D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• ADKDaveyJADKDaveyJ Posts: 55Member
    OK lots of. Reviews of Z6 and the 200-500 and that looks like very, very good!
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    One thing not in the D500 I would like to have seen is the focus stacking system like the D850 has. The dogwoods will soon be in bloom and I want to try and do a multi row large format print without interpolation at 44" x 72" or similar. Not that I need it I just want to do it. It serves no real purpose other than a conversation piece. It would be rather stunning on a wall I have begging for something to be on it.
    Having shot with a lot of cameras in the field and being at the Blue Angels Key West Show and seeing the results my son Robin has with the D500 (out of our Ilkelite UW housing)., I have finally decided my next move in photographic equipment. Still believing in traditional photography and some video, and DX for what I want, i.e. depth of field and FAST focus, I decided to aquire within a few days the D500;and 16-80 lens B&H kit. I think, for me , it is best. Paired with my 200-500, the 16-80, the 70-300 AF-P DX VR, the 60 micro Nikkor 60mm, itis the best add on to what I have. This way I have a D500 for my exclusive use, and it will be even better than my beloved D7500 for a couple of reasons, perhaps even the two card system. Video is better though, with the new Z6. But I need a system which will take great wildlife still photos in the field with the 1.5 multiplier effect so that would be my choice even over the great D850. What does the NR experts think of this?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Great choices in body and lenses.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I do not have any of the these lenses but have shot with a 200-500 and it is good. Sometimes I wish I had two D500's to shoot with out taking time to change lenses.
    I shoot with the second card as backup to the first just wish it were XQD, same as the first slot.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is what I suggested several posts back Davey so I still think it is a great idea! :)

I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Always learning.
    My son is pushing for me to get a Z6 outfit instead. He and his son are shooting video where every frame is equal to the D 500 image. The Z6 is better for video, that much we do know.

There is only $342 dollars difference between the two rigs. The Z6 fits better with my son and grandson’s commercial photo shoots. But the decision is mine and soraynpray’s view of all this has always been one of my favorite’s. I do feel,the D500 is faster for sport and wildlife imagery. I also am very familiar with the D7200, D500, and D7500. I did greatly relie on the D7500 but a D500 is superior for speed although bigger and more expensive and I can do the D7500 and 16-80 kit right now. Since I have a D7200 and often use it with the D7500 along, the lack of onboard flash is not compelling on the D500. Unless something changes when one month from now I purchase the D500 outfit.
    Some how I had never noticed the lock button on the remote trigger that I put on the D500 so I wouldn't move the camera pressing the shutter button. What a racket it makes when the lock get's lock and you can't find the unlock move in dim light indoors. No doubt about the buffer size and speed that it dumps onto the XQD memory card. :blush:
    I am happy shooting the D500 & D7200 side by side.
    edited April 2019
    I shot with a D7200, D500, and D7500 today. The primary reaction I had was what lens, what subject, what lighting. They by my standards are all great cameras. But my urge to use a FX camera is very low. I have shot with a D850 enough to know that is one of the world’s best cameras. Not owning a Z series camera though makes me still in the dark there. Also aerial, and steadily cam pro photo shoots are incredibly gear high tech situations. More and more still shots are not the driver in photoshoots I have been part of. I did myself not take any video today. But I believe for my purposes the Z6, FTZ, And 24-70 f4 and use of my f Mount other lenses would work pretty well.

Sure wish though some sensible f4 to F5.6 S longer lenses were going to come out before I stop shooting due to severe old age. That holds me back on Z6.

To retread: still shooting D7200 and D500.....they are both incredible tools. Now the mission is to be at the right place at the right time. I don’t even know how many Nikon lens I own. But put me in a situation where I can see the subject, lighting, etc., and then the NEXT step for stills at least, is what lens!! And of course get the DSLR and that lens at the right settings. Also it is usually 400 ISO to about 1600 ISO outdoors in daylight. Indoor and night shooting is a whole different deal!
    Post edited by ADKDaveyJ on
    ADKDaveyJ: I have lenses sitting on the shelf I do not use. Just six in the bags.
    I use my D500 for sports and things that move fast as BIF. I use the D7200 mostly for things that are still or not moving fast. Usually with a 150-600 when I need all 600mm and the extra pixels let me crop more. These lenses are all f2.8 except the 150-600. They are good for nighttime sports, end of day wildlife and separating subject from background.

