Other Mirrorless Cameras

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited February 2019 in Other Manufacturers
Just curious, with the launch of the new Panasonic S1, does anyone on the forums here use other manufacturers for their mirrorless cameras?

And no, I'm not talking about Nikon C-mount cameras, unfortunately. :(
Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I got a Oly M5 M4/3 ..I call it holiday cam because the low light is so bad...Selling it all up next week before 4/3 goes pop.
    Have a look at Tony and Chelsea re the Si ..the focus is very very bad .It will pick out a face and put a box on it but still not focus on it .
    Sticking with the D850
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member

Sticking with the D850

Yes, as much as I love my Z7, I have a new found respect for the D850. Nothing works better with the big or old Nikkor glass.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Pistnbroke, I suspect that Tony and Chelsea only learned to turn it on 5 minutes before they did the focus review. That said, if pixelshift works, it could be a good “scape” camera.

The problem with pixel shift is that with these resolutions, the system limiting factor will be the lenses. Nikon is a tough company to beat optics wise and with the widest mount in the market, they will have a significant advantage.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Richard Wong posted an excellent AF test comparison video with the S1 vs Z6. Z6 was easily better, and that was using an adapted lens. The Panasonic was on preproduction firmware, so let’s hope it improves before release.

I agree this may be good for landscapes, but I’m not sold that it’s practical to get those very high mp files they claim. Even a tad of movement due to wind or tripod wobble will mess things up.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The Panasonic won't be able to compete for moving subjects, no phase detect auto focus, which means it's stuck with contrast based and anyone who's used an older mirrorless camera or a cheap point and shoot, knows how that ends up with moving subjects.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I find it funny that Olympus is the only player left in M4/3 and they respond to all these full frame cameras by making a high end M4/3 camera, the EM1x. I don't see them lasting that much longer honestly.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited February 2019
    Yeah it is a little odd, as soon as M4/3s bodies started show up for over $2k I just rolled my eyes and thought, they must be crazy. Then again Pentax still exists, somehow, no idea who is buying the stuff, it hasn't been refreshed for years and all but the largest dealers have dropped them from sale.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited February 2019
    NSXTypeR said:

I find it funny that Olympus is the only player left in M4/3 and they respond to all these full frame cameras by making a high end M4/3 camera, the EM1x. I don't see them lasting that much longer honestly.

I think that if Olympus wants to stay relevant, its best chance is to join the L mount alliance. I would not give up their Micro 4/3rds, but it is a niche with little upside in my opinion. I also think the same of formats using APS-C, but I think that will take much longer and it will be a bigger niche, perhaps a nice business for Fuji.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    edited February 2019
    Olympus isn't alone, technically Panasonic, Sigma, Blackmagic and a few others are part of the micro 4/3s group, although only Panny and Olympus are actively doing anything. Least we forget Panasonic just updated and released the m4/3s GH-5s and DC-G9 within the last 6-18 months. The question is, will Panasonic remain committed to m4/3s now that they have gone full frame? I suspect there is still a big group of people who like the run and gun video shooting of m4/3s cameras, I've seen them in the hands of a lot of back country trail shooters in recent years.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited February 2019
    The only thing for a mirrorless camera is weight for me, as one of the youngest on this forum. all this camera stuff becomes too heavy and I hope that in the future, camera's will be made of plastic instead of concrete.

In 2013 or so I bought a very expensive Sony NEX7 as walk around camera and in contrast of all the great reviews (also from Tony and Chelsea) the thing was rubbish, Sony promised all kinds of lenses, but these never came out. Later, I exchanged the camera for a Sony A6000, when the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 came out and due to the lens, this worked a little better, but it still was APS-C and I want Full Frame.

A couple of month ago, Tamron brought the 28-75mm f/2.8 for Sony and I bought that lens. In the week from Black Friday I exchanged the A6000 for the Sony A7II (FF with IBIS) and last month I bought the Samyang 35mm f/2.8. This is my walk around stuff, at least it is light and not to bad for the coming period, will become Nikon Z..... whatever in the future I think.

