snap bridge

dmdpeterdmddmdpeterdmd Posts: 1Member
might it be possible that snap bridge could be available for the D4S? or any previous models.

Comments

• VisualUniverseVisualUniverse Posts: 11Member
    I suspect SnapBridge has a hardware component that is built into the DSLR body. Would be nice if Nikon offered an attachable SnapBridge accessory.
  • ChristinaCottonChristinaCotton Posts: 0Member
    Snap bridge means it would like a take photos this is very important one peoples are always like photography. photo clarity is important one it depends one the camera pixel quality. each and every camera have a different types of writing service one of the most popular writing service is custom essay writing service. this is based one best paper service.
  • ChristinaCottonChristinaCotton Posts: 0Member
    Snap bridge means it would like a take photos this is very important one peoples are always like photography. photo clarity is important one it depends one the camera pixel quality. each and every camera have a different types of writing service one of the most popular writing service is custom essay writing service. this is based one best paper service.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    What the hell is Nikon thinking? Do you want to convince a savvy IPhone user that a DSLR is a waste of time, just hand them Snapbridge.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/attempting-snapbridge-profe.html
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited March 2019
    Info

Snapbridge tests, after too much coffee I have the following working workflow.

- Snapbridge installed on the Android phone and the Tablet
    - The camera linked via "Bluetooth" to these 2 devices
    - Changed the Snapbridge folder in the app to the SD card, camera folder.
    - This automatically creates a subfolder "Snapbridge"
    - Now every photo of the camera comes in this folder as a 1680 x 1020 .JPG
    - it does not matter how the camera is set for the photo format.
    - reasonable quick and I see my photo in a bigger format on my tablet.
    - The range is normal bluetooth ranch.

Additional steps.

- You can link to Nikon Image Space via that app.
    - You can link the camera folder to Lightroom CC, what I do.
    - You can share the photo's direct in Snapbridge.

This 1680 x 1080 JPG files are perfect for sharing to the web, you can hardly do anything with this format.

Pro
    It is free

Con
    You can connect the camera to the tablet via a WiFi connection, but it takes forever to transfer a normal resolution of 6mb .JPG file and this WiFi drains the battery, unusable for me.

Unfortunately there is no OTG USB stick for a XQD card (Yet) to copy to a phone or tablet. I connected the XQD USB card reader to a OTG cable, the phone can see the card but says that the card must be formatted and you don't want this.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    edited March 2019
    Transfer, JPG images from the Nikon Z6 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet with Snapbridge.

The slow WiFi downloads I was talking about was the connection of the Nikon Z6 with my home network in Snapbridge, but that can be a problem in my network configuration at home, I have as a router the Fritzbox 7581.

With the Nikon Z6 or Z7, but probably also the other cameras that can connect to snapbridge, make the WiFi connection between the Camera and Snapbridge, as described in the "Nikon network manual" chapter, Connect via Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi mode), this is a one time setup.

Now you can download the photos that are on the card in the camera. It is only the .JPG files, where you can choose between up to 2mb files or original files. It shows itself in Snapbridge and goes fairly quickly.

My workflow now is:

- Start Snapbridge on the tablet (or your other device you use).
    - Make the bluetooth connection between camera and tablet.
    You now automatically get the 1680 x 1020.JPGs on the tablet, 1680 x 1020 .JPG's.

I have the WiFi connection on the camera off, because my tablet turns it off all the time, so for downloading the photo's with the WiFi connection an extra step is needed, no problem for me.

- Click on "Download photos" in Snapbridge. Snapbridge reports, make WiFi connection.
    - Snapbridge automatically connects to the camera and you see the photos on the card.
    - Select the photos to download
    - Click "Download" and an option "2mb or originals"
    - done.

