lens could do it. Sometimes "overkill" megapixels come in handy. The corporation wants 3/4 body images without pausing to take personal shots for people but the individuals want headshots so I am glad I can extract those headshots from the 3/4 length body shots. Keeps both the corporation and the individuals happy. The D850 is really a great camera. Probably will become a Nikon classic.

I am in the middle of a large corporate shoot of instructors and employees for a large fitness center. The corporation wants from the knees to 6 inches above the head and the D850 allows me to take that file and crop out headshots which still show the eyelashes using the 24-120 f4 lens at f5.6. I knew the D850 could do it but was surprised the lens could do it. Sometimes "overkill" megapixels come in handy. The corporation wants 3/4 body images without pausing to take personal shots for people but the individuals want headshots so I am glad I can extract those headshots from the 3/4 length body shots. Keeps both the corporation and the individuals happy. The D850 is really a great camera. Probably will become a Nikon classic.

Are the eyelashes crisp enough for someone as fussy as me, or acceptable/usable for the general public?
    edited November 2018
    WEF: You will have to judge that for yourself from the examples below. I found I was shooting mostly at 50mm so I could have used the Sigma 50mm lens for more sharpness. However, the first shot in the series of 25 per person had to be a mugshot with a model release so I zoomed in for that one shot. I shot from a tripod so I didn't have to hold a camera all day and I didn't want to move the tripod all the time so I used a zoom lens.

850_4401_ppHeadshot

850_4755_ppCrop3

850_4311_ppCrop

850_4843_ppHeadshot

Post edited by donaldejose on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I may not be as fussy as WEP, but I'm impressed.
    Yes looks very good to me. I'd be curious to see how much worse the results would be with a 24 mp camera.
    Folks, I knew the sensor could do it but I did not know the 24-120 f4 zoom could do this at f5.6. The Sigma Art 50mm should be able to be even more impressive at this task.
    That's a good point. The reviews on that lens are mixed. It's hard to tell what to believe about it. But yours sure seems good, at least at the focal length you used for this.
    edited November 2018
    I did a focus fine tune with mine at 120mm but it said 0, no changes needed. Maybe I just received a good example of the lens. That is one thing I am looking forward to with Nikon's mirrorless bodies, no more focus fine tuning needed.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I flogged my 24-120 f4VR not because it wasn't sharp at 50mm (ish), but because it was inconsistent throughout its range and at some focal lengths was really pretty poor. Mine was part of my D750 wedding kit and I really wanted it to be good but alas it lived down to the reviewers conclusions on them.

Donald, if yours is good all through the range, you are lucky.
    Always learning.
    I used the 28-300 for a wedding where I was a guest and not the photographer so I wanted to stay out of the way by shooting from a distance at 300mm. This is one of the photos from that lens. Not as sharp, shot wide open and backlit near end of day so faces were in shadows had to be brought up. Nevertheless, I made a 16x24 metal print of it for them and they love it. Sharpness isn't everything!

850_2675a_pp
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2018
    I use the 28-300 (as does Rockwell on his D850) but I stick to F8 and only use 300mm for the rings up the finger and people making speeches. Good pic/happy/good teeth/groom on the correct side but I don't think the backlight helped.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on