Oh, as (walk around) flash system I bought a couple Q20II flashes and FlashQ T2 triggers (Wireless but manual), you should buy those, these are so much fun.

https://www.lightingrumours.com/flashq-t2-q20ii-10703
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    PB_PM said:

The Panasonic won't be able to compete for moving subjects, no phase detect auto focus, which means it's stuck with contrast based and anyone who's used an older mirrorless camera or a cheap point and shoot, knows how that ends up with moving subjects.

Well I guess the AF on the Panasonic G9 is much improved, so maybe there's some hope for it yet. Still I agree without PD they will be at a disadvantage.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I'm considering the Sony a6000 as a small, light, carry-around camera. The price has really come down now that the a6300 and a6500 have arrived, and the a6400 is on the way.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I was disappointed in the IQ of the A6000 when I tried it, Pretty noisy in the shadows and not great on detail.
    Always learning.
    S&P, I did some more research today. Came across a read that has me thinking about Fuji instead: https://www.jmpeltier.com/2018/01/04/sony-mirrorless-or-fuji-mirrorless/
    Fuji certainly has the best APS-C based system around.
    I pulled the trigger (“pressed the shutter?”) on Fuji X-T20 and a 35mm Lens.

With a pancake lens, the camera ought to be quite unobtrusive, which is what I want it for.

(I was going to buy the pancake lens first, but I waffled.)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Canon M2 here, in denim with tan accents, plus the 22/2 pancake, in dark charcoal (am I describing a camera or a fashion accessory here?), which must be the sharpest, brightest AF 35mm FOV equivalent prime in the market for under $180 brand new. Together they are the smallest APS-C ILC/lens combo ever, and since I finally got myself a pair of progressive glasses I can now shoot off its rear LCD screen again without having to take off my glasses first. Yes, images are noisier in the shadows than with any of the Nikons I've owned, but LR cleans them up nicely and I'm nailing focus way more frequently than I ever did with any of the non Multi-CAM 3500 bodies I've owned. Best of all, I got them both, plus the original Canon EF adapter and a tiny Canon GN22 zoom/bounce flash, for less than $220. I also bought a mint, used, big and heavy Yongnuo 50/1.4 for $80, a very sharp lens with beautiful bokeh that unfortunately doesn't AF well on the M2, so I'm going to replace it with Canon's EF 50/1.8 STM. I'll probably also get Canon's EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, but it's currently $300, which doesn't make much sense to me because it costs as much as my whole outfit. This is currently my only ILC as I last sold my D600 and most of my Nikkors, but I'm in the process of getting a D3300 dual lens kit again (this will be my 4th), used of course, for less than $300. This time, though, I'm gonna get the AF module adjusted to nail focus perfectly, either by sending them to a technician or by disassembling the D3300 by myself.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Very cool! How do you like the Fuji cameras?

I'm just curious, does anyone still shoot with the Nikon 1 cameras? I miss having them around, they're truly Nikon's first stab at the mirrorless segment.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I bumped into a fugi Xt3 ...so where is the PSAM dial. How do you set it at F8 with min 1/60 and auto iso up to 6400? The owner could not tell me so I said No Thanks
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Fuxi colors are overrated, their lenses are overpriced, and film era controls just don't do it for me in the digital era. I'll rather shoot Superia with my F, F2 or F3, and, truth be told, I'm so over with that I'm thinking of unloading them, too.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I downloaded a sample test file for the FUJIFILM GFX 100 today and ran a raw file through ACR and then scaled it up to a size that would gallery wrap at 144x54 and it looked good on the screen. Now I am going to print out a segment that is about 24x36 from that image to pixel peep on photo paper. My bank account is getting nervous. I know there are things it will not do but for what I want it to do it is looking good.

I downloaded a sample test file for the FUJIFILM GFX 100 today and ran a raw file through ACR and then scaled it up to a size that would gallery wrap at 144x54 and it looked good on the screen. Now I am going to print out a segment that is about 24x36 from that image to pixel peep on photo paper. My bank account is getting nervous. I know there are things it will not do but for what I want it to do it is looking good.

I would wait until Nikon launches a higher resolution Z camera and their 1.2 primes. You might find that the Z system with the new lenses might achieve close to the resolution that you are looking for.

What do you currently shoot FreezeAction - bodies and lenses?