This is probably also a bit of help for the single card slot tension some have and @Donaldjose you have your .JPGs and your originals in the camera.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    How well does SnapBridge work on a D7500 and android devices? It's not a be-all, end-all decision, but I'm kind of curious.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Anybody ??? on the question of @NSXTypeR , I'am curious too
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2019
    Other than DaveyJ, I don’t know if anyone here is using a D7500.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    When I first tried Snapbridge a couple of years back I hated it and gave up. But with no second card on my Z7 for jpegs, I went back to Snapbridge and find that other than sometimes needing to reboot everything at the beginning of the day, it works great and it is much better than the two card option for my purposes.
    I have two cards in my DSLRs (D850, D500) but I only use Snapbridge and my iPhone for jpegs now, so the second card is repurposed for overflow.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited March 2019
    The same process here and the 1620 x 1080 format, if you want fast, is very useful for the web, you can even edit them a little bit in Lightroom CC.

I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (oled screen), only two things, the tablet does not switch to landscape mode in full screen and that the photo does not scroll directly to the next one in full screen, then my tether setup should be perfect.

Now we need Snapbridge for IOS and Windows for a notebook or PC.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I’m kind of surprised there is no x86 version, given the MS surface tablets are targeted at creatives.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2019
    The guy who made the program "Shutter Remote.Nikon" for Windows writes, Please note a PTP/IP Wi-Fi adapter is required for all Nikon Snapbridge equipped camera's. Nikon has disabled all 3rd party apps access to Snapbridge camera's build-in Wi-Fi AP.

That's the main problem why it is so difficult to access the camera without Snapbridge, I tried everything, but the only way to connect with the Z6 was via the Snapbridge app. For Windows or Apple prog's we depend on Nikon.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited March 2019
    Ton14 said:

The guy who made the program "Shutter Remote.Nikon" for Windows writes, Please note a PTP/IP Wi-Fi adapter is required for all Nikon Snapbridge equipped camera's. Nikon has disabled all 3rd party apps access to Snapbridge camera's build-in Wi-Fi AP.

That's the main problem why it is so difficult to access the camera without Snapbridge, I tried everything, but the only way to connect with the Z6 was via the Snapbridge app. For Windows or Apple prog's we we depend on Nikon.

Nikon's only hurting themselves in the long run. No one is going to buy a $50 adapter/dongle for a camera that adds needless complexity. No one likes dongles, and an extra appendage that might snap off is a liability. This is why cell phones are eating camera maker's lunch. I wish Nikon would just roll with the times and accept their workflow shortcomings.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I agree. It’s ridiculous you need to buy a receiver dongle for remote control. It should be built in.
    edited March 2019
    Just some info.

In Lightroom you can designate a folder which is used for the photos from your camera or tablet. In Snapbridge you can also set a destination folder for the photo's.

I set the folder Camera (which is on my 128gb SD card) as destination folders for my photo's.

In my Samsung Galaxy S3 tablet this works smoothly, but my Nokia 8 does not import the photos into LR.

I discovered that if I manually add the photos on the Nokia 8 in LR, they will be placed in the "Camera" folder.

My workflow on the road is now, the automatic JPG's with the format 1680 x 1020 arrive quickly on my tablet and Lightroom via the BLUETOOTH (yes !!!) connection, which I set "always switched on" in the Nikon Z6 and "automatic connect" in Snapbridge when I start Snapbridge.

Lightroom transfers the photo's to my LR cloud and to my home computer, via Wi-Fi or in my case via my data connection, I don't use Wi-Fi on my phone or tablet.

In Snapbridge you also have the option to download the JPGs on your camera as ORIGINAL JPG's to your mobile phone and this is your backup option on the road.

You can go even further via Lightroom CC if you want. That, of course will cost you a lot of battery power and your cell phone will get pretty hot.

PS. Snapbridge is also a remote control.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited March 2019
    Some battery info.

The "auto connection" is very usefull, but set to "on" takes a lot of battery power from your phone. I checked it, yesterday evening I loaded the battery of my Nokia 8 to 100% and switched everything off except bluetooth and Snapbridge. This morning my battery was 77%..
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited April 2019
    Tested Snapbridge this weekend a little more, my verdict:

The connection via Bluetooth works well, useful for a quick view on a bigger tablet screen, small .JPG resolution files.

The connection via WiFi is useless.

I connected the camera for remote control, it works. Put the camera on a tripod, distance about 6 meter (sorry metric) and it worked, after a short period the WiFi connection was lost. Reconnect failed 3 times and when I did not press anything, there it was again, took about 10 minutes. this happened every time.

