Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I am looking forward to any test of image quality between the f4 and f2.8 24-to-70 lenses. Thanks for sharing.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Symphotic said:

If I do this test again I will use glossy paper instead of luster, so my dots will come out more circular. I made about the smaller dots I could: periods with a font size of 5.

I made an image on my laptop with tiny white dots on a black background and got really bright white dots which seemed to work well.
    Always learning.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member

Spraynpray, any thoughts on the coma performance of the z lenses?

It seems to me that although I have no actual knowledge of the Z lenses, coma and the astigmatisms are best in lenses with little glass in them so I doubt that the Z's will be any better than the F's.

Camera Labs has coma test shots from all the Z lenses. Basically, the 24-70/4 S is a little better than the 2.8 E at the wide end, and a little worse at the long end. The 50/1.8 S is about the same as the Zeiss Otus 55/1.4. The 35/1.8 S is a little better than the Zeiss Otus 28/1.4.

The coma tests are about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the pages in the "Rendering of point-light sources at night-shots" sections:

https://cameralabs.com/nikon-z-24-70mm-f4s-review/2/

https://cameralabs.com/nikon-z-35mm-f1-8s-review/2/

https://cameralabs.com/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8s-review/2/

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited February 2019
    Wow, as good as the Otus lenses at a quarter the price and less than half the weight. And auto-focus is thrown in for free! Impressive.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    It's great to see Nikon doing so well with the new S line of lenses. Now they just need to get the Z bodies up to snuff with free software firmware changes like adding eye AF and with a "pro" body having two card slots. A year or two from now the Nikon mirrorless system may be the "primo" mirrorless system on the market.

It's great to see Nikon doing so well with the new S line of lenses. Now they just need to get the Z bodies up to snuff with free software firmware changes like adding eye AF and with a "pro" body having two card slots. A year or two from now the Nikon mirrorless system may be the "primo" mirrorless system on the market.

Eye AF and other firmware improvements are scheduled for release in May (just in case you missed it):

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/02/13/nikon-announced-again-the-development-of-new-firmware-for-the-z6-and-z7-mirrorless-cameras-with.aspx/

I would love to see someone post a full res Otus starscape here so I can click through to it. I have seen quite a few Zeiss shots and the aberrations are not great. Certainly not worth the money or half of it.
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited February 2019
    I have been re-running the tests of the 50 mm 1.8 Z vs the Sigma Art 50 mm 1.4. I am now using the test chart we use for our radiation hardened cameras, so it is no longer dots on paper. The Nikkor does quite well. The autofocus is amazing.

Maybe I can run the 35 mm against my Nikkor and Sigma 35 mm as well.

I will put some files up on Flickr for your inspection this weekend. These results don't give MFT data, but do show actual examples of resolution required by our customers in Japan. We pay our contract lab in Syracuse do MTFs for us, so it's better to rely on the lens manufacturer's published MTF charts.)

As for comparing the F/4 lens zoom, it looks good, but I don't have a similar lens to compare with. Maybe I'll set my 24-120 f/4 to 50 mm and run a comparison with that.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    24-120 is a mediocre lens so it will look artificially good I reckon.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

How does a mediocre lens look artificially good? Where can I buy some artificializer?
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited February 2019

How does a mediocre lens look artificially good? Where can I buy some artificializer?
    I think you may have the directional arrow reversed. But, if you find some of that artificializer, I'm in for a couple of gallons.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    LOL! Sorry guys, I meant the 24-120 is mediocre and will make the Z lens artifically better than if it were compared to a very good F lens.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I still really want some of that artificializer. :)
    edited February 2019
    All these images look a lot better than what I am used to seeing with radhard cameras...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvTpVFL
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    The 70 - 200 f/2.8 is on the roadmap for this year. I'm really keen to know what kind of results the telephoto lens will give with Z setup, By year end we will have two of the Z troika.
    Jack Roberts
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited February 2019
    The 70 - 200 f/4 on the Nikon Z6 with the FTZ adapter has superior IQ, the "native" S f/2.8 lens can only be better I think. The same with the 24 - 70mm f/2.8. I have the first one without VR. I start posting some test results on PAD.

For BIF the viewfinder becomes a little bit behind, but I never use 12 fps or so, mostly 3 or 4 and with my first tests I found out that until now nothing changed for me.

Set the FN1 button to zoom 100%. making manual focus very quick and easy in static situations, un-dust your old MF lenses, yeahhh.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Starting to see some more Z mount lens mockup pics from the show. The 70-200 is disappointingly big, at least to me. But the 85 1.8 sure looks sweet.
    mhedges said:

Starting to see some more Z mount lens mockup pics from the show. The 70-200 is disappointingly big, at least to me. But the 85 1.8 sure looks sweet.

The 50/1.2 is also crazy big for some reason.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    mhedges said:

Don't know what you were expecting, the optics still have to cover the FX frame, there is no magical bullet to fix that as long as we are using glass optics. I suppose Nikon could have tried using PF elements, but we haven't seen those implemented in a zoom yet, so there could be reasons for that.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited February 2019
    PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

Don't know what you were expecting, the optics still have to cover the FX frame, there is no magical bullet to fix that as long as we are using glass optics. I suppose Nikon could have tried using PF elements, but we haven't seen those implemented in a zoom yet, so there could be reasons for that.
    Well there were rumors posted by Peter on some of the blog posts that the 70-200 would be about the same size as the F mount 24-70. And the Canon RF 70-200 looks to be quite short, but I expect that lens extends when zooming.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2019
    The F mount 24-70mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 aren't massively different size wise, in terms of width anyway, so that is still fully possible. Do we have actual measurements of the Z-mount lenses size? Hard to judge when it's beside a small prime.

Having a zoom that extends could be more compact, but then again it makes it harder to make the lens water an dust resistant. I always prefer fixed length lenses myself, they just seem more robust.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    The 85mm f1.8 looks like a very nice size for the Z bodies. I hope sharpness and bokeh are great so you don't need an f1.4 version. The 70-200 f2.8 looks too big to me.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Info. The Tamron 35mm f/1.8 DI VC USD does not work on the Nikon Z with FTZ adapter and still no firmware available.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore