Z Mount Camera Wants

13»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited February 2019
    PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

Sorry what’s gas in this context?

It's not petrol or gasoline, if that's what you are wondering. Variable ND filters, and circular polarizers have gases (only the manufactures know which gases are used) in them that making the transitions possible. As you turn the filter the different gases mix and created the light barrier the user sees. Transition glasses work the same way, it's a chemical reaction.
    Really? I thought they were just two stacked circular polarizers and as you turned them the interference changed and they got darker or lighter.

Maybe there was a chance to put a filter holder in the FTZ adaptor?

I bet they could, just like Canon did. But you are missing a lot of the benefits of this system if you don't use native glass.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    mhedges said:

PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

Sorry what’s gas in this context?

It's not petrol or gasoline, if that's what you are wondering. Variable ND filters, and circular polarizers have gases (only the manufactures know which gases are used) in them that making the transitions possible. As you turn the filter the different gases mix and created the light barrier the user sees. Transition glasses work the same way, it's a chemical reaction.
    Really? I thought they were just two stacked circular polarizers and as you turned them the interference changed and they got darker or lighter.
    Depends on the manufacture. Some might work that way, but most of the ones I've seen use the gas method, because it allows them to make the filters more compact.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I would love to see a link for those gas ND filters.

Denver Shooter
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2019
    Not standard set ND filters, those have no reason to use gas, the variable strength ones use it. Cannot point to links, because manufactures don’t say those kinds of things in the spec sheets. You find out when you drop and crack them, the gas leaves and they do nothing after.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @PB_PM Ouch! That sounds like it could be expensive.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yeah, that's like when the smoke leaves electrical cables - you have a heck of a job trying to get it back in there...
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    True. The magic smoke in electronics and wires is a genie that is really hard to get back inside the bottle.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited February 2019
    We use quarter wave plates in our CP setups in the lab. No gas, though...

By the way, has anyone tried linear polarizers with the Z7? We use CPs because the light intensity and wave front phase do not change after reflecting off the mirror in a DSLR while they do with linear polarized light (the direction of polarization is rotated by the reflection) but since mirrorless cameras are, uh, mirrorless, that shouldn't be a problem and the metering should work fine. I'll dig around my old Leica gear and see if I have a linear polarizer I can try...
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy

True. The magic smoke in electronics and wires is a genie that is really hard to get back inside the bottle.

That magic smoke is expensive as hell.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member

Yeah, that's like when the smoke leaves electrical cables - you have a heck of a job trying to get it back in there...

You just need mirrors. Politicians use them all the time.
    PB_PM said:

Not standard set ND filters, those have no reason to use gas, the variable strength ones use it. Cannot point to links, because manufactures don’t say those kinds of things in the spec sheets. You find out when you drop and crack them, the gas leaves and they do nothing after.

Whats the name of the manufacturer who makes variable ND filters that use "gas"?

Denver Shooters
    Still waiting for the name of the manufacturer of variable ND filters that are filled with "gas" as the active agent.

Denver Shooter
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just curious, does anyone want a DX sensor sized Z mount camera? My gut reaction is yes, but to be honest, practically speaking it makes no sense. All it does is create compatibility confusion and again separates cameras into "pro" lenses and "amateur" lenses like DX and FX were in the past. On the other hand, Nikon does need to figure out what to do with intro level cameras and lenses as obviously DSLRs are dead or dying soon and you can't keep making DX cameras forever.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The new DX Nikon is Z mount and no viewfinder with a custom 18-55 so I am told
    I think they do need to have some DX Z mount cameras. You still need some kind of feeder system, even if that market has declined.

As far as lenses, you really only need 6 to get basically the same lineup as what we have now:

Kit style wide zoom
    Kit style normal zoom
    Kit style tele zoom
    35 1.8
    Superzoom
    Premium normal zoom

Most everything we have in Nikon DX lenses is a variation on these. (note that I didn't include the 40mm macro lens because it seems kind of useless to me)
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I still want a 135 mm/macro that is Z-sharp
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

The new DX Nikon is Z mount and no viewfinder with a custom 18-55 so I am told

So basically a Sony Alpha 5000 with a Z mount. Yes, I saw the post on the main blog so I made this post to discuss.
    mhedges said:

I think they do need to have some DX Z mount cameras. You still need some kind of feeder system, even if that market has declined.

As far as lenses, you really only need 6 to get basically the same lineup as what we have now:

Kit style wide zoom
    Kit style normal zoom
    Kit style tele zoom
    35 1.8
    Superzoom
    Premium normal zoom

Most everything we have in Nikon DX lenses is a variation on these. (note that I didn't include the 40mm macro lens because it seems kind of useless to me)

I mean in theory, you could make a Z6 with no viewfinder and a cheapo 24-70 with slow apertures. You could keep it full frame and still sell it fairly cheap.
    rmp said:

I still want a 135 mm/macro that is Z-sharp

I think there will be a 105mm macro at some point, the FX one is due for refresh anyway for the Z mount.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PeterTPeterT Posts: 5Member
    Camera Wishes: Bigger pro body with two card slots, better AF-C, even better and more responsive EVF, 40-50MP, Global Shutter for flash sync times beyond 1/250th of a second.
    PeterT said:

Camera Wishes: Bigger pro body with two card slots, better AF-C, even better and more responsive EVF, 40-50MP, Global Shutter for flash sync times beyond 1/250th of a second.

That would be quite a feat. I believe the A9 has the fastest "global" shutter of any FF camera on the market, and it is around 1/150 second. Going faster while doubling MP will be a big challenge.
  • PeterTPeterT Posts: 5Member
    edited August 2019
    I would also take 24MP with global shutter. There is no chance to get leaf shutter in a FX camera (and lenses). I am eagerly waiting for a solution that enables me to sync my Porty flash with shutter speeds up to 1/4000 of a second without workarounds like ND filter, hypersync etc.

I know that Godox, Broncolor and others offer monolights that do hypersync quite well but I use Hensel and don´t want to buy into another system. Besides that, hypersync does stress the flash tube quite a lot what results in shorter lifespan of the flash unit.
    Post edited by PeterT on