I carry both of them with me for what I am shooting so I can shoot with two lenses and not have to loose time changing lenses, miss shots or risk getting dust in the cameras.

The Z cameras are slowing my desire to move to FX. I don't think they are quite where I want them to be for the way I use them. Then there is the question where DX is going. I don't want to give up what I am using now. 4 of the 6 six lenses I use are FX f mount lenses. I have to figure (like you I think) how my age and the $$$ fit into all this. If I had to move to FX today it would be the D850 I believe.
    The D850 and 200-500 is excellent. I have used the D500 with the 200-500 and think both have a huge amount to offer. I have used the Tamron 150-600 G1 and G2 a lot before finally deciding on a 200-500 5.6 Nikkor. If Nikon did a Z series DX I would be even more interested. But again, that will take time. My purchases will continue to be Nikon DSLR DX and have even got email from Thom Hogan asking me.....”If farming field photographing is so dangerous for photo gear, why would you buy more expensive gear?” His exact wording was a little different but that was my take on his excellent advice. I shoot, when I can just like retread does, two Nikon’s, both with the lens that have the best chance of working.

What actually is now the MOST important are the photographic opportunity, not the very latest gear. Having shot the D500 a lot (and I really love that camera) the D7500 is very good and that is what mostly I have the 16-80 on now. But when I need long tele, switching to the 200-500 5.6 is extremely useful. When 70-300 AF-P DX VR is needed, that is on my D7200 almost all the time anymore. The 16-80 used to be on the D7200 mostly. Sometime soon my 18-55 lens will be stowed to use in cases where the D3200 used to be carried. One bad thing about the D3200 is that it cannot run the stepper motor fly by wire Lens. The D3300 and newer can. I won’t probably buy another D 3500 or newer camera, which are EXCELLENT but just taken$400 away from my target cameras.

Some of my best advice has come from NR. Someday I will actually attend one of their meetings! Nikon might be now creating roadmaps! But NR is my best source of heads up on camera development.

Finally one topic I should once again repeat.....mostly I am out for wire sharp edge to edge photos. Not one portion razor sharp, rest blurred out. Shallow depth of field almost always leaves me discouraged that that glance into a scene cannot be examined to see what I did not see with the first glimpse. That is what keeps me from charging headlong into videos and seeing still photos as being old fashioned. And yes, in every sense of the wording....I am old fashioned. My home up North looks like you were going back 100 years. But 2019 has so much to offer, Today’s Cameras are amazing. “Today is worth the living, I don’t have to see the end.”
    With a firmware up grade on the horizon what would you like in addition to the CFexpress cards? One thing that comes to my mind is 9 point AF.
    edited October 2019
    retread said:

With a firmware up grade on the horizon what would you like in addition to the CFexpress cards? One thing that comes to my mind is 9 point AF.

Totally agree with both. I would like the CFexpress when shooting moving objects small or large. The 9 point AF would also be welcome when shooting nature. One new major addition would be the increase of from F8 on the few to F11 usability on those 9 points. The ability to autofocus at f11 for a TC 2.0 on the 200-500mm lens for early morning and at dusk photography would make me hang tight to my D500 that much more. The D500 updated like this would certainly put more beans on the table and maybe a steak once in awhile. :smiley: And while they are at it bump it to 12fps and an ISO native down to ISO 32?
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am amazed how many D500s I see at off road motorcycle races with pros who major in taking still photos with zoom lens for sale to,racers. We even hired one to make these available for racers for free when a GNCC was held on our farm. They are often using FF Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens. Gets the photos they want and keeps them a little out of harms way.
    edited October 2019
    I have used the D7200 at the same day using the D500 or D7500 on hundreds of days. Always fail to see one single ounce of advantage of the 24 MP D7200....maybe even the opposite. But the functionality of the D500 and D7500 makes the D7200 look far from perfect. Those who think the D7200 is far superior to the D7500 or especially to the D500 are looking at images that I have yet to see.

