Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Anyone want to take bets on the next Z lens to be announced? I’m guessing the 85 1.8?

Are there any upcoming events where an announcement would be likely?
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

Anyone want to take bets on the next Z lens to be announced? I’m guessing the 85 1.8?

Announced as in "available for pre-order"? If so, I'd say the Noct. There was a already a working copy you could try out at NAB. I believe the 85/1.8 isn't until Q4.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    BVS said:

Announced as in "available for pre-order"? If so, I'd say the Noct. There was a already a working copy you could try out at NAB. I believe the 85/1.8 isn't until Q4.

You are probably right. Somehow I forgot about the Noct.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

WEF: I also believe great bokeh will be one of the design criteria for Nikon's new f1.4, f1.t far back myself!

Well said Donaldjose.
    mhedges said:

OK. This is a pure guess. I say the 70-200 2.8.
    Symphotic said:

I would rather not pay a lot for bokeh when I can use Photoshop to smooth backgrounds. I prefer to pay for across the frame sharpness. The 58 f/1.4 (and the my old Noct) have pretty bokeh, but aren't the sharpest lenses out there. I find when I experiment with bokeh, composing the bokeh is just as much a job as composing the subject.
    I use my lenses on my job for a somewhat different purpose than artistic photographers do, so my preferences don't apply to them. For recreational purposes, I use what I have. So I'm not likely to buy the Noct /.95 as I can't think of an application for it. A native S mount 105 Micro-Nikkor /2.8 would be a great lens for me, though.

Good perspective. Different from mine, and I am not implying mine is somehow better. But I am a sucker for creamy bokeh with nice focus to out of focus transitions.

mhedges said:

OK. This is a pure guess. I say the 70-200 2.8.
    It could be. I was thinking a prime would be next since the last two releases have been zooms.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Camera Labs finished its 24-70/2.8S review and it got a "highly recommended".

Verdict and comparison to other lenses:

https://cameralabs.com/nikon-z-24-70mm-f2-8-s-review/4/

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    BVS said:

Camera Labs finished its 24-70/2.8S review and it got a "highly recommended"....

I tried mine out for the first time last night. It focuses nicely, has a useful extra button I used as an exposure lock while using the back of the body button for focus lock, and I programmed the spare ring for exposure compensation. It is not as heavy and awkward as I thought it would be, and on the Z7 it is nice to hold. I even tried my hand at video, and the vibration reduction mode for hand held video was excellent.

Yes, it's expensive, but it is nice.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    My 14-30 shipped this morning. Anyone else getting one?
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    mhedges said:

Mine hasn't shipped yet. I hesitated at the time it was released, so I won't get mine until later next week, when I will be on a job out of country, so it should be waiting for me when I get back.

I'll watch this space to see what you think of your new lens!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Symphotic said:

mhedges said:

Mine hasn't shipped yet. I hesitated at the time it was released, so I won't get mine until later next week, when I will be on a job out of country, so it should be waiting for me when I get back.

I'll watch this space to see what you think of your new lens!
    It showed up today. I didn’t do anything with it other than open it and mount it on the camera.

Folks who liked the size and feel of the kit lens will find more of the same here. Personally I think they have a very nice feel to them, but there’s no mistaking them for the built-like-a-tank 2.8 lenses.

I’m hoping to get some clicks in with it this week. Certainly by the weekend at the latest.
    edited April 2019
    Quick size comparison with my (now sold) Sigma 14-24. The 14-30 is shorter, but the really big difference is in the weight. Z lens is shown fully extended - it gets shorter as you zoom in.

Z 14-30 vs. Sigma ART 14-24
    Post edited by mhedges on
    Looks like I will have 2 Z lenses to report on - one of the Blog commentators let me know about the Nikon USA refurb sale - just ordered the Z 50 1.8 for $450.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    @mhedges congrats. Let us know how you find it. 50 is my least useful length, but hopefully Nikon can take the praised optical success from that lens and give us some smaller pancakes and some good teles in the future.

My next international trip sadly I'm going to leave the Z7 at home and bring my A9 instead mainly because of the available lenses (a 24 and a 135 prime will comprise my kit this trip).

@mhedges congrats. Let us know how you find it. 50 is my least useful length, but hopefully Nikon can take the praised optical success from that lens and give us some smaller pancakes and some good teles in the future.

My next international trip sadly I'm going to leave the Z7 at home and bring my A9 instead mainly because of the available lenses (a 24 and a 135 prime will comprise my kit this trip).

Yes honestly I’m not sure how useful I will find it. I have the 50 1.8G lens and I hardly every used it. Plan was to wait for the 85 1.8 but then I came across this deal and decided to give it a shot. I figure I can always sell it and not lose much $$.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    This 50mm f/1.8 S is the best ever and I had all Nikon versions. Walked around many years of my life with a 50mm lens on my camera.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited April 2019
    You just hit me up if you decide you don't want the 50mm. I'll make sure you don't lose any money.
    Post edited by Searcy on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Z, 70-200 f4 is on the road map -- YEA! I love the Z, 24-70 f4. The pair will make a great travel kit.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    That's great for those that want it. I'll probably just stick with my 70-300 AF-P lens unless the Z mount is much smaller.
  • ADKDaveyJADKDaveyJ Posts: 55Member
    I think mhedges is right the way I think. 70-300 f4-5.6 would be more modest in size and a FAR more useful range. I think Nikon is aiming too much at MTF academic goals rather than what is practical and will sell. Maybe a 70-200 f4 which would be far better than a 70-200 f2.8 would appeal to the wedding crowd, but in the field a 70-300 is a far better catch all lens. My guess is a new design sensible f stop Z Mount lens would be one of the most popular Z Mount lens. I would wager it will be forever before the new S 24-70 f4 is outsold. It is a BEAUTIFUL lens!
    edited April 2019
    Hey all I did some street / architecture photography tests with my 14-30 this weekend. Uploaded some shots to a flickr album at full res if you are interested. I have not pixel peeped these to death yet - in general what I have seen has been fine. Bear in mind this is on Z6 - Z7 of course would be more demanding. I can certainly say that it is far more pleasant to use than the Sigma 14-24 I was using, and the extra 6mm on the long end is useful.

Album is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmANrH1R

Here's a sample shot:

DZ6_8017
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Thanks, nice album and great info Mark, super quality.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore