snap bridge

2»

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Looks like Nikon heard our complaints and is giving us direct WiFi connectivity.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8252606558/nikon-firmware-updates-add-direct-wi-fi-connectivity-to-d850-d5600-and-d7500

Seems like a good thing?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Yes it is.

Hopefully they open up the Bluetooth control too so we can get some nice cheap bluetooth remotes.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Now hope that this is also the case with the Nikon Z6 and Z7 firmware.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    That would help. The promise of SnapBridge is good, the implementation not-so-much.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited May 2019
    Every 6 months or so I try out SnapBridge. It never works well for me and I go back to using Nikon WMU.
    Post edited by Searcy on
    edited August 2019
    Latest Snapbridge update, my first quick check with the Nikon Z6 and my Nokia 8:

1. Connection via Bluetooth works good for me, Snapbridge download the photo's in the map "DCIM/camera/snapbrige" on my SD card as 1680 x 1020 JPG.
    2. These are put on my Synology NAS 218+ via my phone (data VPN connection, not WiFi).
    3. I also use Snapbridge with my Samsung Tab3 as tether device.
    4. Waiting for a Windows 10 version now.

1. WiFi connection to transfer the photo's to the phone in full resolution works, you can choose RAW or JPG and which photo's, so if you want, it is there, but slow of course.
    2. Wifi connection with your phone as remote control works good now, you can change the aperture, shutterspeed and ISO. tap your phone (or tablet) screen on the point you want, for very quick focus, the range I checked was about 8 meters, but always but but .........
    2a. When you take the photo the screen becomes black, because the photo is uploaded to your phone as 1680 x 1020 JPG, don't want this here, but I cannot find anything to switch this off, so unusable for me as a remote control via my phone or tablet to make a quick serie different photo's.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited October 2019
    Today I received the update to Snapbridge 2.6.1, which promised an improvement in the connections. My desktop system is Windows 10, my mobile phone is the Samsung S10 and my tablet is the Samsung Galaxy tab S3. I made the connection with the Nikon Z6 all the way from the beginning, so first removed Snapbridge from my mobile and tablet and restarted de devices.

Important: Make the connection from your mobile phone or tablet with Snapbridge !!

1. Install Snapbridge and do not change anything.
    2. Note: On my cell phone, data is always on, no WiFi
    3. Turn on "Bluetooth" on the mobile phone.
    4. Turn the camera on and press "Connect to smart device" on
    5. Then "Start pairing" on and follow the steps in Snapbridge.
    6. Pairing started in Snapbridge on the mobile phone and follow the messages.
    7. Don't touch the camera until you see the message to confirm the code !!
    8. Bluetooth connection ready.

Info, be patient, put the camera and the mobile phone next to each other and take your time, so wait for the messages Snapbridge gives to see what to do.

If I switch on my mobile device Snapbridge and Bluetooth now, then a connection is always made to the camera automatically, so leave the camera on. If you switch it off and on again, the connection will be made automatically again. When you are familiar with everything, switch "connection" on the camera off, for battery saving, I don't do this, because I have always enough power available and bluetooth don't take much.

My photos now always appear automatically on my mobile device in the resolution 1620 x 1080, which is fine for me, I can now view them clearly on my tablet.

When everything went well I also made the connection via WiFi in Snapbridge, after which you can also download the photos in full resolution. Not an option for me, because it is way too slow.

Remote control for the camera now works good and you have life view on your mobile.

Now see if it will last.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    @Ton14, that's encouraging, thanks for reporting. I'll have some time next week to try it, with WiFi...
    edited October 2019
    @ggbutcher Some extra info: Setup the Bluetooth connection first and test it, switching it on and off on the camera and Snapbridge and if that works then make the connection with WiFi, but do this in Snapbridge.

And take your time.

@spraynpray Hope it works on the D850 as well now, fingers crossed.

I did a test today, switched bluetooth on, on the mobile, started Snapbridge, wait till it made the connection with the Z6, what went quick, put the phone in my pocket and all the photo's were transfered with 1680 x 1020 px. no problems. I also switched the camera off several times, it connects automatic when you turn the camera on again.

For me Snapbridge is a kind of tethering with my tablet, only to see the photo's in a bigger format and on a much better screen (oled). I don't use Adobe software anymore, but Exposure 5 and Affinity, no subscription needed.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    How's that going with Affinity and Exposure 5? Please PM me. I would love to get away from Adobe but it just seems they have designed their products so you are trapped.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2019
    For me Snapbridge works very good at the moment.

In Capture One I made a session which looks to a folder I named "Camera".
    You can set a standard folder in Lightroom to watch too.

Pair the camera via bluetooth with Snapbridge, do this from the Snapbridge app. This is a one time operation.

1. Start Snapbridge on the phone or tablet, with bluetooth and WiFi on, that is all.

2. Every time I switch-ON my Nikon Z6, the camera automatic connects via Bluetooth with the paired device I choose, my mobile phone (Samsung S10) or tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 3).
    3. My photo's are then automaticly transfered in 1620px X 1080px .JPG to the device in the folder you choose. When you switch off the camera it will continue when you switch it on again.

4. These photo's also transfer from my mobile phone or tablet via WiFi/4G connection to my server (the Synology DS218+).
    4a. This is an extra when you have a server, watch your data usage when you use a 4G data connection.

When I start the session in Capture One, the photo's also there, this is the 1620 x 1080 .JPG part and it works fine and fast enough after the last Snapbridge update.
    A very nice kind of wireless tethering on a tablet, Capture one and Lightroom.

I also use the second possibility in Snapbridge sometimes.

5. In Snapbridge click on "Download Photo's".
    6. Snapbridge shows you that it starts the local WiFi connection with the Nikon Z6 (takes 30-60 seconds).
    7. Select the photo's you want and these photo's will upload to the phone or tablet (I have a 512GB SDcard in it).
    7a. You can choose for 2mb maximum (which are already on my phone or tablet in 1620 x 1080) or originals, in the settings you can choose RAW, JPG or both and even video.

Of course RAW and video are not recommended, only when you have time and enough batteries :) , but original .JPG's are quick enough.

When on my tablet or mobile phone these photo's are also transfered to my NAS. I have an unlimited data 4g subscription.

The local WiFi connection from the camera to Snapbridge is switched off every time after the uploads from camera to Snapbridge. When using the "remote option" the local WiFi stays on.

I only need a good Android culling app now.
    Post edited by Ton14 on