The 24 MP versus 20 MP is not there in any way I could determine using big screens and lots of patience with all three cameras. The D7200 lack of 4K video though gets all of my D7200 passed over when the editor reviews the work for compiling into a multi camera, multi shooter movie from a given event. So those who feel the 24 MP “advantage” over the D500 sensor are reaching for a difference not proven in actual field use. Perhaps you have had different results, but I greatly doubt it was proven in the crucible of actual side by side usage.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    My D7200 get a lot of rest now that I have a D500 in the bag. I have no problem printing 24x36" posters or nature prints on canvas form images captured with it. The faster focusing makes up for better images than the few extra pixels the D7200 has. Couple that with the time savings of dumping images from higher speed chips to the PC I just don't shoot the D7200 that often anymore. I would grab site unseen a D510 with 24+ MP if no reduction in fps and focusing were sacrificed.
    I shoot them both. The D500 for the things that move fast & in low light and the D7200 for back up and things that don't move so fast. I set the controls as near the same as I can. Saves a lot of lens changing also.

For wildlife I often have a long lens on both. For sports usually a longer lens on the D500 and a shorter one on the D7200. What lenses depends on if I am indoors or out.
    I have yet to see a macro image where the 20mp D500/D7500 matches the 24mp D7100/D7200. If fast focusing is required, then yes, the D500/D7500 is the biz but with macro it isn't usually a problem the problem is mainly placement of the DoF and then in my experience, the best detail comes from the higher res sensors.
    Always learning.
    I couldn't get close enough to most of the butterflies this season to use my 105mm macro. Most images were taken with the 200-500mm and the 70-200 f4G. I think from what I learned this year that a D850 with a 300mm f4 would make a good combo and intend on giving it a workout next summer. 9 fps is close enough to 10 to work. With ice on the bird baths I don't expect anymore chances this year. I've been printing larger than life poster size prints of the butterflies to show the fine details that the naked eye doesn't see and they have been well received. With some luck there will be a body with 61MP to test my theories on if not a new version of a D500 with 24-30MP.... One can wish free.
    I found that using full frame on macro is a disadvantage compared to a 24mp DX. The pixel density is better on the DX, and it only uses the best part of the FX lens plus it is smaller and lighter. The biggest limitation shooting macro is DoF not the AF system - you have to get the subject parallel to the sensor and make it as 2D as possible or you are screwed. I get massive DoF using my little 40mp telephone, but even the Leica lenses in that can't compete with a proper camera.
    Always learning.

I found that using full frame on macro is a disadvantage compared to a 24mp DX. The pixel density is better on the DX, and it only uses the best part of the FX lens plus it is smaller and lighter. The biggest limitation shooting macro is DoF not the AF system - you have to get the subject parallel to the sensor and make it as 2D as possible or you are screwed. I get massive DoF using my little 40mp telephone, but even the Leica lenses in that can't compete with a proper camera.

I have a hunter's turkey blind that I can setup close enough to my butterfly bush to use the D7200 with the 105mm 2.8G. Heart of the lens and 24mp. I looked back and I did use that combination for some shots this year with butterflies and bees and such. Now to find a scent that will draw the critters to a certain flower that is in the best light and distance and angle. I think that is called baiting. :wink: One other thought is to spring for a IRIX 150mm f/2.8 Macro and learn to manual focus again. For what they are worth review seem to be all positive. Still I don't trust reviews.

Very wise. They have caused me to waste a LOT of money over the years. :s
    Always learning.
    No camera in the world has interested me more and I have seen really impressive images from than the D500. It is nearly a perfect DSLR. It NEEDS a pop up flash! The pixel density of this camera is a huge advantage and a update with increased ExSpeed, built in flash is the DSLR FLAGSHIP DX with HUGE advantages over FX. Nikon will probably opt to redo this camera in Z Mount, but I am not sure that is going to perform or capture the already established D500 Pro user base. NO Other camera caused so many Canon Pros to switch to Nikon. It is now 2020. The revised D500 would be one giant step forward for mankind!
    I am happy with my D500. There are some things I would change on it but doubt I would up grade unless something happens to this one. I am concentrating on improving the photographer. No need for pop up flash. It will not clear the lens, or lens hood, of most my lenses so need external flash any way. If I am not bouncing the flash it is on a mount so I can keep it centered above the lens for both landscape and portrait orientation.