The only Wifi solution is to buy an extra system, but these connect with every camera and can connect to a laptop or a computer in the studio for tethering.

In short WiFi is useless, Nikon WiFi uses Snapbridge only and block everyting else. Same with Sony, only Canon works, hope Nikon reads this, well they know.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Ton14 said:

Tested Snapbridge this weekend a little more, my verdict:

The connection via Bluetooth works well, useful for a quick view on a bigger tablet screen, small .JPG resolution files.

The connection via WiFi is useless.

I connected the camera for remote control, it works. Put the camera on a tripod, distance about 6 meter (sorry metric) and it worked, after a short period the WiFi connection was lost. Reconnect failed 3 times and when I did not press anything, there it was again, took about 10 minutes. this happened every time.

The only Wifi solution is to buy an extra system, but these connect with every camera and can connect to a laptop or a computer in the studio for tethering.

In short WiFi is useless, Nikon WiFi uses Snapbridge only and block everyting else. Same with Sony, only Canon works, hope Nikon reads this, well they know.

Ah, it's not only me...

Messed with it a bit during our mountain sojourn, with no internet access to look up anything other than what the Nikon Network manual had to say. Long story short, I'm working on using a Raspberry Pi to interface with the camera through the USB port, and let the RPi do the WiFi, and a bit more. Not yet ready for prime-time, but a lot more promising an alternative...
    Ton14, which camera are you testing this on?
    edited April 2019
    @NSXTypeR The Nikon Z6. In the past I tried WiFi, not with Snapbridge of course, with the D600 and the WU-1b, but the range was 3 meter max, useless too.

@ggbutcher please let us know your progress and which OS. Connection via the USB cable is easy, works with everything, I used it to tether with Lightroom.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Ton14 said:

@ggbutcher please let us know your progress and which OS. Connection via the USB cable is easy, works with everything, I used it to tether with Lightroom.

wilco. My first priority right now is modifying my software to better accommodate the larger Z6 NEFs compared to my D7000; it's choking my little Surface 3. But that's coming together nicely, so probably by the weekend...
    Okay, first test:
    • Z6 USB-ed to the Raspberry Pi running ddserver;
    • MS/Win10 Surface 3 running QDSLRDashboard.
    • RPi and Surface three both connected to the house WiFi.
    QDSLRDashboard found the ddserver, and was able to do Live View and take a picture with the Z6:

What I still need to figure out is, when the RPi is "off-net" and sets itself up as a WiFi hotspot, it doesn't forward the multicast protocol needed for QDSLRDashboard to find the ddserver. If you're just going to use an available network, that's not a problem.

I wasn't able to get QDSLRDashboard to connect to the Z6 directly through USB, but I think that's a driver problem on my part. More things to figure out...
    edited April 2019
    Can you connect QDSLRDashboard via WiFi to the Surface Pro 3?

QDSLRDashboard has already worked on my computer and laptop in the studio on Windows 10 a few times, but sometimes the connection to the program fails.

I make the WiFi connection with the Nikon Z6 on the laptop. The Bluetooth connection on the camera is off, only WiFi is on and the Snapbridge app on the tablet is also completely off.

Then I start QDSLRDashboard on the laptop and click on the Nikon WiFi connection ICON, after which everything works.

I also started Lightroom Classic and turned on "Auto Import" and the photos come in, JPG's because RAW's take too long. In QDSLRDashboard I switch off "Host Mode" and can walk around with the camera, tested it in a range of about 7 meters.

It is sometimes not stable, cannot get it running on my tablet (Samsung tab S3).
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    I tried a QDSLRDashboard/tablet -> Z6 WiFi connection during our cabin stay, no internet to look up things, only the Nikon manual to guide. It was not simple, the camera seems to need SnapBridge to tell it the device is okay to connect to, and I struggled with even getting past that step. I'll try it again, but I'm headed toward a Raspberry Pi solution for my needs. Given that the Z6 presents itself as a PTP device over the USB port without any connection shenanigans, a Raspberry Pi running ddserver is a whole lot less expensive than Nikon's WT-7A...