Is anyone still buying D850 today?

124»

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    D850 just dropped to £2099 pound v yen I guess
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    Most seem to be £2450, and there's an extra £450 on top of a trade-in. It's getting very tempting
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Can't compare grey with normal...
    Always learning.
    edited November 2018
    Need to explain that Spray ..after a couple of years its no difference when you sell it. I have never found any difference in the quality or performance between normal or grey
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Is the support from Nikon the same? My account now has no bodies assigned to my lenses so if I ask D850 related questions, what are they going to say?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Depends on what country you are in. Nikon Canada and the USA, Nikon will not even touch gray market gear, or each other’s unless you are a NPS member, they just send it back if you send it for repair. If you can get parts and fix it yourself go for it, if not it may not be worth the risk.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Nikon doesn’t sell parts separately anymore. That’s what I’ve heard, anyway.
    Spray if you want to stay NPS then just find a D850 on ebay for sale ..read off the number from the photos and register that ….no problem. I checked with a major London camera repairer and they said grey no problem we will mend it .
    My grey came with a three year repair in uk warranty so I am not worried, but I would have preferred to buy a euro version to support the system (shops, repair centre etc).
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I find anything less than snappy salutes from people I give money to annoying, so I will stay away from Grey.
    Absolutely - but I saved a grand so...
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    If I had done that with my D800, I would have ended up with a D810, because the D850 was not out when the shutter broke.

$1,000 is a serious amount. I think that the calculus depends on how Nikon treats Grey market warranty in your own country.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    mhedges said:

Nikon doesn’t sell parts separately anymore. That’s what I’ve heard, anyway.

Nikon USA does not, but Nikon Canada and others do.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited November 2018
    I have the XQD card …...D810 sold just waiting for the D850 to arrive.
    My original idea was to just have two D7200 for the bird photography when I retire from the weddings in April but if I have a D7200 and a D850 it only costs me £400 more .I also reduces my exposure to falling resale values with a bad Brexit. What changed my mind was a u tuber doing bird photography who said "I grab my d850 in preference to the D500 when I go shoot birds" Good enough for him good enough for me .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    The AF of the D850 is its greatest strength IMO. Blows me away.
    Always learning.
    My 850 is on its way . e infinity sent me a photo of it prior to shipping with the paperwork in the photo (serial etc) so for £2089 I am not complaining .( yet)
    I also bought a 3rd party grip for £30 and a silicone skin for £12 and a Lexar XQD for £50 . only 32 GB but ok for me.
  • bestbuddy8sbestbuddy8s Posts: 3Member
    Well I did bought Nikon D850 like a 2 months ago and at first I was not happy.. Quality was bad, I wasn't able to get photos even close as with my older cheaper camera. However, I then read few guides online, the one from LensesPro site helped me a lot and I decided to go with a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G and wow! Now I am loving my Nikon D850 camera, I am not sure why people dont like it, is it the lack of AF or what, but I think it is a good camera and would recommend it to anyone! :)
    Read guys, learn new stuff, improve yourself. If I didn't use Google I would not know that lenses are more important then camera itself.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Funny this was posted exactly one year ago and I just got my first Nikon D850 this week. It is also my first Nikon of any kind, having been a Canon shooter for two decades (and Pentax K1000 before that). I have not tried the camera yet, but I look forward to it.

I have only glanced at it (busy week), have not even attached a lens yet, but one feature is love at first sight: the mirror lockup is on the top dial! I use it sometimes for landscapes and cityscapes and on my Canon 5D4 I have to dig through the menus to turn it on or off.
    edited July 2019
    Well if you shoot jpeg or want a sharp LCD display don't forget to turn the sharpness up to +9 in the picture control and leave the clarity alone . doing the fine focus adjust is essential but easy as its computerised.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • navtombrosnavtombros Posts: 2Member
    edited July 2019
    My D7100 that I've ran into the ground over the last few years finally died last week. Been eyeing the D850 for a long time, rented it for a week to shoot wildlife in Florida last March. Absolutely loved the camera. I may finally get one this week or next.
    Post edited by navtombros on
    Good choice. Hope your PC or Mac is up to it!
    Always learning.