D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Tony/Spray..I got two D7200 and a D850 at present but after my last wedding at end april I was planning to sell one of the D7200 or sell both and get a D500...at present I am thinking keep just one.
    Davey ..would not changing from Aperture to manual (why) just be a single click from U1 to U2
  • ADKDaveyJADKDaveyJ Posts: 55Member
    I don’t use U1 or U2. There are features that few use. When get a new Nikon in seconds
    I can do what I have from D100 days. Some of the more “recent” features I should use and do not. So perhaps the U1 and U2 click would allow the fast transistion?
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    ADKDaveyJ said:

I don’t use U1 or U2. There are features that few use. When get a new Nikon in seconds
    I can do what I have from D100 days. Some of the more “recent” features I should use and do not. So perhaps the U1 and U2 click would allow the fast transistion?

Gotta disagree with you there. I think a lot of folks use U1/U2. I didn't for the longest time when I first got my D7200 (coming from D5500) but then finally did and wished I had started using them much sooner. They are great. I love that the Z6 has 3 user modes - it's perfect for me.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, when your favourite genres are as far apart as mine are - Macro with Flash and nightscapes, U1 and U2 save so much time it is crazy to not use it.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Indeed, not utilizing U1 and U2 is giving up one of the best tools of the pro-sumer cameras.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2019
    U1 for the normal wedding groups and U2 for the disco. Essentially U1. A at F8+auto iso and U2. P wide open in the dark with auto iso . You know that when you turn the camera ON it goes to the correct unchangeable settings.

This is essentially why the memories on the D500/8XX etc are junk. Just tape the dials, the movement of which would change the memory and go A to P with the mode button. Reset everything when you go out shooting birds rather than people.
    One reason for hanging on to the D7200 is I can have U1 set for birds and U2 for the general stuff ebay photos etc and not suddenly find I am at 1/1000 min
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited March 2019
    I suggest rethinking that Davey. I use the user settings on my D7200 and D750 extensively.

U1 is for things that move slowly or not at all and for which I want the best IQ possible. Mostly landscapes and portraiture.

U2 is for things that move more rapidly, but in predictable ways - think motor racing or air shows. Both U1 and U2 are set for aperture priority and differ primarily with respect to things like auto ISO max and focusing mode (single point for U1, D-9 for U2).

The third setting is selecting the manual exposure mode. I generally use this for things that move rapidly, but do so in unpredictable ways. Birds, wildlife and such. The camera retains the baseline settings from the last time I used that mode, so it gives me something like a U3.

So. I can just fire up the camera, select U1, U2, or M, depending on the target and my baseline AF and exposure settings are waiting for me.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    Since we are all sharing, I had U1 set for tripod work (aperture priority, 30 sec max exposure before auto ISO kicks in, back button focus) and U2 set to sports/action (shutter priority, Auto ISO set to 1/500 sec).

On Z6 since it has three modes I use U1 for tripod, U2 for general handheld stuff, and U3 for sports.
    In fact you have 4 preset functions..U1 U2 A (which can be set different to Us) and P which is good for dark no flash scenarios,,
    That's true.

And if you do video then they are doubled since the video settings are separate from the stills settings.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    So even outside the user modes a different set of setting choices can be retained by each PSAM mode? I should have thought they would, but was congratulating myself for having conned the camera into letting me have 3 and didn't bother to try it. :#
    No not by each one but collectively they can kind of be considered a third user mode.
    A farm accident cost me my beloved D7500 and 16-80. It got crashed through the brush, breaking off parts and worse. So my only camera to use right now is the D7200. I have the 70-300, the 200-500, and a Sigma 10-20 2.8, that is it. I can take another zoom off a D7100 which we rarely use anymore. Now to decide if I endanger my credit card status by buying a replacement D7500 and 16-80 or a Z6 with FTZ and S 24-70 f4 which is frankly too much money. My land tax bill is way too high to get the mirrorless Z6 besides I am not sold it is a better choice for me. My Son And Grandson though think video is the only photo related imagery worth doing. They may want me to do still wedding work and now I need another body and wide to normal zoom. Not a good situation to be in!
    That really stinks, sorry.

You sure it can't be fixed? Even if it is a junker I would put it on eBay. It should bring enough $$ to at least be worth your while.

As far as Z6 vs. another D7500 - I would say if you regularly shoot at ISO 1600+ then the Z6 would definitely be worth the upgrade. If not then maybe not. Personally I think the D7500 is overpriced right now, just because so many other cameras have heavy discounts while the D7500 is pretty much full price. You can get a D7200 for $700 new. I know you prefer the D7500 but paying another $450 for it seems like too much to me.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Argh! Not your beloved D7500 & 16-80? That is a pain. Sorry to hear that. Honestly, I would get the D500 and another 16-80. You will love the AF.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    ADKDaveyJ said:

A farm accident cost me my beloved D7500 and 16-80. It got crashed through the brush, breaking off parts and worse. So my only camera to use right now is the D7200. I have the 70-300, the 200-500, and a Sigma 10-20 2.8, that is it. I can take another zoom off a D7100 which we rarely use anymore. Now to decide if I endanger my credit card status by buying a replacement D7500 and 16-80 or a Z6 with FTZ and S 24-70 f4 which is frankly too much money. My land tax bill is way too high to get the mirrorless Z6 besides I am not sold it is a better choice for me. My Son And Grandson though think video is the only photo related imagery worth doing. They may want me to do still wedding work and now I need another body and wide to normal zoom. Not a good situation to be in!

That really stinks. I guess if you really wanted another DX camera, you could buy refurbished and use it for now. Unless you use adaptors on the Z cameras, I don't think you're going to get the same lens flexibility with the Z cameras yet until they put out a full mirrorless lens kit.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Since I have shot a LOT on the D500 I know I personally prefer the D7500 partly due to price. Despite the fact that the D500 is reduced more. I know the 16-80 is very good. So it appears you all think the Z6 FTZ and 24-70 f4 S is not going to be as effective in the field as the D7500 and another 16-80? Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see or much less try the Z6 rig for my conditions. To say the least the rig I did destroy is lost. Only found the broken lens barrel, really trashed, and the LCD screen. Could find no other parts and I looked for seven hours on two seperate days dressed in fully protective field gear. The Z6 video would be better than the D7500 video I am certain.
    edited March 2019
    I am very reluctant to purchase a refurb due to less warranty, etc. Our D500 is in a expensive Ikelite UW housing and is no longer available to switch to. But because I used that camera a lot, I know I actually would just as soon get yet another D7500. As to the D7500 new price, it is sure not going UP!
    Post edited by ADKDaveyJ on
    Z6 video is pretty amazing, I think.

"So it appears you all think the Z6 FTZ and 24-70 f4 S is not going to be as effective in the field as the D7500 and another 16-80?"

I don't know that I would say that. Unless you are shooting BIF or action (unlikely with a 16-80). I just wasn't sure how much better the Z6 would be. What kind of stuff do you usually shoot?

The lack of reach on the 24-70 compared to the 16-80 is a little annoying, but overall something that is pretty easy to live with since the lens is so good.
    To mhedges: I do have the 70-300 AF-P DX VR lens too, which I could use on the Z6 FTZ but as it is DX....I do have several other 70-300s all of which are FX, but NOT the newest one. The lack of reach with the 24-70 S f4 would be a factor....but I often use the lower end and the S lens ratings appeal to me. In terms of stopping down, which I use far more than almost anyone here....I was often shooting the D7500 at f11. That is NOT recommended with the Z6 from what I can tell. I tend to go for as much depth of field as possible, but at some point diffraction, etc., kick in. If I get the Z6rig I am into a two month lag to get my pennies saved up to buy the higher priced Z6 FTX And f4 zoom., Thank you fir your response asI know you have the Z6 and have seen directly what I need to understand before leaping off another cliff....
    Sure. no problem.

To be honest I would not recommend the DX AF-P 70-300 for use on the Z6. I found it to be a kind of soft lens on my D7200. Cropping down to the Z6's ~10 mp DX crop might help with that some, but still I wouldn't want to use it.

The FX version is quite good though, and works great on the Z6. It's basically the same tech as in the Z lenses, after all.

As far as DOF you will have less on the Z6. It is quite noticeable. I have stopped down to F16 occasionally, and not noticed too much in the way of diffraction softness.
    I have some photos taken on the D7200’s with the 70-300 AF-P DX VR lens that amazing. Pelicans flying, diving, hiting the water etc., that appear wire sharp on big screens. I have tried my somewhat older 70-300s on my D7200 and thought they were certainly no sharper, or even somewhat softer than the fly by wire lens.....the 200-500 though seems sharper than the 70-300 at 200-300, 400, and 500? But as I was shooting the D7500 often with the 200-500 that is not all that was involved. And these were mostly Whitetail Deer and not test targets....
    Your f16 on Z6 notes are important to me! Also of some concern is the depth of field being somewhat less on the Z6. Not what I usually want at all. Thank you for your comments!
    Found the rest of the D7500 camera. It will still take photos....we’ll see ......
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    ADKDaveyJ said:

Found the rest of the D7500 camera. It will still take photos....we’ll see ......

This is good news.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    ADKDaveyJ said:

So it appears you all think the Z6 FTZ and 24-70 f4 S is not going to be as effective in the field as the D7500 and another 16-80?

No, I was evaluating it strictly from a cost effectiveness/work flow standpoint. You don't want to be dealing with lens converters if you can avoid it. I have no doubt the Z cameras are competent cameras, but I know I certainly wouldn't want to deal with lens converters, especially if you want to use your Z camera with telephoto and then suddenly want to switch to wider angles. It seems like you like shooting in tough conditions too, I'm not sure if you want to swap lenses out and deal with a converter.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S